Modding a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DeleriuM, May 2, 2004.

1. DeleriuM

DeleriuM New Member

[​IMG]

right now its completely stock, engine and otherwise

Im looking for something punchy and deep, but nothing extravagant, just a few hundred watts. maybe 1 10"
    as well I want new tweets, the tweets on it right now arent that great

it has the standard Nissan deck (CD/AM/FM), not the Bose on the new models. will I need a new deck? (Im a car audio noob if you havent already noticed)

what do you guys recommend for my needs (good sound, nothing that'll blow your socks off, just good)
    sub, tweets, amp, deck?

what would it price to around? :o :eek3:
    as well, is it a bad idea to mount the sub in the side wall of my trunk area? I see most good high-level stock systems use the side wall. keeps it nice and hidden from thieves, and doesnt take up trunk space. what do you guys think? too hard to mount? bad sound?
    would this work for that idea? http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-550

btw, I listen to music where bass is important. trance mainly, with long wavering basslines and really punchy kicks

Last edited: May 2, 2004
  2. 04

04 Guest

You can mount the subwoofer in the side wall of the car, but you will need to fabricate an enclosure for it, which can be expensive and/or time consuming.

As for that woofer, I've used it's predecessor, the series2 15" and it was a fine woofer. I have heard excellent things about the new Quatro line. However, depending on how loud you need the bass, you might want a larger woofer or one with more linear excursion. Or you could go with 2.

Also, if you are going to upgrade the factory tweeters, you will need to design a new passive highpass filter, or find a tweeter that works well with the existing one. Since you are buying a new headunit, I would probably advise that you just upgrade the entire front speakers. I would also reccomend buying a 4 channel amplifier, using the front 2 channels to run your front speakers, and the rear 2 channels to run the subwoofer(s).

3. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

I'll set you up something nice after dinner.

Nice mixes by the way Ash!

4. DeleriuM

DeleriuM New Member

:bigthumb:

5. pharcyde183

This is just my personal opinion. You might as well upgrade everything. To get a really nice responce and sound out of everything the best way is to purchase a whole system that will work well together.

I am partial to clarion headunits, although alpine makes some really great decks.

HU: I would go with the clarion DXZ835MP (not 845) This is a great deck and it's not expensive. It has dual24 bit DAC's to get very clear sound, 4v preouts. It's got a ton of stuff on it that you could make use of. Very expandable as well. MP3 and WMA, CDR CDRW of course :) Should be able to get it on the net around $270

FRONT SPEAKERS: Here's an area where it's all based on price. There are tons of speakers you can get cheap that will really give you a nice sound. I might as well suggest different price ranges. (replacing the fronts will give you the tweeters you need to replace the stock ones in the A pillars. Also will come with crossovers. )

Inexpensive: Crystal Cpe60s , can be found online for $80. These are what i got for my other Nissan (Maxima). They sound fantastic, quality of sound is very clear but they don't have 'huge' midbass in the front. about 65-70watts RMS

Medium: CDT CL-61(a) components. I have not heard these personally but everyone seems to think they are great speakers for the price. should be about $165 from www.thezeb.com

Top dawg: i would definitely go with a nice Focal 165 K2P , about $450 online.
    There are more expensive focals but i don't think you would be looking for that sort of thing. These are just really great speakers. Really clear, loud, and with very good rolling midbass. Like around 100w RMS

Rear Speakers: For proper imaging it's best to get either rear midbass or go with nothing at all. I think the rear midbass definitely add a nice element and i would recommend Adire Audio Koda midbass speakers. Would be about $180 a pair . Like 100+ watts RMS and are very linear and nice sounding. I would definitely recommend these speakers.

Amp for speakers: you will need a good quality amp to make the most of your front speakers. Assuming you go with the CDT or the Focals, a 100x4 @4ohm will be perfect for your setup.

Hifonics ZEUS ZX6400 - This amp is pretty nice for the money. For about $240 online it does [email protected] and will give you nice solid power.

Precision Power PCX-4125 - This amp is just great. It's a big amp no doubt but it puts out power nicely [email protected] Just don't turn the gain right up and supply some nice solid power to your four speakers. $350 online.

