GUN MN/WI/IL crew, inside plz

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JaimeZX, Nov 27, 2008.

1. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Making my annual pilgrimage to the place of my birth to visit family, etc.

I know my TX CHL is good in MN and not WI or the DPRIL. :hsd:

Can y'all give me a very brief rundown of dos & do-nots in each state? Also, driving through WI & IL, how do I need to have my weapon stored?

THX :)

(Edit: I realize handgunlaw.us has the off-limits by state but that isn't necessarily the last word...)

2. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

IL - In a case unloaded with not both the ammo and the gun accessible from the drivers seat. Best bet is to keep it in a case in the trunk.

3. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

MN is surprisingly lax on gun laws, so you're probably good as long as you're not a dumbass.

4. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

In IL just keep the gun in your trunk in a case or tied sleeve, unloaded, with ammo in a seperate container. Avoid cook county in Chicago entirely if you can.

5. JaimeZX

6. Admitted

In IL you can have ammo in your lap if the gun is in the trunk. Just be weary in IL because in that state, if you have a hand gun, you are basically a criminal.

7. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

In WI, you need to have it unloaded and encased. Ammo can be in the case with the weapon, but it can't be in the weapon.

However, with WI's terribly worded and overly broad laws, you can still be fucked even with an unloaded and encased gun. Here is the statute:
    http://nxt.legis.state.wi.us/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&d=stats&jd=ch. 941

And the other statute is 167.31, which is too long to quote. You can read it HERE

THIS is also a good resource, it's accurate and succinct.

These two laws pertain to weapons in vehicles, and how they may be transported. However, as I'm sure you've noticed, the laws are contradictory. Unfortunately, there hasn't been much more clarification in the hundred some odd years CCW has been outlawed.

Now, practically speaking, the gun in a case isn't going to get you jammed up unless you are a complete piece of shit.

8. JaimeZX

OK. So CCW in MN, then put weapon in trunk and mag in pocket in WI and IL. Hopefully IA is the same. :o

9. Slick26

Shit, wouldn't even put the mag in your pocket in WI or IL. They'd still find something wrong with that.
    Iowa isn't as bad as WI/IL, but still not as good as MN. Any of those 3, just keep the gun in the trunk and the ammo in a bag or something else in the glove compartment or other part of the car.

10. Slick26

You'll be driving right past me on I-35. I live in Burnsville, and my apartment is maybe 1/4 mile from the freeway.
    Wave when you go by the big ski hill on the left, cuz I'm right on the other side of it, lol.

Edina is maybe 20 mins away.

11. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

In WI the mag will be fine in your pocket. There is nothing wrong with having ammunition on you.

Too bad you weren't coming through Milwaukee, we could have a beer.

12. Slick26

I'd rather be safe than sorry, but I'm sure it wouldn't cause any problems.

13. Slick26

When will you be strollin through? You're literally driving right past me... if you had time you could stop for a min... but that's your call.

14. JaimeZX

Not sure. It's a 7 hour drive from my wife's parents' place in Peoria back to my grandma's in Edina. Depends on how much energy we have 6 1/2 hours in... :p

Thanks for your inputs, guys.

15. Slick26

Well good luck. Let us know when you're swingin through.

16. Rev Happy

Rev Happy Active Member

Firearm needs to be unloaed, brokendown, and in a case when travelling though most of cook county. I was reading up on the statues last week, it didn't matter where the case or ammo are located in the vehicle.

17. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

IL law: unloaded and encased. Case is undefined therefore center console, glove box, etc. are all valid cases.

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

This advice is the fail ;)

Unloaded and in a case is correct, mostly. Several communities in the crappy northern part of the state have passed their own laws that are more strict than the state laws on firearms transportation. The trunk idea isn't necessary by state law, but might be useful protection against some of these more specific laws. If one cared enough to work around those you could check the list at http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/ordinances.cfm and see if any places you were driving through were more strict.

Illinois does in fact define a case as " "a container specifically designed for the purpose of housing a gun or bow and arrow device which completely encloses such gun or bow and arrow device by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened with no portion of the gun or bow and arrow device exposed." You'll easily get tagged with a violation of the wildlife code for not using a real case. Depending on where you are stopped and how the gun is carried you could even get a felony charge from it. Even just having the ammo handy could turn it into an aggravated charge, again, a felony.

I'm sure THT meant all the best, but I'd like to use this as my usual reminder to always make the effort to read the laws yourself, they're on line and no one has more on the line than yourself.

(if interested in further reading on if a console is a valid container per the criminal code, read some of the happenings of IL v. Michael Diggins)

19. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

maybe covered here (not reading), but in WI, gun must be unloaded, cased and out of the driver's reach (trunk)

20. JaimeZX

MN crew: for carrying, Handgunlaw.us says off limits includes
    "Private establishments if posted or if personally requested to leave by the operator because that establishment bans guns on premises."

So what does the "posted" part include? Like, in TX it has to be an official 30.06 sign... what's the deal in MN? How do you guys usually play it?

21. Admitted

this post.

22. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Dude just unload it and case it for the trip, it's not worth the headache and the risk especially driving through states like IL. Even if you find out all the laws and were 100% sure you were in the right, you never know if the cops in those northern IL cities will know them. Just stop in well-lit public areas and you'll be fine.

23. Rev Happy

Rev Happy Active Member

Generally in Cook County, ammo needs to be separate from the gun and in a different case. Firearms need to be in a case and unloaded. Some townships have specific ordinances bans altogether ( Highland Park, Evanston, etc...). Just don't drive through Chicago city limits and you'll be fine.

24. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

not condoning, but I know several *cough* people who do carry in IL/WI. If you're not breaking the law besides speeding, and not marking, the only way you're really going to get caught is if you're in a bad accident and it's found by the EMS.

I only know WI law, but if caught CCWing, it's a Class 3 Misdemeanor (6 mos in jail and up to a $5,000? fine and your gun confiscated). But from what I have heard in conversation with a few very good LEO friends of mine, if you're a law-abiding citizen and don't have a record, theres a good chance they wont blink an eye. And like I said, if all you're doing when you're speeding and get pulled over, if you don't have warrants and aren't acting like a jackass or suspicious, you'll get your ticket and be on the way.

Have to decide for yourself what is best for YOU in YOU'RE situation. Personally, I and others I know prefer to be able to protect our families.

YMMV

IBflame

25. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

btw, when you driving past Madison? Not sure when this trip of yours is, but if you're going to be there between this Wed through I believe Fri/Sat, I'd be glad to buy you a drink. :wavey: