A&P Mobile lighting setup for shooting cars

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by fallenauthority, Jan 10, 2010.

1. fallenauthority

fallenauthority OT Supporter

I was reading pechango's post and found he was looking for lighting for people, i know some differences apply when shooting vehicles due to harsh reflections off the paint and such so I am looking for help getting together stuff to do a mobile lighting setup. Ive been looking on adorama and there is SO much different lighting equipment it makes my head spin. I already have a 430exII and was thinking about picking up another 430exII, a couple umbrellas that have the black cover so i can do bounce off them or shoot through and a wireless trigger set with an extra receiver. I guess my biggest question is that I have seen a bunch of different stands and i dont know if my flashes would connect on the top of the stand and be able to use a wireless receiver. I am new to this stuff so I am terrified of spending a few hundred bucks only to find out I bought the wrong shit. Thanks for any help. :bigthumb:

2. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

3. fallenauthority

So far Ive got this:
    Light stands, umbrellas and adapters: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/475575-REG/Impact__Digital_Flash_Umbrella_Mount.html
    Hot shoe to pc adapters: http://www.flashzebra.com/hotshoes-shoes/0065.shtml
    Another 430EXII, and a cactus V2 transceiver and 2 receivers to which I will do the antenna mod and battery mod.
    I am going to mess around with the small umbrellas that come with the kit and if not satisfied I will move to larger ones. This should be good for an initial setup correct?

4. Derrict

You won't need diffusers for shooting cars.

5. fallenauthority

Really? I thought you wanted to soften the light so as not to cause sharp reflections of the flash on the car?

6. Derrict

You'll spend more time trying to remove the specular highlights if you use any diffuser. If you hit the angles correctly, you'll be fine w/o any type of diffusion.