Mobile DVD help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by $shot, Feb 14, 2006.

1. $shot

$shot OT Supporter

I just recently had my kenwood kvt715 indash dvd player removed from my old car. I am now driving a 2005 toyota 4runner with the JBL premium sound system. I called and made an appt to have the kvt715 installed in my new 4runner, and came across problems. The installers informed me that the 4runner JBL system has an auxillary amp, and that the speakers are rated for 4 ohms. He also said the the kvt715, along with all other aftermarket head units runs around 1 or 2 ohms. He explained that the only way to install this head unit, or any for that matter, would be to buy an entirely new 4 channel amp and all new door speakers, or else you wouldnt even be able to hear the sound. Does this sound like the only way around this problem? I cant imagine that this would be the only way to resolve the problem, seeing as this would cost over 1500$. Thanks for the help.

2. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw OT Supporter

Altho i believe you have the impedances backwards, you will still have problems integrating. I believe it is all digital into the amp so you would have to catch your signal after the JBL amp. Then you may run into issues with xover points on all the stock speakers, hence the reason they recommended new speakers.
    I would contact Soundgate at 307.674.4707 and ask them if they have a product to interface.

3. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

Either you mixed up the order of the impedances or that guy is a moron. Aftermarket speakers are 4ohms and you headunit is designed to drive 4ohm speakers. That being said, the integration of the systems is not that simple, because you do have a seperate amp and most likely some sets of crossovers. I usually stay away from factory high end systems.