A&P Model photography....what do I need?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Gen5_EG, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Gen5_EG

Gen5_EG :)

I'd like to get into model photography as a hobby. I'm looking at getiting either a Canon Rebel XT or a Nikon D50. Not sure which one would do it for me. I've been using the Reble 300D from my office as a company camera, which seems to work great for me being that I have 2 years experience using it.

What else would I need on my shopping list in terms of lenses, extra battery, etc.???

2. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

A model.

3. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

psh. u need a 1DsMKII or your pictures will look like shiat. might as well add in a 85mm f/1.2, 135mm f/2, 300mm f/2.8

all at once.

4. joy division

joy division New Member

Here you go:

1. camera and camera stuff like lenses.

2. Skills with those things.

3. a studio

4. lights for the studio.
    4a. know how to use lighting

5. props for the studio

6. know some models

7. get a good reputation in your area so models actually come to you.

8. be able to talk alot, make people really comfortable.

9. be gay, gay photographers go alot further in the portrait/model world (kakekeke). yeah but its true, just like azns taking pictures of cars.

or an easier answer, ~5-20,000 dollars + training and/or abilities. If you just want to try to get into portrait photography you can just use that 300d and a nice lens and ask your girlfriend to stand infront of something.

5. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

i think he means model airplanes, boats, trains, etc...

one doesnt hire models (or is it models don't hire photographers) to appease ones hobby

6. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Either camera will work fine. What you really need for model (assuming you mean like cars, planes, etc) photography is simply a lens that will focus down to a few inches (close-up diopeters that screw into the front of your lens will work as well). Next you need a sturdy tripod, a couple of decent lights that are color corrected (such as strobe or photo lights), some white foam core to bounce the light or a light box to soften the lights, and a backdrop.

7. joy division

joy division New Member

Oh :dunno:

I would've called that product photography.

8. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

those last two are surprisingly true..talk about anythign, preferably stories anecdotes anythign that will get the model off the fact that you are looking at her the way a doctor looks at his patients, but never ease away from the trigger finger, cause you might miss that real honest sincere laugh

And my friend usually introduces me as her almost gay photographer friend..who would think it works ;)

9. joy division

joy division New Member

Gay guys hit on me all the time, so I think I'm ok.

10. LEXTC

LEXTC Guest

Model Photography (human)

(Indoors - Studio)

You will need:

A good lens (Canon 24-70L, or a Canon 17-40L)
    A good camera (Any Canon Digital SLR will do, don't even think about Nikon :) )
    An empty room in your house/garage
    Lights - www.alienbees.com makes good lights, many people on OT have them, I wish to one day own some myself.
    Backdrop - Paper, different colors, and a stand.
    Lights - did I already mention this? :mamoru:
    Oh and a model. :) Good luck trying to get money from models though, most are looking to make money not spend it. :hs:
    But if you build up a good reputation/portfolio you'll have girls willing to pay some good money. :bigthumb:

(Outdoors)

You will need:

A good lens (Canon 24-70L or Canon 70-200L) or both.
    A couple reflectors
    An assistant or 2 to hold and position reflectors
    A model
    There's this portable changing booth thing for models, it's like a tent, comes in handy, allows models to change outfits easily and they don't have to worry about anyone peeping in on them and you don't have to keep wandering back to the car so they can get in and change. Girls appreciate photographers looking out for them. :bigthumb:

Outdoor model photography is definately the cheapest avenue

11. LEXTC

LEXTC Guest

It's Called, making the model comfortable. I don't know about you guys but when I'm in front of the camera I'm very uncomfortable as most people are also. if you talk to them and have a normal conversation sometimes they are able to become more relaxed allowing a photographer to get a more natural photograph. If you are like me and you tell cheezy jokes you get cheezy laughs and fake smiles. If you're gay you have a better chance at making a girl laugh because you can think more on their level and just face it, gays are funny as hell. :)

12. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

you don't need L lenses to start...for example the tamron 28-75 is an excellent starting point especially on a crop camera like the rebel xt

13. LEXTC

LEXTC Guest

True, you don't need L glass to start, but if you want the most vivid/true colors and the sharpest quality images you can upgrade to the L glass for the win!

14. joy division

joy division New Member

Yeah, get some L zoom lenses for portrait photography :hsugh: I use my 17-40L all the time in the studio...

The thread starter should get 4 ab1600s to take pictures of model planes with.

15. SpiderOnTheFloor

its understandable for telephoto zooms and for low light primes, but the 28-75 is a very good lens on a crop camera...you have to adjust colors in ps no matter what anyway.

16. LEXTC

LEXTC Guest

:rolleyes: :ugh: Please do us all a favor and press Alt + F4 then kill yourself asap.

17. LEXTC

LEXTC Guest

You're talking outdoors right? Don't know about using a telephoto zoom indoors.. :hs:

18. SpiderOnTheFloor

i use a 70-200 indoors all the time. 70-100 is a great length for studio type setups

19. LEXTC

LEXTC Guest

But at that focal length you don't have that much flexability, you can take maybe a few shots standing 70-100mm away from your subject then you'll be ready to switch to another lens. Plus the apeture is pointless if you're using a paper background. I can see if you're using a living room as a background then yes a 70-200 would be nice but for typical studio with paper background I can not understand using a telephoto unless you want to get headshots.

20. LEXTC

LEXTC Guest

Here's a shot I took of my little brother when he came back from army bootcamp. I didn't have time or funds to setup anything extravagant or awesome so I just took him outside in the backyard. I'm not saying that he's a professional model or anything, to tell you the truth he's down right ugly and looks nothing like me. But for a portrait it's not bad. I like how the 70-200 seperates the subject from the background. Lighting was minimal, actually the sun was just below the treeline and I managed to grab alittle light using a reflector. I think this pic works well for him because looking at the pic it gives you an idea about his personality/occupation/style. not-edited in photoshop at all

[​IMG]

I have some cute model shots but I'm not trying to turn this thread into a who's got the best model pic thread. :hs:

EDIT: oh and that is HIS pose, I didn't position his arm like that, now that I look at it his arm looks unattached/funny and unnatural. I think he was trying to flex his muscles heh, I'm proud of the little guy though. He went into the army weighing like 275lbs at 5'10''. He looked like a little butter ball. Now he's weighing in at 185 and it's amazing, he looks like a totally different person. I've never seen someone's appearance change soo drastically due to weight loss. Sorry to get off topic.. :hs:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2006
  21. SpiderOnTheFloor

do you have an edited version of that pic?

22. LEXTC

LEXTC Guest

Actually no, I'm pretty busy working on $$ projects. Why do you ask?

23. joy division

joy division New Member

between this and your picture example I'm going to slowly- no- quickly run back out of this thread.

24. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

thats some serious bullshit right there about dont even think about nikon..can you show just a little bit more bias..sheesh

25. LEXTC

LEXTC Guest

If someone could show me an example of using a 70-200 indoors in a studio setting with paper background to educate me I'd really appreciate it becuase in all honesty I find it pointless unless you're doing headshots. :hs: