Modifying LOUD fans to lower dbA?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cassetti, Nov 4, 2004.

1. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Ok - so here's the scoop - i work for a computer storage company - we buy storage units off lease and whatnot particularly from one brand - and refurbish them to sell.

Now we got a whole bunch of scsi hard drives in - and we needed to test them - seeing as how i'm the part time guy - who usually isn't that busy - i get to have fun testing these 300 some harddrives before we can sell them

now we are running an old storage shelf in the front room where my desk is to test the drives.

problem is - (as with all sever units - but this one really is bad) - the cooling systems: Big @ss super powerful fans that just are so loud you have to almost shout to the dude across the room to be heard!!!

these are just larger versions of regular fans- mounted on the back of this shelf - and only one of them is on (you need to have SOME cooling.

anyone here know of how to dissasemble a fan or something to quite it down at all????

obviously i might loose some coolign ability - but as long as the temperature doesn't rise high enough to reach the alarm point where the shelf shuts itself down - we are fine.

thanks guys! :bigthumb:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're better off regulating the voltage to the fans... Are these AC or DC fans?

3. cassetti

cassetti New Member

they are powered by the shelf - i believe they are running at 110 volt AC - but we can't slow em down - if ya do that - we would be reducing the cooling dramatically.

any other idea's? i know people have done modifications before - i've seen one guy who's computer was in maximum pc a few years back i think - and i know he wanted his computer QUIET - he did some stuff to greatly reduce the noise - as far as even putting acoustical abosorbant foam on the walls of the inside of the case!

but this is a server shelf - the fan is mounted in a big plastic thing bulding out the back of the unit (if anyone is curious - its a network appliance SS2 shelf )