SRS Mom's an alcoholic

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by m3s3lf, Sep 10, 2005.

1. m3s3lf

m3s3lf *Jeep Crew*

My mom's an alcoholic and has been almost all my life. I take it very personally (for a variety of reasons). I want to try to understand her problem so that I can be more help to her (and myself), but I keep running into the same problem. I don't believe in a "higher power". I've been to AA meetings and spoken to several recovering alcoholics, but they all rely on this "higher power".

Does anybody know somebody that stopped drinking without relying on this "higher power" or does anybody have any thoughts on why this helps people quit? (Please refrain from "because there is a god" and trying to convince me there is a higher power in general.)

Thanks a lot.

2. memory

memory New Member

There isn't, and if you insult members again I'll castrate you.

~Demon

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2005
  3. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

the higher power is there for those who need it... it isn't necessarily a god per se, however most associate it with one.

It can be anything, a stuffed animal, a pillow, or a note on the refridgerator.
    Basically, grab a piece of paper and write down things that you support and don't support... like say, if you support masturbation, but don't support sex before marriage, things like that... eventually you'll have a list of what your higher power, and lower power will both be.

its not for everyone, obviously, but for some it has worked.
    others find it easier to just say god, because they've grown to accept something in their lives that they can focus on to give them the power to stay clean.

I'm not a religious person, therefore I will not associate it with a god.
    However I've been able to give myself a higher power, and associate my own morals with said higher power.
    No one but me knows what it is, and it will stay that way.

I'm coming up on 4 years next month :run:

the best thing you can do in my opinion is just attend meetings and take their use of the words higher power or god with a grain of salt, and realize that many who have entered the program have found such a thing because they had previously hit a point in their life that required them to need something of the sort. It's better to believe in a higher power, than to fall back and doubt something and return to your past habits and past life.

Not everyone will agree with this either, however.

4. m3s3lf

m3s3lf *Jeep Crew*

Congratulations on your 4 year mark and thank you for your insite.

5. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I have to agree with what Demon said. The fact is, most alcoholics/addicts who come through the doors of AA/NA have proven time and time again they cannot quit on their own. Many of them at one time thought that their way was the only way, and after an ass kicking by their addiction, began to realize maybe they did not in fact know everything. Many times we thought we had regained control for a brief instance, usually followed by a worse relapse, which led in time to pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization.

Believing in a Higher Power of any sort usually makes an alcoholic more receptive to the suggestions of others. I believe my Higher Power works through other people, especially other people in the program. I had to try it "my own way" for a long time before I was beaten badly enough to surrender. I finally tried it the way in which it was suggested in 12-step literature (complete abstinence) and took the suggestion of working the steps, getting a sponsor and attending meetings from the literature and from other recovering alcoholics. I believed my Higher Power was working through these people to make my life better. I still believe that today, hope that helps.

BTW: Try attending Al-Anon, that program may be geared better for a person in your situation. There is a link in the sticky "Where do I get help?"