Subwoofer- i can see of course that you like techno/trance and such so a sub that can pound without too much power is definitely in your future. I am quite fond of resonant engineering subs. a 12" Resonant engineering SE sub in a sealed or ported box will give you a really nice thump and sound really good. a single 12 will be about $190 www.respl.com

Subwoofer amp- A solid 500w+ should be great for this sub.

Xtant A6001 - $265 online Sends out a nice 600w @2ohm to power your sub. Very nice amp will perform solidly and do everything you want!

After all of this you just need to factor in a box (you can buy good sealed boxes online) or build your own sealed or ported box depending on how much space you wish to take up in your trunk. Then you need to factor in costs for wires and cables and all that stuff which will run a bit, as well as for doing the installation yourself or getting it installed professionally.

6. pharcyde183

Probably cost you about $1500 for a solid choice between those options including a box, + then pay for the wiring and install it yourself or pay for that. You could take a slightly cheaper route and still have awesome performance and come out at around $1050 + box and wiring costs.

I could design you something a good amount cheaper too, just wanted to start with something nice that's not 'very' expensive.

CHeers man let me know if you are looking for something a lot cheaper or a lot more expensive. Remember this is internet pricing, if you buy retail be prepared to pay far far more :)

7. DeleriuM

DeleriuM New Member

wow man that system sounds fucking sweet! thanks for taking the time to list all that :bigthumb: :bowdown:

$1000 US is pretty steep though, after this purchase I'll be very low on funds... this is gonna be my first ride, and I'm paying for nearly all of it :hs:

I was thinking probably in a range thats about half that, or 2/3 that price

is it possible to have possible to have a pretty good system for around $750 US, including all parts, box, cables, misc items, and a pro installation? :o
    once again, I'm looking for something nice a succinct, but it doesnt have to blow the skirts of the wimminz on the street. just clear highs, nice mids and punchy lows :p

as well, what do you think of installing the sub in the side wall of the trunk area?

anyways, thanks a lot for the help :bowdown:
    btw, a new set is due in the next week or so

8. DeleriuM

DeleriuM New Member

Ive looked up a couple Alpine head units and they seem to have built in amps...
    the CDM-9803 for $190 @ www.canyouhearit.com says it has a builting 4 X 50W amp...

9. pharcyde183

It would be possible to get a system for a good amount less, can skimp on some things and still come out on top. As for getting it for $750 including wiring and such, that is possible. With professional installation there is no way you could fit a good system in though for that amount of money.

You are correct about the built in amp on the alpine, but those ratings are MAX power. The actualy RMS will be from 18-25watts.

How about we go with this:

Headunit: Clarion DXZ635MP $197 Little brother to the 8xxx series, still a really nice unit just save a bit of money :)

3 channel amp: KICKER KX550.3 - should be roughly $225 online. This gives you 40watts RMS to each of the front speakers and 200watts RMS to your subwoofer.

Front Speakers: Crystal Cpe60s 6.5" front speakers. $80 online. As i said before i really like these :)

Rear Speakers: if you don't mind messing your 'imaging' up a little bit, hook up your rear speakers to the headunit, or just leave them unhooked and just run the front speakers. The best option would be to just leave them unhooked in the doors and run only the front speakers and the subwoofer.

Subwoofer: resonant engineering RE 10" or 12" series subwoofer. Their entry level sub, but a very strong competitor. Lots of thump for cheap. a 10" or 12" should be about $80-100. will run off the third channel from the kicker amp.

Ok so the total there is $600 when factoring in a 12" RE subwoofer from resonant engineering www.respl.com

That leaves you $150. A nice sealed box on ebay should run you no more than 40-50 shipped (you can buy some very good boxes on ebay if you buy from the right people) :)

So say we have $100 left for wiring. You should be able to get everything online for a good amount under $100. So there's a bit left you can put towards an installation or work out how to do it yourself and pocket the extra money.

10. On_One

On_One Guest

IMHO replacing the stock HU for a mid/low level deck just ain't worth it. I'd keep the stock HU until you can spring for a high quality HU. With proper gain staging a stock HU will sound just as good as any mid/low level HU and it will keep a stock look that will deter theives.

