MMA crew....Help!

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by WholeFnShow, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WholeFnShow

WholeFnShow Guest

Looking for information regarding descent MMA schools in my area (Phoenix). If you have any links, referrals or know someone who trains out this way & can pass that info along to me it'd be appreciated. Not picky about what the school teaches, but I'd like to get some training in BJJ. Thanks in advance!

--Larry

2. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

yp.gte.net or check out the forums on fightingarts.com

3. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

my schools parent school is up there (team megaton), fyi he trains jenna jameson :naughty:

http://www.teammegaton.net/

EDIT: note that he is directly under Royler Gracie

4. WholeFnShow

WholeFnShow Guest

I actually found that via a google search. Looks like a good school, but should I start w/training in BJJ being that I have no background, or should I start training in something else (I.E. boxing) first and work my way through (and yes I know we're talking about standup vs. grabbling/submission).

5. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

you can do both at once if the school offers both.

6. tenmeikanoh

tenmeikanoh New Member

I trained for a short while under Jack McVicker (www.jackmcvicker.com) in college. It was pretty good, and he's associated with Megaton. Don't know if this says anything about Megaton's school, but I thought I'd mention it...

7. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

8. WholeFnShow

WholeFnShow Guest

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be exploring my options in the next few months.

9. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

considering you ARE talking about stand up vs. ground, i dont think boxing will prepare you much for grappling...that being said, i agree you can (and personally believe you SHOULD) train both...i dont believe meg has striking classes, tho i might be mistaken cuz i havent been to his pheonix school (only trained with him when he came to our school)....if your interested in grappling at all, you gotta start somewhere, why not make the foundation as strong as possible and go to the root to start off strong?!

if your interested in MMA then you should be focusing on certain areas of training, if no ONE school provides all the skills then it will be up to you to seek them out and put them together...you need good striking (boxing, muay thai), good grappling (BJJ, Sambo, Wrestling), and good take downs (Wrestling, Judo, Sambo)...if you have a primary focus in BJJ and muay thai then you will be following the basic checklist for generic MMA (many substitute boxing for muay thai and do just fine)

but if meg's school isnt for you, check your yellow pages for schools listing BJJ (most of them are more geared toward MMA now) or Jeet Kune Do (which incorporates every art ive listed so far among dozens of others, and is also becoming split, one camp for very dirty street fights, the other camp for MMA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.