Mobo problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hops, May 6, 2009.

1. Hops

Hops OT Supporter

Over the weekend my old motherboard crapped out, so I went and got a new one and cpu (Asus M3N78 pro). Everything works fine except my internet connection. It will run great and then all of a sudden it will disconnect, i'll get the "a network cable is unplugged" etc.

This only seems to happen when I have my comp plugged directly into my modem, no disconnects when i plug into my router, but I don't usually use it bescause it literally cuts my speed by 50-75% (avg 20-25 mbps w/out...5-10 mbps with).

Ive screwed with drivers, any settings I can think of, and can't fix this problem. Is it time to take the new board back and get a different one?

I know the problem might go away if I just got a different router, but I'm wondering why this board doesn't like to be plugged directly into the modem, my old board (Asus A8N pro) never had a problem with it.

2. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

My guess is it's more likely some kind of problem w/ the modem, you've had some kind of connection problems w/ 2 mobo's, with and without the router, the modem is the only common variable.

Who's the ISP? Leave it plugged directly into the modem and call them. I know w/ Time Warner, they're responsible for getting it connected as long as there's no router (since router isn't their equipment, modem is). If you can just get a tech out there, they're usually pretty cool and will help w/ your network problems whether it's their fault or not (usually really easy for someone that knows what they're doing to diagnose something like that on site)

3. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I concur. You have a problem, it likely isn't with the mobo.
    It is either with the router or the modem.

FWIW: The router should in no way shape or form slow your connection down. Period.

In situations like this it is often helpful to ask yourself, 'What is the easiest and less costly thing to replace?'.

In this case I would bet it is your modem. Call up your ISP help desk. Describe the problem. Tell them you are super frustrated and thinking of going to DSL (or cable or satelite or whatever) and that if they could send you a replacement modem you would be grateful and wait until then to make your decision.

Trust me, you will get one within a few days of the phone call.

4. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I edited and fixed a few parts of this for you.....based on my experiences w/ Time Warner and the local phone company (DSL) :bigthumb:

btw. a good way to verify it's the modem is to get a friend to bring a laptop over and see if you get the same connection problems on that

5. Hops

Hops OT Supporter

Thanks for the replies. I use comcast so i'll call them tomorrow (YAY!). I just found it odd that the problem started right after i changed boards.

6. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

You need to be careful of that sort of thinking.
    Coincidences DO happen. But not just that, sometimes a power spike can come down the line and do damage to things in a matter that seems random or illogical.

But I will tell you that I have called up my ISP and talked them into shipping out a new modem.
    The trick is to talk them into talking themselves into the idea that it is the modem and not worth sending a tech out.
    It isn't worth loosing you as a customer over a $20 modem.

7. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Clearly you have never used the linksys wrt54g series routers.

8. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have a wrt54gv8 and it works great...however it is running dd-wrt

9. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

:bigthumb:

10. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

If the router is slowing your connection down then it is broken.

Linksys is made by Cisco. The WRT54G series of routers is well liked in the community because you can install custom firmware on it.

A fucking router that works does not slow your connection down.