Mom just picked up a Sony Bravia 40SL140 w/o researching. Need info :)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Papa Sil, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

So my mother goes to the store for milk (no, really) and comes back with this TV. The Sony Bravia 40SL140

She had been talking about getting a new TV recently, but never made mention as to when.

So she goes and gets this one because it "looked good and was on sale" :hsugh:

My question to you all is, how is this TV? I know nothing about televisions. I tried to go on an AVS forum, but everything that was being talked about was WAAAY over my head. I had absolutely no idea what was going on :rofl:

I know OT can be helpful if it wants to, so I turn to you all. :)

The TV will be used to watch regular TV for the time being. She may add HD service to her cable in the future. She watches DVD's, but no Blu Ray yet, anyhow.

I did notice that when watching regular TV that the picture was actually a bit inferior to her previous CRT television. Is this normal?

Also, please list other brands and models in this category that may be superior to the Bravia that she may end up benefiting from should she return this one.

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

The S is the bottom model line for Sony. They have the S,V, W, Z, XBR 7 and 8. They devalued all their top tier sets b/c they make so many now that look similar. Sony is overpriced for what you get, but she could have done worse. i.e. westinghouse, vizio, lg, etc. The S has very basic picture adjustment menus and will probably look pretty meh on basic cable, but once setup should be alright on HD content.

3. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

Thank you very much for your information.

I just asked her what she paid for it since she said it was on sale. She paid about $1000.00 when everything was said and done.

Would you recommend a better set in that price range. Provided we keep some of the same characteristics like 1080P, size, etc. Anything better out there for the price?

I'd like to get rid of this set if she can get better picture watching regular (SD?) tv for about the same price.

Thanks again :wavey:

4. Stupify

Stupify OT Supporter

Where did she get it? Sams Club/Costco kind of place? That model doesn't look like something you would see at a major electronics store as they have the KDL-40S4100, KDL-40SV4100, KDL-40W4100, 46" Z series and then the xbr lines

5. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

see my thread for the sceptre @ costco for a 46" 1080p for $699. Not the best TV by recognition or quality, however it did have good ratings from most dealers online.