11. DeleriuM

DeleriuM New Member

pharcyde, much much better, thats sounds very reasonable
    I'm not worried about having rear speakers, since I'm the driver right? :p rear passengers can go fawk themselves lol

as well I'de probably keep my stock HU if a mid/low level HU wouldnt make that much difference
    thats sounds like a great plan, thanks

12. pharcyde183

the problem is hooking up the sub. The stock HU would only have 1 or 2 preouts and would not have 4v outputs.

I would highly recommend getting a new HU.... the stock will not give you CDRW , MP3 and WMA capabilities, as well as won't have 3 4v preouts incl non fading sub out, as well as separate subwoofer controls, multicolor changable display, and auxillary inputs.

however On_One is right about the theft deterrent. Otherwise i would go with that clarion any day for any of those other reasons.

I would highly recommend a new headunit :)

13. DeleriuM

DeleriuM New Member

hmm point taken
    3 channels outputs would be good enough... 2.1 (left, right, sub)

I guess HU it is :mamoru:

14. On_One

On_One Guest

High voltage pre outs are highly overrated and in the majority of cases not neccessary. However if one really feels the need for high volt preouts then there is always this product http://www.davidnavone.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=N-774v. As for sub control both amplifiers you reccomended feature external sub level controllers. You do have a very legit point in regards to MP3 playback. For some people this is a must, for others like myself it's a non factor. Don't get me wrong, i have nothing against going with after market HU's if it's in the budget. I do however feel that is better to invest the money in more critical components such as amplifiers and speakers when one is on a relatively tight budget. If purchasing a HU comes at the expense of having to down grade other aspects of the system then it just ain't worth it IMO. It makes alot more sense to invest in quality amps, speakers, subs, etc. and purchase the head unit at a later time.

15. On_One

On_One Guest

If I Had Roughly $750 Here is what i'd do
    • 2 Channel Amplifier:Hifonics ZX4000 - $130
    • Front Stage: JL XR 650 CSI - $209 or The CDT set reccomended above -$160
    • Subwoofers - 2 Phoenix Gold TI-10d (1^ft ported per driver) -$140
    • Subwoofer Amplifier - Hifonics BX500D - $160
    • LOC -David Novane N774V - $35
    • Wiring Kit - Knukonceptz 4ga 4 channel kit - $36
    $710 plus roughly 100 for shipping and box materials. A tad over budget but worth the investment.

16. JDub

JDub New Member

Well, I've been out of the loop for a while, but that could help ya, cause older components are always cheaper :big grin: I don't have much personal experience, but I can tell ya about what I do know.

Phoenix Gold XS series amps. Really cheap if you can find them. REALLY cheap on ebay. Excellent amps, and I actually preferred them over their Titanium series amps, but that was probably because my electrical system barely handled the Tis, and the XSs have a regulated power supply. I listen to a lot of trance (mostly progressive house these days) and it sounded a little punchier and cleaner on the XS amps.
    XS2500 - 125w x 2 or 500w x 1 (I'm using this on my sub)
    XS2300 - 75w x 2 or 300w x1 (using it on my rear speakers)
    XS4600 - 75w x 4 or 300w x 2 (using this bridged to my front speakers)

speakers:
    You might want to listen to any speakers before buying. On_One recommended JLs, but I found them to be a little too bright for trance music. They're really accurate sounding drivers, but I don't know what it was, maybe trance is already too electronic sounding, but I didn't like how it sounded, so I went with Dynaudios, which have a more natural sound to them.
    Focal... I remember listening to the PolyKev series in my friend's VW and they sounded incredible. I think they're called the K2 series now. They might be a little expensive, but maybe check out their cheaper lines, as I'm sure that they probably aren't too far off.
    Bostons... My friend had some midbass drivers with his Dynaudio tweeters on a custom xover and it sounded awesome. Granted they were just the midbass drivers that were Bostons, but the midbass sounded great :big grin: He really likes Boston in general, and I trust his opinion so check them out, too.

