GUN Mom furious after cops draw guns on 8-year-old

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jun 20, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8532976

Mom furious after cops draw guns on 8-year-old

Posted: June 20, 2008 05:39 PM

Updated: June 20, 2008 05:39 PM

By Patrick Center

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - The mother of an 8-year-old boy filed a complaint with the police department after officers drew their guns on the child.

On Father's Day, two GRPD officers responded to a domestic dispute of a man wielding a knife at a home on Dickinson SE. When officers arrived, the man fled out the back.

In the back alley, Ivan Hawkins was in a ninja role-playing game with his friends. Ivan, who's 5' tall, was looking in on the real-life action from behind a fence. When police saw Ivan, they told him to freeze.

But Ivan ran, and the pursuit was on.

Soon, police had their guns drawn, and Ivan was put face down on the ground with his hands behind his back.

The adult they were searching for, a 5'6" 42-year-old, got away.

Aina Clark, Ivan's mom, was furious with officers for mistaking a child for an adult, and a lack of care after the fact.

"At least bring my son home and say, 'Ma'am, this is what happened. You know, we apologize. We had a mix-up in identity.' Or anything. I didn't get anything from the police department. They just left."

She filed a complaint with the department's Internal Affairs division. Lt. Ralph Mason told 24 Hour News 8 the division has already spoken with the officers involved.

"We've talked with the officer involved that it definitely would have been the better thing to do to have taken the child to the mother and explained what happened. No question about that at all"

Mason said the mistaken identity was understandable. "The police are up on this balcony, they're about 60 feet away from where Ivan is watching them," he said. "Ivan is five feet tall, the man they're looking for is 42-years old is five-six" and also African-American.

"The reality is," Mason said, "the young person ran. And they thought they were chasing the suspect. Their job would be to investigate it. If the suspect would have been there, he would have been arrested."

--

Dumbass kid and mother IMO. I think its pretty safe to assume if you run from the cops while dressed like a ninja they'll chase you, possibly with guns drawn, and maybe even beat your ass. :dunno:

2. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Maybe next time he'll dress up like a pirate.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:rofl:

4. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I understand the mixup, but not apologizing is stupid. That kid will be changed for life.

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

5' tall 8 year old? :eek4:

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I would hope he is changed for life. When cops yell FREEZE, you don't run. Maybe he has learned this important life lesson now.

7. Liptonucf

Liptonucf wee woo wee woo wee woo

I was wondering the same thing. What is it with people always running from cops when they have no fucking reason to. Besides, Ive never seen a ninja just run. He should have thrown down a smoke ball and disappeared or something just as ninja like.

8. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

A 5" tall ninja, they were probably scared it was a real azn trying to kill them :dunno: surprised they didn't shoot before he ninja balled them

9. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

oh, and what the fuck was the kid doing wearing a ninja costume. Halloween is 4 months away...

10. springy101

springy101 When god comes and calls me to his kingdom, I'll t

5' tall at age 8 and black? That kids going to the NBA :rofl:

11. P-chan

P-chan New Member

My little girl is 6 and she's just under 5' also :wtc: The pediatrician says she's going to be over 6' when she grows up :o :o

12. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

How you doin'? :naughty:

13. Shiva Chaos

Shiva Chaos i see boobies!