SRS MMORPG Addiction :/

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Igneous, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Igneous

Igneous \\ OT Supporter

So I've finally decided to stop hiding from it. About 16 months ago I got ffxi for pc and it was probably one of the biggest mistakes of my life(damn eb for not having halo for pc in stock :hs: ).
    Since then I have dedicated every second of my time to playing this damn game. I have been lucky to work on call in the past so I'd spend sometimes all day, playing hell even 15hrs a day for the past 3 days for sure. Its now june, the weather is great and I wanna go outside, go to beaches, hang out w/ friends and just enjoy life, LIVE, not just play this stupid game all the time. I am sitting here trying to find the courage to quit but I dont know what it is inside me that stops me. I cant help it, this game actually gives me more stress than in my personal life too.
    I get stressed about leveling up(i personally hate it/doing crap for $$/and just dealing with total assholes that play). However, I have met some very nice people while playing this game which I think could possibly be one of the major reasons for me not quitting. I've invested about 300 Game Days behind this game since i got it feb 2004.
    I personally sometimes ask myself how much of a jackass I can be, I am often very angry at myself for not digging up the courage to just hit delete character button and end it all. Lately I've been trying to go out more often, hang out with friends, and just not think of it, but its not working, like i think of ffxi when I am playing basketball or cant wait to get back home to get on this damn drug. I also belive that I have wasted 300 days of my life playing this game because I used to be a pretty good programmer, on my way to start learning assembly language and so on. Since I got ffxi i haven't ever touched my C++ book, i honestly have no fucking clue where it is right now, and I have also lost touch with some of my friends.
    My friends told me straight up I dont chill much anymore, I avoid their phone calls (obviously to go out) so i can play ffxi when i am off work. The thing is...they're absolutely right. I am ashamed of it. Another thing is, I tried quitting before but then people that play the game with will be kinda devestaged that I quit b/c in terms of end game shit in that game I basically gave my clan single handed ability to beat everyone else b/c of cheats :ugh2: .
    I know some ppl might be liek "dude wtf are you thinking, this is YOUR life, YOU need to fix it, you dont want to end up like some loser geek that is a mmorpg god but cant remember the last time they saw the sun." I know this, I know my failures, but I just cant fucking do it!!! This is the only thing I cant find a way to get out of. Heck I used to be a pot head and I quit about 5months ago, and in all honesty it was 50x easier to do than to quit this game.
    I just want my life back and I am losing this battle, if anyone can offer any advice I would appreciate it.

Thx. :sadwavey:

2. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Come on man. You hit the cancel button and then you delete it from the computer.

Want to get more drastic? Sell off your character like some of my friends did.

I got attached to my RNG/NIN in FFXI myself because of all the time invested in it too (you would know)....but not enough that it wasn't easy enough to just stop cold turkey when I felt real life demanded my attention.

These nice people you meet online will be around when the next hot thing rolls around... they're not going to fault you for leaving. That's the nature of these games.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

As a hard core computer game fanatic since i was 5 years old i totally understand what you are going thru and i have something to tell to you.

Like you i've wasted significant years on playing computer games. When i was in the arcade and about 9 years old , i threw every coin that i possesed into the arcade slots. When suddenly a very old man along with a lady came to me, the old man asked " Can you win any Prizes here?" Well, i said " No " , the man immediatly turned his head and walked away....

BANG!, it hit me ' YOU CANNOT WIN ANYTHING ' from playing computer games.

Therefore only invest your time into things that you can actually gain something from in real life. And thats gamers advice :cool:

4. Budha

Budha Guest

See, I play halo or some game on xbox live a few hours every day... I mean its a release for me. I just dont let it get the best of me. Now when halo 2 first came out, I literally played for 6 hours every day for 2 weeks, and it finally lost some of it for me.

5. seven

seven New Member

dude i know exactly how you feel, i stay away from mmorpg's becasue they never end, and i never get off of them.

Try doing this: Buy a single player RPG, a really addicting one you will get into. I really got into dot hack b/c it was a simulated mmorpg, but i'm sure you can find a game that suits you. Play this game constanlty, try to get 100% on this game, make it your goal to get 100%, play it day and night...when you hit 100, you're done. Nothing more you can do...hopfully you will have forgoton about FF by then.

this has helped me forget about games i've been stuck into, and it's not like you are quiting cold turkey.

I know it's weak advice, but that all i got.
    just rememebr a lot of people are in your situation, and that it is posible to overcome this.

p.s. you program right? and you like games? get obsessed with c++/java, learn how to make your own games, that will be very productive, challenging, and will help you get better in programming.

6. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Same thing happend to me with Diablo II. I got lucky, a dupe hack came out, and totally ruined the game for me. I almost cried that someone ruined my game, totally killed it. Its sad that video games can steal your life like that, but it happens. Just give your account to some noob on the game, and never look back. I had to do that with WC3.

7. 91crxdx

91crxdx New Member

i know where your at. I was in the same spot in my life. But I stoped working, and quit my job.... Damn WoW ownd me for 6 months. I would go hang with my friends, and eventually someone would bring up Wow and we would all start talking about it. I remeber going to movies or dinner, i would sit there and think what i would do when i got home on wow. Its like a drug and you need to treat it that way. My account is up on ebay as we speak. I figure if I can get how much i paid for the game +monthly fee Ill be set. Hell i might even make a few bucks. As soon as I quit and uninstalled the game i felt waaaay better. You just have to make the first Big step, everything else will fall into place.

Also Led, i hate to say it but i was a greedy basterd and flooded the market on useast back in the day. Made good money on ebay but it to ruined my d2 playing days.

8. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Cut up the credit card
    Sell your character

9. modena

modena OT Supporter

if you want i can delete it for you ;)

10. gourmizz

gourmizz New Member

i used to have almost the same problem with asherons call, i wasnt addicted to it, but i played my fair share of it.

listen, if you have trouble deleting your charaacter, give me your account info and i'll go right on and delete him for you, i personally hated the game myself so i never got into it, but it's still on my computer. think about it and pm me.

11. spikku

spikku New Member

I know what you mean. It started when I was trying to figure out how to make a MMORPG in flash, found this game, and got addicted. I mean bad. Like 10 hours a day, for about 8 months. It was the dumbest little game, but I just had to play it. so... one day the game admin deleted everyones stuff, and I stopped forever.

Then came Dransik, coolest little MMOORPG I ever played. I did the same thing on that game, freaked out, and sold my guy for $150. Deleted it from my computer and was cool for about 3 months before I felt like I had to start a new game.

Low and behold, I got into Conquer Online. It was fun, but damn, 7 momths of WASTING TIME makes you get crazy. Here I am with an uber character now (actually 2) and all I want to do is sell them.

I also played some cooler "newer" games like Star Wars (for about 2 months until I found out you have to completely delete skills to be a Jedi, GAY!!) and World of Warcraft (that game was really easy to quit, especially when you spend 80% of your time RUNNING!)

In the end, I found the MMORPG that works for me. I log on maybe, once or twice a day, for like, 10-15 minutes, ... and that's all you need. The LEVELING UP is what you get addicted to, whether it takes 10 hours a day, or 10 minutes you just want to "level up"... that's the addicting part. Try a cheesy little browser game like me (I play atorian.com because I only have to play for like 10 minutes a day and it cures my urge to level up) ...

Hope it helps man, don't spend your time on these fuggin games if it makes you feel like a loser.

Idiaz is totally right, try and write your own MMORPG, start with Sphere, it a nice environment. Even if you don't finish the game, you'll learn plenty more about programming guaranteed.

P.S - I'm still selling my Conquer guy (www.conqueronline.com) if anyone cares lol....

12. schismatik

schismatik \m/

I used to have the same problem with this game known as "Counter-Strike"! lol...Well yeah everyone is right. Do something drastic. I played the game since 2000 and recently quit in February of this year. I mean i wanted to quit almost a year ago, but it's hard cuz you do meet great people that you just don't want to lose touch of. And most of those great people I met where in my counter-strike clan. The drastic measure i took was to quit my clan. Once i did that, i tried playing in other servers w/out them and it wasn't the same game anymore. And I just quit cold turkey after that. I suggest though you find something else to entertain you at home when you can't go out, or no one is available to go out. I just start playing xbox with my younger brother.

13. Imp4kT

Imp4kT New Member

No.

The idea of playing games is have fun, even being competitive.

When it ceases to be fun, quit.

This game is obviously making you depressed but you feel attached to the friends you have made, you need to realise you need to let go, its not worth it, try and get contact details and delete it, throw the CD away, if it is affecting your happiness somewhere else in life, quit.

