Mobo choices.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Aug 25, 2007.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Need a new mobo and have put it off long enough. Looking at these two but am open to other suggestions. Looking to spend ~$150.

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P

GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R

Going with an e6400, 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix 667MHz DDR2, evga 512MB 7950GT, tuniq tower.

I know I have seen where the tuniq comes close (might even touch) 4 caps on the DS3P (not sure about the DS3R). I'd hate to have to buy a new heatsink though.

Any thoughts????

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Get the first board, for sure. DDR3 is a waste of money right now.
    It doesn't even perform as well as DDR2 does. And coincidentally, the review I read on this used Gigabyte boards.

As far as the cooler goes, are you going to do some heavy overclocking?

The reason I ask, is that I had an E6600 overclocked to 3ghz on a
    normal Zalman copper 7700 series cooler, and my temps stayed under 45C.
    I don't do video gaming though.

3. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Thanks Doc.

I'm sure I will try and overclock once everything is settled in. The reason I asked about the tuniq is because I already have everything besides mobo. I am RMA'ing my 680i board as soon as I get a new one then I'll sell it.

It just looks like the tuniq will touch some caps and I don't know if that's OK or not?????

4. Doc Brown

I haven't used that one yet, but I assume it's just copper or aluminum fins like any other cooler?
    If so, then if it just touches a little bit, you can just bend the edge of the fins so that it doesn't.
    And no, I wouldn't let the fins touch your caps while it's running.

5. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Here's apic. I don't think I can bend the pins. Well, maybe I could but there's also a plate on the bottom so I would have to bend that as well.
    I just don't want to spend the $ on a new cooler as well. Trying to avoid that. I figured if it was resting on the caps then it wouldn't be a big deal but I've never run into that issue before.

[​IMG]

6. Doc Brown

You already have that cooler?

It looks like it sits up pretty high. Are you sure it will touch a cap?

7. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Yes.

I remembered where i read the review. It was on newegg.

Tuniq tower 120 just barely touched 4 of the caps around the CPU socket making me have to file a little (1/16") of the block off.

Doesn't sound like a huge deal but I don't want to get into modifying stuff just to get it to fit.
    I also saw a guy on another board that said he has the same mobo/cooler and that it fit fine. :dunno:

8. Doc Brown

I checked out that guy's review, and I see what you're saying.
    But caps on the motherboard don't stick up that high. I guess I don't understand how it could be hitting anything.
    But one thing you can try is to rotate the Tuniq to see if it does it on a different side of the cooler.
    Worse comes to worse, it sounds like it's not hitting by that much if the guy only had to file off 1/16".

Just be sure to get all the metal filings off of the cooler before you put it back in.

9. als54

als54 OT Supporter

Stay clear of ABIT what ever you do. I have a MSI, but they can be picky with what RAM you use. Go to New Egg and look at some of their board, take time to read the buyers comments that should be a good indication of the problem areas area. You could hit Tom's Hardware. There are a lot of issues with RAM and other component that will be used with the motherboard. Good luck.

10. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

The P35-DS3R is a good board if you only need one PCI-E X16 slot. You can get that and save a few bucks.