GUN MN crew, know any place that puts sights on for free if you buy from them?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Navvik, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

Like the title says, i want to put new sights on my 1911, but the place i went to today wanted to charge me.... almost the price of the sights to install them. :ugh:
    Not being a cheapass, just shopping around.

2. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

I thought 1911 sights were a PITA to install?

3. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

I dont recall, which is half the reason i'm asking, i'm all for paying to have my sights installed, but i'm not going to spend 200 dollars on a sight combo, and then another 200 to have them installed, plus the cost of shipping. I could almost buy a new gun for that.

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If they're just a dovetail, tenon, or screw mount, you shouldn't be looking at more than $20 for install. If your slide needs to be milled to fit the sights, you're probably looking at at least $100.

$200 install charge seems pretty high, but then so does $200 for sights. What the hell did you get and what 1911 are you putting them on?

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Sounds like they are having to cut your slide for the sights. That's still pretty high though, I'm having an odd shaped dovetail/shelf cut into a odd pistol (CZ 75), and it's gonna run me $75 at most.

Everyone has jigs/cutters/etc for 1911's, so I'd be looking cheaper. What sights are you trying to install, and on what gun?

6. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

It was a sight out of their brownell's catalog that had to have been a few years old cause i cant find it on their website.

edit: found it!

front sight: 387-500-011
    rear sight: 387-304-276

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Thats an odd choice of sights it seems like.

What kind of gun are they going on? I'm asking, because it would help to know the dovetail that's on it.

Are you specifically wanting "those" sights, or just some adjustable night sites? It seems like you might be going the hard/expensive way for no real reason.

8. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

Was looking for adjustable dot sights, preferably night, and thats what the smith reccomended, it was clearly pricy, and the guy had a bunch of brownells swag adorning the shop. So i told him i'd get back to him, and sensing he was going to lose a sale suggested... i think they were lpa adjustable dot sights.

9. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Gander Mountain is the cheapest I've found for sight installation... but they'll never do it for free, no matter how much you buy from them

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

We need details of the pistol broseph, and then we can show you what kind of sights you can get that will fit your existing dovetails.

11. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

Sorry, i'm half asleep :rofl:
    Its a Charles Daly 1911 EFS
    front and rear dovetail sights currently.
    [​IMG]

12. kellyclan

First off, standard night sights will provide plenty of windage adjustment for most usage. If you really need adjustable sights for competition shooting, you're probably not going to even want tritium, because the dots provide a focus point at a point you don't want to be focusing on.

Second, neither of those Brownells stock numbers return a sight that has a dovetail mount as an option?

13. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

They do not, they were reccomendeed by a smith looking to make some bank. If you know of an alternative please suggest :)

14. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

15. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Is that gun made in the Philippines, or in Israel?

I think I heard once that Kimber sights work on them. I'm going off a long ago memory, that might not be correct so don't run out and buy them and blame me when/if they don't. If not, it wouldn't surprise me if the cut is proprietary and you will have to have them milled. If you are looking specifically for Bomar type adjustables (what you linked to), you will for sure have to have the rear milled. Novak style adjustables (if you could find some that would fit), might be what you are wanting, and would keep you from having to cut stuff.

I'd check 1911forums, and the Charles Daly website (their new owner seems real responsive to messages) and verify what the deal is.

16. kellyclan

I would call up Heinie and ask them what size your dovetails are and pick out what you need. http://www.heinie.com

Once you have the correct model numbers, you can check Brownells to see if they have it cheaper.

I'm not certain enough of my eyeballing the pic to guess the size, but I'm sure they make it. The Slantpro Ultra Low Mount rear should drift right in without having to mill your slide.