MMORPG Crafting

Discussion in 'Online Adventures' started by Repentinus, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

Is there an MMORPG that has a crafting system as good as EQs? You ask me that game had it the best. Misty Thicket Picnics anyones?

WoW's crafting is too easy. Anyone and everyone can get 300 in any craft. Not only that but you can only choose two crafts. CRAP.

EQ2's crafting is freaking way too complicated. Not in that I can't understand it, but in that in order to get item A, I need to make items B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I......etc. I can understand some subcombines but holy crap. Also the limiting of crafts exists. If I do nothing but craft I should be better at more than just a couple.

Lineage II.....don't even get me started.

I'm looking for something that lets me be a "Master Craftsman." The ability to master all trades. Not only that but make it difficult that not everyone wants to do it. But don't make it so complicated.

2. Eticket109

Eticket109 Nibbles, chew through my ball sack. Moderator

FFXI has a decent crafting system. Its purely level based from 1-100

There are 8 guilds: Bonecraft, Leather, Woodworking, Smithing, Goldsmithing, Cooking, Alchemy and Clothcraft

Every 10 levels the skill is capped until you turn in a certain item to the guild. Then you can go to the next cap etc. After you get a craft past the 30-cao test you can start turning in itemss for guild points which can be used on key items, items or equipment that can help or add dimensions to your crafting

There is a catch in the system though.There is a pool of 40 levels available past 60 that covers all crafts. Essentially this means if you take cloth to 100, the highest any of your other skills can go is 60. If you take Leather to 80, you have 20 levels to build other crafts past 60 as well.

Some crafts are tougher to level then others. I can count the number of 100 Goldsmithers on our server on one hand... yet you cant walk through a crowded zone without tripping over a cook in the high 90s.

One guy in our linkshell (ie: clan) actually has 7 mule accounts going. His goal is to get all 8 characters to have 100 in one discipline with 60 in the others. He's a bit nuts but a cool guy otherwise.

3. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

I spent 12 hours today crafting in EQ2... wholy shit this games crafting is crazy.
    I only raised a couple levels and i was crafting like a mad man.
    The lvl 50 crafters either hack or are inhuman. This game is sick.

4. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

I dont know if its still alive... but Horizons was labled te crafters game of choice.
    The whole game is really build arounds its crafting system.
    Its pretty interesting. I havnt played in a looooooooooong time so dunno if they made changes to it or if the servers are even up still.

Crafting was cool.
    Being able to be a dragon that can fly is cooler ;p
    There was no end game in it tho.

You accually "build" your house via crafting once you buy the plot.
    You have to hire other crafters to do work for you to build different parts of of your house or get your guild to contribute. Also you can do work for others to earn money. Gathering system was pretty cool too.

All spells/armor/weapons come from player made objects.
    There was even huge one time events you could participate in via crafting.
    You had to build mass comunity bridges and crap. Dunno I didnt get much into that.
    I remember once it was completed on your server it would open up a new playable race.

Look into it.

5. Daemonfly

Daemonfly New Member

WHen I played DAOC I thought it's crafting wasn't too bad. Many things I liked vs EQ's repetition.

6. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

FFXI's crafting wasn't too bad...except for the crystals part. Farming for crystals was a pain in the wah hoo. You could buy them from other players but then you could sell what you made for a profit. Can we say annoying.

Downloading Horizons for the free trail right now....

I played DAOC when it first came out but didn't care for it. Just never sat right with me.