Mobo Died.... New SocketA Mobo & VideoCard OR modern mobo/cpu?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MadEmperor, Oct 27, 2008.

1. MadEmperor

MadEmperor meh OT Supporter

My father's computer just died, and I'm fairly confident it's the Motherboard. The mobo is a Socket A (Abit NF7) with a good integrated video card and audio unlike most available at the time.

Choice 1 Mobo <-link
    Buy the only Socket A motherboard I could find looks like a complete POS w/o integrated video..... which means I would have to buy a cheapie AGP card.

Choice 2
    Modern Mobo with integrated graphics (decent video, no intel trash) & replace the CPU since mine won't work. Oh, and buy a new heatsink since I'm sure his won't work on a new CPU (was a nice $35 copper one) :wtc:

Opinions?

2. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

I would never consider a PC Chips motherboard an option. Presumably, this system has DDR SDRAM; any "modern" board you get will not support this memory so you'll have to replace that as well. You'll easily have $200 tied up in a new CPU, motherboard, and memory. A new CPU should include a heatsink/fan.

Personally, I'd roll the dice and look for another Abit NF7. It looks like there are a couple new on eBay. If your father doesn't do a lot of really CPU- or graphics-intensive stuff, this would be the most economical way to go.

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

fuck the old one, get new.
    less hassle imo

4. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

I recently went through the whole socket A motherboard ordeal. IT SUCKS trying to find a replacement motherboard. I don't know why they are so hard to find. I eventually found one with the features I wanted, but it took awhile.

Still have 3 computers on socket A going strong.

My biggest hurdle is video card / RAM. If you want good graphic performance you'll need a video card instead of onboard. New motherboard will require new cpu and new ram. So the cost difference is huge between just looking for a replacement socket a board or upgrading to AM2 or whatever.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I have an Asus socket A motherboard that I don't need, but it's a full-size ATX board.