Subwoofer... I've always liked Kicker. I love their solobarics (older round ones), freeairs, CompVRs, etc etc. They sound awesome. I had a 15" Solobaric, and it sounded incredible. I judge the subs I hear to that sub. The only problem was that it was a little laggy since it was a 15". I have a CompVR (older round one) now in a 1.1 cu ft box and it sounds awesome. If you can find one on ebay, it should probably be around $60. I replaced the sub in my sister's Lexus SC400 w/ a 10" Kicker Freeair powered by a bridged XS2500, and to my surprise, it was the best sub I have EVER heard and my friend said the same thing. Oh man, I wish I could get that kind of sound in my truck, but I think it sounded so good because it's a small coupe, and the sub is on the rear deck, inside the cabin. Of course, my sister was whatever about it since she doesn't know anything about audio except that I changed some speaker in her car. If you go with one of these freeairs, you can mount it in the side wall. You'd just need to build a baffle to mount it to.

Headunit: Pioneer... My roommate is a die hard pioneer fan and swears by it. I think they just have a lot of features for their price, and they're really reliable, so they get my vote. Find one you like in your price range and buy it.

Wiring:
    Power wires: stinger custom pro series... Cheap and really flexible so it's easy to run.
    RCAs: I think the cheapest way to go is to buy new old stock wires. I bought my Lightning Audio Storm series wires for like half what they normally cost since they were "last year's" model, but I just checked on sounddomain and the wires are still the same. Weird. You could also make your own wires pretty easily for cheap by buying parts for it off parts express. You could even use Cat5 cabling to make twisted pair wires. I've heard of hardcore home audio guys using cat5 cabling to wire up their crazy expensive ass systems. Oh, also Radio Shack's gold series RCAs are surprisingly decent, too. They're sorta expensive though.

Find a friend who knows about car audio to help you install the stuff yourself. Not too difficult, fun, saves a lot of money, you learn a lot, and if anything goes wrong down the road, you can fix it yourself.

17. JDub

JDub New Member

just noticed you don't want a headunit. Some stock headunits are pieces of crap, but I'd go with the line out converter for now. If you ever decide to upgrade in the future, the headunit is the easiest component to upgrade.

Well, here's some ebay prices on the stuff...
    XS2300 - $20 LOL
    XS2500 - $50 LoL
    XS4600 - one sold for $100 recently

Focal 6.5" Polyglass component set - $204
    Focal 6.5" KP component set - $349 - pity so expensive. the tweets on these are incredible

couldn't find any freeairs :(

other stuff u can get elsewhere. I got a lot of my wiring from sounddomain.com

Oh, just remembered some speakers that I used to love. I bought some Soundstream SPL components off my friend for really cheap, and they sounded really really good for how cheap they were. They're 2 ohms though, so you need an amp that can handle that impedence. They should be really cheap if you can find them because they were cheap to begin with :big grin: But yeah, they should be perfect for trance because that's what I've been listening to for the past 6 years and I loved them back then :big grin:

Last edited: May 5, 2004
  18. On_One

On_One Guest

Some are some are'nt. The one in my friends Xterra was very nice. We popped it open and all the components used were of better quality than that found in most low/mid level decks. He ended up sticking with the stock HU and Navone LOC and could not be happier. (Former IASCA SQ world champion and was Richard Clarks primary installer for quite a while ;) )

19. On_One

On_One Guest

Really? One most common praise for the XR is the smooth tweeter. Was it the original XR set or the CSi with th programable X-over you heard?

20. JDub

JDub New Member

bah, lost my post.

Well, I had the XR653CS set. Don't get me wrong, they sounded great, but it was almost as if they were too accurate or something. I know that sounds weird, but I don't know how else to describe it. I sounded boring to me. It's probably just personal preference though. I mean, I happy with my Dyns now and they have silk tweets so that should say something about the kind of sound I like :dunno:

21. On_One

On_One Guest

Yeah the CS set did not have a programable X-Over. The newer CSi set gives you a lot of flexibilty on the tweet level. (-4.5dB to +1.5dB)

22. JDub

JDub New Member

That's pretty cool. I'd still choose my Dyns over them in a heartbeat though :big grin: The JLs have no character :down:

23. On_One

On_One Guest

Dynaudio amake very nice components. I'm not even arguing that;) I do how ever feel for the money the JL XR set is on of the best buys. IMHO they sound as good as some of the +500 plus sets i've heard.