GUN Model "1" Sales

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cjj92yj, Feb 6, 2008.

1. cjj92yj

cjj92yj Guest

What's the skinny on them. With all the talk recently of AR's, it's peaked my interest enough to start looking. They have a complete kit that I have my eye on, but have heard mixed reviews of them.

Link:
    http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=KV1600&storeid=1ℑ=v16k.gif

I'd be getting the 16" stainless varmint kit as shown, only I'd be getting a 6 position butt-stock. Probably upgrade to a chrome bolt and carrier as well for an additional $50. Then I'd add a Rock River or equivalent lower and be set.

So total I'd be into this thing around $725-ish depending on which lower I end up getting.

Is it a decent kit?

2. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

I have spoken to Model 1 Sales tech support a time or two on the phone and the individual I spoke too (forgot his name) was very helpful and knowledgable. He was able to answer all of my questions in a clear and complete manner.

Model 1 gets a thumbs up from me.

3. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

I've heard good and bad about model 1, no personal experience, however, i would like to note that you're talking about a 16" "extra heavy barrel", for a 16" barrel, that's a good bit of overkill and will be pretty heavy, perhaps a medium weight barrel

[​IMG]

Here's what i threw up real quick using Jimmy Pop's site, i put in a rear sight in there since the one you had from Model 1 doesnt have a front or rear sight, i know that he usually slings a little bit of a discount to OTers

sorry, didnt notice the collapsible stock, that's $10 less than the fixed, so $710

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  4. cjj92yj

cjj92yj Guest

To be honest, I'm still not 100% on the heavy 16" barrel. I definitely don't want an ultra-light. And I'm not 100% convinced I want a standard barrel either. I've been noticing the varmint stainless barrels in kits is right around the same price as a standard chrome-moly barrel. Not that price makes much difference when it comes to quality. I just know I won't be building another again for years, so I don't want to get something I may regret.

Ideally I'd like a slightly heavier standard barrel, chrome-lined. I guess I need to keep looking.

Also, I've left iron sights out on purpose. I want a red-dot of some sort, still completely undecided on which one though.

Thanks for Jimmy's site. I was wondering what it was.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'd probably avoid the chrome carrier, the cheaper ones seem to have a reputation for chrome peeling off eventually. But yeah I'm with the poster with the ass AV above me, are you sure you want a bull barrel? CMMG's bargain bin rifles seem to get consistent reviews for being great values.

If you're just looking for a general plinker I think the stag uppers are still a pretty good deal http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=184 for $525 + $200-250 for an assembler lower half with a basic stock.

edit: i came in before your last post, it sounds like you have a good idea of what you want, maybe a medium profile barrel like the one posted above would be good, you keep a heavier weight but not a ton, and you get chrome lining

6. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

chrome is nice, stainless is also nice, you can't really go wrong w/ either of them, i've got one of each

give jimmy pop a PM and see what he can do for you

EDIT: make sure you get chrome LINED, not chrome MOLY, they arent the same thing, LINED is what you're looking for

7. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

I've bought some stuff from them at gun shows, nothing AR related however.

But they seemed like nice enough folks.

8. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

well... true, but if you had to pick one or the other, its lined :o

9. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

Model1 is just an hour away from me, so they are usually at the local gun shows.

I've looked over their stuff at the shows and it looked to be pretty nice. A friend actually bought a complete kit from them and then went over to another booth and bought a RRA lower. Ended up with a nice M4 style rifle for around $600 (Model1 will sell for cheaper at the shows if it's a cash transaction).

I've shot the rifle and it shoots fine... no problems :cool:

10. cjj92yj

cjj92yj Guest

would a J&T Distributing setup be any better quality-wise than a Model 1 setup, assuming it's on the same lower?