MMA MMA Rumors keep me entertained....

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by RMarks, Apr 19, 2007.

1. RMarks

RMarks New Member

UFC 74: Georges St. Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck a Real Possibility

A UFC 74 event is rumored to take place Aug. 25, and based on recent statements and some off-the-record conversations that UFCjunkie.com has had with reliable sources, a main-card bout between former UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and rising contender Josh Koscheck could be a real possibility.

The intriguing matchup of 170-pounders would have obvious and immediate repercussions in the UFC’s welterweight division.

St. Pierre lost his belt during his first-ever title defense earlier this month to Matt Serra at UFC 69. The Canadian, however, will have to wait to get it back; fellow former champ Matt Hughes is expected to get the first shot at Serra’s title in September.

Hughes, the UFC’s longtime welterweight champ and a sure-fire UFC Hall of Famer, lost his belt to St. Pierre at UFC 65 after a legendary run of title defenses. He made his return to the Octagon in March with a dominating (if not exciting) unanimous-decision win over The Ultimate Fighter 4 welterweight runner-up Chris Lytle at UFC 68.

UFC president Dana White recently stated that Hughes would be next in line for a title shot, most likely in September.

With Hughes and Serra tied up with that fight, the door opens for a bout between the division’s top contenders.

UFCjunkie.com recently mentioned a report that stated St. Pierre would next fight in August, though his opponent wasn’t immediately known. However, after a little digging, we’ve learned that both camps seem fairly convinced that a St. Pierre-Koscheck bout will take place to crown a top contender, who should then face that winner of Serra-Hughes.

“Call it a gut feeling,” said one source. “If I were a gambling man, I’d venture to say St. Pierre already knows who he’s fighting next.”

That opponent, of course, would be Koscheck, who scored an upset of bitter rival Diego Sanchez earlier this month at UFC 69. The unanimous-decision victory leapfrogged Koscheck in the welterweight rankings. In fact, at one time, it was thought that the winner of that battle of The Ultimate Fighter cast members would get an immediate title match.

Instead, Koscheck would have to take a detour through St. Pierre, who would surely be his toughest test to date.

The potential matchup could be one of the biggest draws at UFC 74, which is also expected to feature a main event of UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture vs. the winner of this weekend’s UFC 70 main event between Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and underdog Gabriel Gonazaga.

2. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Dana quote:

“I used to talk like Floyd Mayweather when I was involved in boxing. I talked just like him, until I educated myself about this sport. These guys are amazing athletes, Floyd Mayweather is one of the best boxers ever, (and) Sean Sherk will whoop his ass in under two minutes. Any day that Mayweather wants to put his money and his ass where his mouth is, I’m ready. If he wants to step up, let’s do it. I’m willing to put together a fight for Sean Sherk and Floyd Mayweather with numbers that would make sense for Floyd. And I guarantee you he would not accept it. Floyd Mayweather would never fight in the UFC because he would get his head ripped off.

:rofl:

3. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I find it funny, especially since it's true.

4. OnionPeel

OnionPeel New Member

I don't watch boxing and don't know much about mayweather, but what if he has excellent takedown defense?

...you can never gaurantee anything in this level of fighting.

*cough* sokoudjou

5. RMarks

RMarks New Member

sudoku has a Judo background, so he's gonna have a take down defense. I'd rather see Stevenson vs Mayweather, because Sherk is a bit boring when he gets the fight down.

6. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

I'm not sure if Sokoudjou could be compared to a boxer. He was a judo chamption right?

7. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

That wouldn't really be an "upset", to me at least.

8. friedrice

friedrice New Member

As boring as he is, with Kos's wrestling skills and semi improved striking the guy could actually find himself at the top in a very short time. I too think Kos would take this win.

9. RMarks

RMarks New Member

I'd bet money on GSP back in NY working with Renzo

10. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Because Koscheck isn't that fucking dumb or confident in his hands that he's going to stand and trade with GSP. Koscheck is going to try and put GSP on his back. The only reason Koscheck stood with Diego is because he had no standup ability.

11. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Willing to bet $20 on that :mamoru:

12. RMarks

RMarks New Member

:wtc: I'm always a funny guy

13. Mountain Dude

Mountain Dude Here it comes, and there it goes, another day in d

I don't think George will fight Kos, they're friends, he said he'd never fight a friend.

14. RMarks

RMarks New Member

When did he say there were friends?

15. RMarks

RMarks New Member

:wtc: why do you always say such hurtful things to me? :mamoru:

16. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Guest

diego vs kos round 2 was total bullshit, if diego pulled the diego he fought against joe riggs/karo pariysan...kos would lose round 3 tko or via decision.

17. Kuet

Kuet New Member

:fawk: you for even mentioning this.:wtc:
    While i could see this happening, it would be the same way he wins most of his fights- doing just enough to win, and a very conservative fight on the side of koscheck. ( BORING ) FUCK I HATE KOSCHECK
    On another note , whoever GSP fights for his comeback fight, i hope he kicks some ass....
    and who thinks the UFC is giving georges a hard time? they made him REALLY work hard to get his second title shot, and for his comeback fight he has to fight ( maybe ) kosfaggot- while hughes gets to fight lytle and gets an immediate title shot?? fuck that- i really hope serra finds another way to win, then we can see GSP/ serra 2.

18. Kuet

Kuet New Member

either you overate koscheck or you hate GSP.

19. Kuet

Kuet New Member

ill second that- hell drag, bet right now, if you win ill buy you full subscription for a year, so you can clear you pm's and change that awesome AV you have:mamoru:
    now walk it out....

20. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

I didn't overeat, a little hungry actually.

21. Kuet

Kuet New Member

youre hilarious.