MMA MMA question.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by ZeroSkillet, May 22, 2006.

1. ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet Matt Hughes > *

Judging from the description provided would you consider this the most well rounded MMA course I should take?
    http://www.floridamartialarts.com/ffa/courses.htm

Freestyle Fighting
    [​IMG]Freestyle Fighting is a mix of boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, jiu-jitsu, and no holds barred fighting. As a student of the Freestyle Fighting Academy, you will learn how to use techniques from several martial art disciplines and apply them in real situations. This form of fighting is self-defense that works outside of the classroom. This is a complete style of fighting that will allow anyone of any age, size, or gender to effectively defend themselves against any opponent. This is the base of our academy. We offer beginner and advanced classes.

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i suggest dedicating your time to being very good at one particular part of fighting.. and then cross training. unless you have six hours to train every day. people who try to cross train at everythning while only spending 2 hours a day will typically become pretty crappy at all of them.

3. ZeroSkillet

So should I just take BJJ courses as I originally was planning? Thing is I want it as a sport and also want to pick something up along the way that might help me(possibly going into Law Enforcement).

4. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I agree. You /HAVE/ to cross train but unless you can spend stupid amounts of time training(i.e. its your full time job) then you need to have one thing your good at and know enough of the rest to not get tooled. I'm a submisions guy. No matter how much I want to be KO artist BJJ is always going to be what I revert to when I get into the ring. I can stand and bang..but its all to set up the take down. You could train muay thai and develop and amazing spawl. Just what ever works for you.

5. ZeroSkillet

Im in the air now as to what I should do....

6. chechen

ive been told by policemen that bjj has been a good tool for them. just learning to control a big guy is always helpful.. plus bjj has some self defense concepts (like an escape if someone puts you in a schoolboy headlock) Muay thai would be great too.. but i dont think policemen usually get in brawls with the guys.. they usually just need to take them down and restrain them, and you'd definitely get used to grappling with tough guys in bjj. not to mention its really fun. but you know what man.. take a free class at a few different places. thats the best way to make up your mind.

and yes there are a lot of sportive aspects from bjj you would NOT use in law enforcement.. but theres also a lot that could help you as well

7. ZeroSkillet

yea...thanks alot man.

I think Ill prolly settle on BJJ and like you said...later on I can move to something else.

lol...Im so not flexible...and you think itll hurt me in BJJ if I left weights?

8. chechen

dont overthink things.. just go and train.. and youll figure everything out then.

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:werd: I want to be a cop so I'm gonna have to learn some extra BJJ in addition to what they teach during training/academy.

I don't think I'd last long if I went around kicking/punching people who wouldn't comply... I think they have a phrase for that. something like "police brutality" :o

Thread starter: You have a few options. If you really want to do MMA and not a particular sport, but also want to follow chechens advice of stickign to one sport mainly (which I agree with), I reccomend trying Muay Thai first for a few months to learn the basics and training methods... Then, switch to BJJ, and get a heavy bag at home (and if you can, find a friend w/ some focus mitts and practice frequently).... Although muay thai fighting takes years to get actually good at, it can be learned on a basic level relatively quickly, whereas BJJ has a lot of moves that you need to laern to do from different positions and so on... striking is a little more simple to figure out for yourself once you got down the movements. At least this way you can develop a little striking before you spend a couple years in BJJ classes. Just a thought.

10. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Id personally give it all a go see what you enjoy most if you dont enjoy it you wont put the effort needed into it.

11. Placebo

Placebo New Member

12. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

That's what I'd do. Lifting weights shouldn't hurt your flexibility as long as you stretch.