14. lauren

lauren Active Member

my bf/ex does the same thing with warcraft. we used to spend time together, and he would come over just to hang out with me. then in oct, wow was released and he played it for 18+ hours a day, 7 days a week, no exageration. he hijacked my computer bc it plays the game better and has a larger screen and i would have to sleep on the couch bc he'd play till 6 am in my bedroom. he would go days without showering or brushing his teeth. he would go for days in my house without saying a word to me. hed rather play the game than have sex with me. the only thing he talks about is wow, and hes almost always complainign about some drama thats going on ingame. he was using me for my internet connection and free food (400$/month i was supporting, and he provided no $ for bills, rent, internet, food), so i told him he couldnt play at my house anymore.

i dont ever see him anymore. sad, he had real potential. he failed his last semester of college (materials sci) bc of this game. he is in debt bc of this game. his health is poor bc of this game and our relationship is over bc of this game.

end it while you can.

15. seven

seven New Member

you know it's bad when you want a gf for an internet connection, thats horible, really, that makes me sad.:hs:

16. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

NO

The idea is that with playing computer games you win nothing in life, there is a virtual reward, not a real life one, that is what i am trying to tell this person, i know better then anyone that its supposed to be fun and competitive, but it ruins your REAL life , and REAL life matters, not the virtual life. It is supposed to be an accessoire in our live's not a spiritual dependancy like drugs or alcohol.

The human mind and its dependancy on certain 'things' is surely pathetic.

17. jeremyjoe

jeremyjoe New Member

i deleted my games 2 years ago, now i only play once in a while or with friends.....i recommend finding a new hobby.....dance, art, girls, drawing a dancer for girl.....and you gotta hang out with your friends, just hit escape.....life is too short to die in front of a screen

18. edwin23

edwin23 New Member

to the person talking about asherons call.. i was ADDICTED to that game.. like majorly.. it hink i played it like back in gr 7 or something. how i got off it? i didnt.. my dad basically saw that i was addicted and cut me off.. which was good otherwise i'd probably be suffering the consequences.. anyways when he stopped me from playing it i was kinda mad at him but it was for the better.

if u wanna quit.. just quit.. all u gotta do is delete it... you'll find lots of other things to do out there man

19. dopeman

dopeman ich bin ein berliner

i had the same prolem wiv counter strike,played it a long time and completly messed my head up,all i had on my mind was that shitty game,i think what helped me was just sitting back and looking at it as a nothing more than a crappy game.thats all it is,hit the quit button and tell em to fuck off!

20. Igneous

Igneous \\ OT Supporter

well i knwo this is kinda a late reply but i got myself banned from ffxi today for violating tos. I dont feel really bad at all i know its 4 months later heh but I just miss the people, hopefully I can slowly get over it, but withdrawal is a bitch right now :|. I am gonna need to smoke weed for a while u_u;... or i dunno, something.

21. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Work the 12 steps

22. marauder

marauder New Member

Shit hay thats got to suck. It's a wonder he didn't have something else in mind to do with you I know I would :naughty:.

Yeah I don't play a lot of games maybe only when I first buy it I will play it a bit till I finish it or get used to it (say a few days) then thats it might come back once and a while to it (rarely would I bother to play a game twice) but I rarely play games now maybe 1 day a month at the most and I rarely buy a new game maybe once a year.

Don't like WoW or MMORPG based games.

23. Igneous

Igneous \\ OT Supporter

erm... i wouldn't call having vrtra stolen by jpn Ls and mpking them cheating. ah well i'm feeling a lot beter anyway, now i gtg spend more time w/ my SO and maybe get a better job :o

24. kinyo7600

kinyo7600 The Swiss Magician :noes: OT Supporter

Recently recovered from a severe MMORPG addiction myself. Totally screwed me up :wtc:. Basically paused my life for 5 years, 3 years in college, flopped, 2 years sitting on my ass doing nothing, but I've finally been able to do something about it. It tore at me emotionally, I'd get angry due to stuff happening in a stupid game, but I'm glad it's over with.

It takes a lot to finally get over it, but if a spineless fuck like me can overcome it, so can you :bigthumb:.

25. marauder

marauder New Member

Well I know someone who seems to play a lot of WoW now I just :hsugh: :rofl:
    I don't know what's great about them I don't have any interest in them so I guess I won't realy understand why you find them so good to play.

I d/l a wow video Tried to see why people find it soo addicting
    and watched it and I :rolleyes::rofl::rofl:
    Looks like shit graphics
    And the characters in it :rofl:

I rarely play games these days but they have to at least have high end graphics for me to look at other wise there painful to play even with a good story line.

So anyway good to see your over the video game and can move.
    NOW Im sure you can think of more pleasurable ways to get your daily high now go find your SO :naughty: