WEB MMORPGs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SocialBrokerz, Dec 24, 2008.

1. SocialBrokerz

SocialBrokerz New Member

are these good to invest in? i always see people trying to sell their website/script and always wondered if it would be fun to own one.

anyone know of any good scripts? considerably sports mmorpgs?

or does anyone here have any experience with owning a mmorpg site

:dunno:

2. SocialBrokerz

SocialBrokerz New Member

and by MMORPG, i mean those text-based type games

3. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

similar to prisonstruggle or baranfranca? i know for a fact that prisonstruggle and mafiaunit (a game formerly advertised on OT) use the same script. for the life of me I can't remember what it was called. I do know that the script was being sold for about $100 but needed work.

4. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Mafia unit looks to be a mccodes clone from the front screen. Prisionstruggle could be but it's way skinned. I have one that I've been working on, cloning LPC (lost power city) also advertised on OT a while back. It's fun, and yes mccodes is full of holes. Every time I piss off one of the players he shows me a new hole. Ahahahaha

5. SocialBrokerz

SocialBrokerz New Member

interesting, do you guys have any information on how I should get started if I was interested in acquiring a script, or just general things I should know for success.

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I've noticed they tend to convert really well at first, but the majority of their users don't stick around long enough.

7. trev.the.enemy

trev.the.enemy New Member

I ran a few prominence sites back in the day.. think I got that right.

This was in '01-'02. I came out ahead, but they're a lot of work if you get a large userbase. :hsd:

8. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

interested in reading this as well.

love the av, btw.

9. famulusad

famulusad New Member

I did a lot of admin/programming on mafiaunit before it was sold off to the current owner (and my apologies to anyone here who played the game. It was sold behind my back, so I had nothing to do with the game's current status).

Mafiaunit was built on grpg (www.pixozuproductions.com/grpg/index.php). Grpg has a number of security problems, so if you want to do more than just have fun with the script you'll be spending a lot of time working on the code. None of the sql queries are properly escaped. None of the input is checked to make sure it's valid.

Here are a few tips that I think make for a successful game:

Be honest and fair, but don't be everyone's friend. Players will excuse mistakes, especially if you're open about them upfront. At one point I made a stupid mistake and had to roll back to a day old backup. Some players complained, but most understood the problem. The rollback was done in a timely fashion and most people were happy with a few days worth of perks to make up for the lost time. You'll end up becoming friends with some players, but make sure you don't let them take advantage of you. I would always give out freebies from time to time, but I would never play favorites.

Make yourself available. Keep an eye on your players. I ended up spending eight to ten hours a day in the game answering emails, doing maintenance, programming, etc. Like kingtoad said, these games tend to have a high turnover rate, and the players can be impatient. Replying to messages and emails as quickly as possible, even if just to let the players know that you're looking into their problem keeps them around longer.

While you're spending all this time in the game, make sure you're constantly watching the access logs, error logs, etc. Players will cheat, steal, abuse each other, and try to destroy the game. Right now mafiaunit has been down for almost two months because of a 'hacker'. If the current owner had been checking the error logs, he would have seen the hack attempts almost a day before the action that brought down the game.

Continually improve the game. There are a lot of these type of games out there, especially with mafia and crime themes. Players have a lot to chose from, and the game with the most frequent and consistent updates will win out most of the time.

I could probably keep going for quite a while, but this is already getting long. Take a look at some of the developer communities. There are people out there that have been doing this longer than me giving out good advice. (try www.bbgamezone.com and criminalexistence.com)

10. Ender0910

Ender0910 woot!

:coold: thanks for taking the time to write that out

11. famulusad

famulusad New Member

One other thing I forgot to mention. The owner of mafiaunit originally brought me in to work on a space trading game based on The Merchant (http://sourceforge.net/projects/themerchant/). Again, there are some security problems (no escaping of variables in sql and trusting user input), but it's a much cleaner looking game with much less direct competition out there.