MMA crew: help me with my lifting

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by SquirtRussel, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquirtRussel

SquirtRussel OT Supporter

so.. how do i explain this.... i am a skinny fugger, 6'3'' @ 185 lbs.

up from 170lbs... took 4 months off to gain weight and work, prepare for college, etc...

my goal is to reach 205.

muay thai: M,T,W,TH,F
    BJJ: T,TH
    weight lifting: M,W,F

just wondering when you usually lift weights during the week, because i find that lifting before practice just takes all of the power out of my striking :(
    i felt like a girl today

im actually losing weight... am down from 190 a week ago... its hard gaining wieght with this schedule... and hard eating enough to promote growth

not so much asking for suggestions, but asking how your personal weight lifting regimen fits into your training.

/rant

2. joy division

joy division New Member

Honestly with as much cardio as training for mma is, it will be hard for you to do what most people here preach (bulking a shitload fairly fast, then cutting). I would look to keep your calories as high as you can and keep doing what you are doing and gain weight slowly.

3. SquirtRussel

thats what ive been doing :wtc: but it seems that im instead slowly losing weight :(

i know that some of you MMA bishes are broly :squint:

4. CrackityJones

CrackityJones OT Supporter

Have you tried a weight gainer like N-Large?

5. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

I know the pain, down from almost 220 to around 200 in 6 months. I train MMA tues, wed, thurs for 3 hours and weight train m, w, f for an hour at a time. I run, and play sports on the weekend too.
    Basically you are going to have eat and sleep more, not to mention check your pride at the door when you hit the gym. It will take sometime, but you will get used to it.

6. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

as hard as it is to believe your body will adapt to whatever you do to it over time as long as you build up slowly and allow it the proper chance to adapt. Like JD said you will need to keep the calories high, be good about hydration and depending on how intense the muay thai is, cut your routine down to the basics, like bench, squat and C&J 3 times a week at a relatively low volume. As you start to adjust you can add in a little accessory work.

I use something like this as far as my training goes, combined now with a lot of medley and higher rep training.

Don't be scared to cut back on the MT a little as well, I would sugest you at least drop it on the days you are going to roll for now. The you could lift T, TH, and Sunday.

7. joy division

joy division New Member

I'd second the cutting back on MT unless this is your job. IMO the most important things that get overlooked (especially by me) are #1 sleep- recovery is so key to making any kind of progress..without high calories you are just going to deteriorate especially doing so much mt...how long are you training sessions? 3 hours or so?

Definitely try to keep oly lifts like the snatch, clean and jerk etc. as well as bench and squat and dead like nhb said. Oly lifts will give you great explosive power for when you are doing takedowns or throws.

8. SquirtRussel

wow! i didnt expect such helpful information! this is some great advice... and i will definately keep this in mind as i get used to forming my schedule and routine :bigthumb:

thanks alot guys

9. i find myself in the same situation, where it is hard to gain lean mass because i am so active. i have been trying to eat more and more, but i still stay super lean, and any gain seems to be by the month if at all.

keep training your arts that will pay off more than an increase of 20lbs on bnech of dl imo.

i am in a pretty similar situation, trying to put on some mass for strength in my ma and especially ground techniques but it is hard. try some high dense foods like natty peanut butter, possibly some weight gainer, throw olive oil on everything and add whey to whatever possible.

for someone that struggles to put on weight and be super active, i know how hard it is. hope that helps in some way.

10. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

You really have to find out what your body is good for. I used to be a soccer player and a middle distance runner in high school. I started doing filipino martial arts, muay thai, and grappling about three year ago. I reallized my body was'nt built for explosive power, while I have decent strikes and take downs I am a workhorse. While most the explosive guys are running out of gas my body is warming up and then I lay in hurt. One of my friends on the other hand is very explosive, former competitive power lifter, but he gases out before me, it does'nt matter because usually he gets because his technique is better.

What does this have to do with lifting?? Well my lifting is'nt about getting massive or lifting heavy, I lift 80% for 12 reps, while having one set at max. I find this gives my muscles the endurance (great for bjj) and enough power for my strikes. My friend on the other hand lifts big.

11. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

12. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

this is possibly the most TRUTH statement I have heard on here in a long time.

13. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

ugh....I need to start dieting, and doing more HIIT.....focus on 3 minute intervals.

14. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

I was a similar situation as you. Exact same stats 6'3" 185ish. I found that I just had to keep eating and get atleast 300ish grams of protien per day. I found that running like half a mile to a mile was good because it made me real hungry and I ate like a mofo. Now i'm up to 200lbs and keeping at it.

15. SquirtRussel

good job :bigthumb:

thinking about some weight gaining powder like serious mass (cheaper than N-large and 2 lbs more...) and im just going to try and eat like a horse, and stick to my routine. :hsd:

16. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Yeah, I got some weight gainer powder too. I only use it when I can't eat a good meal though, drinking to much of that stuff will make you insane.

17. joy division

joy division New Member

3 min rounds killing you there big boy ;)

I used to have to do 21 three minute rounds followed by conditioning... that shit fucking sucked my cock. but...you are training to actually fight, i can't handle it anymore and have to concentrate on my career these days :hs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.