Modifed workout due to injury?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Kooomar, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kooomar

Kooomar .

So, for the longest time, I followed the sticky routine. Then about 6 or 7 months ago, I herniated 2 discs in my back, L4 and L5 if anyone cares.

Its just now got to the point where I can workout again, however, theres lots of shit I can't do. Deads, squats, anything with legs, crunches/stomach, bending at the waist, etc.

So, I have basically been doing the chest, back, and arms days from the stickies. Is there anything you guys would add? Should I take an extra rest day every week? Rotate those 3 days every 4 days? What would you do?

2. CPop

CPop New Member

Have some of your other days be rehab/mobility days, and do them religiously with the goal being to return to being able to do some weight.

3. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Cpop.... what's been your most debilitating injury thus far, and what'd you do for it?

4. Thascius

Thascius Guest

It helps to ease back into the exercises you can't do right now. Pick an exercise and reduce your weight on it drastically. Make sure that if it starts hurting at all you stop. Then you can gradually work your way back up to doing your old routine.

5. CPop

CPop New Member

Tough call timber. The one that took me the longest was the stress fracture of my left forearm from heavy shirt work. That took upwards of a year to heal from. My plan was simple, take a little time off, start back with an empty bar, and go up 10-20 lbs per week. I was able to do some overhead work without pain, so I did what I could but it was a long, slow recovery.

The one that is a bigger deal to me is I screwed up a couple discs in my low back. I did it about 2 weeks after pulling 600 in a meet. Tons of rehab work with stretching the hip flexors, quads, hip mobility, changing how I train, and learning what I can and cannot push. I also regularly get massage and ice the area. This still bothers me just about every week, but I'm able to train around it for the most part. I've adjusted some of my goals so it doesn't slow me down too much.

6. Hallock

Hallock New Member

I recently sprained my SI joint—it hasn't exactly been a pleasant recovery. I also cannot squat or deadlift right now, so I'm just trying to focus on other things that I actually can do in the meantime.

Otherwise, just continue your PT and stretches.

7. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Thanks CPop.
    Have had recurring lower back issues the past few years. Thankfully right now it seems fine. Current issues are left rotator, right calf, possibly left plantar aponeurosis and elbow issues when curling. Last week and this week just going light on everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.