COMIC MLA's Manga Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by MyLittleAirport, Aug 27, 2008.

1. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

This thread is for those who love manga and/or people who are tired of waiting for new anime episodes and need something to kill time. I'm going to write about new and old mangas that I like. Feel free to add your own fav. mangas but give a synopsis and your opinion and not just a link. I'll try to provide direct download links but if not then I'll just give links to online manga reader links. I'm not going to delve too deep into a lot of my synopsis since I don't want to spoil anything.

Battle Angel Alita:

[​IMG]

Definitely my favorite manga of all time. I'm really into post-apocalyptic mangas and this is a great one. It's about a cyborg who's partial exoskeleton was found in a junkyard by a local Doctor and from there the story progresses onto something truely epic. You never really learn much about her past (unless you read the current Last Order "sequel" that is going on right now but it fails in comparison) but you see the struggles that she goes through in each phase of her existence on Earth. The manga delves into philosophies also like what does it mean to be human and the purpose of our lives and so forth. It has a great balance of drama and action and there are interesting characters.

http://www.vimanga.ru/manga/b/battle-angel-alita

Angel Densetsu:

[​IMG]

This is a comedy/drama with some "fighting" in it. This is the funniest manga I've read as of yet. The drawing style in the first couple volumes are very crude but it gets a lot cleaner and better as you go onto the later volumes. Same with the humor and laughing points in this manga, maybe the humor might get old for you guys because you will read the next chapter right after you're done with the current chapter because the way I read this manga was by reading it chapter by chapter as they were released very slowly over a long period of time so the humor was always fresh to me. Stick with it, get past a couple of the first chapters/volumes and you'll be pleasantly surprised by it, I hope.

http://www.onemanga.com/Angel_Densetsu/

7 Seeds:

[​IMG]

If you love Lost, then you will love this manga. I was turned off by the art style and never finished the 1st chapter no matter how many times I tried but I finally sat down and sat through the first couple chapters and it had me hooked and I spent the night reading all of the scanlated mangas that are out. It's another "post-apocalyptic" manga (you'll be seeing a lot of these from me as I find the older mangas I have read...) and the drawing is just not my style but the story is great. The girl in the beginning will piss you off btw but keep reading, there's "more" to the story then just hers...

http://www.onemanga.com/7_Seeds/

Update 1:

Gon:

[​IMG]

Gon, you probably know this guy from the older Tekkan games. The drawing is great in here and humor is good too, its a nice short manga (a little too short imo) that will kill some time.

http://www.vimanga.ru/manga/g/gon

I"S:

[​IMG]

IMO, this is the pinnacle of romance/drama mangas, like honestly, I believe you could read this and be done with any romance/drama manga (not that I'm saying you shouldn't read any other ones...). The drawing is good too, I like the artist's style, definitely check out his other works but going back on topic really quick, it's 15 volumes long so you know you're not going to be reading a "drawn out longer than it should be" romance/drama manga and this is a good place to start if these mangas aren't usually the type you would normally read.

http://www.vimanga.ru/manga/i/i-s

Planetes:

[​IMG]

I've erased my synopsis like 3-4 times already, I don't know how to explain this manga without sounding too overdramatic or idiotic. It's just so vast and deep, it's one of those "slice of life" mangas and it really had me captivated. This is one of the few mangas I actually went out and bought since I was interested in it. The first chapter sets the tone for the rest of the manga and man, what a good chapter that was :hsd:

http://www.vimanga.ru/manga/p/planetes

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. Idea of Evil

Idea of Evil Struggle

berserk > all of those

3. MyLittleAirport

I was going to post Berserk but I wanted to post some stuff that maybe other's haven't read or aren't as popular first and then go into more of the popular/mainstream ones.

4. MyLittleAirport

But nah, Berserk is good, the drawing is AMAZING but the last couple of volumes have been all over the place, too much shit happening all at once and the fact that the mangas are released so slowly doesn't help either.

5. JP

JP Active Member

i have never read anything funnier than gto, ever.

6. pepsi

pepsi Cut my life into pieces

i'm just gonna stalk you for as long as you have that AV:eek3::drool:

7. JP

JP Active Member

:rofl:

its mesmerizing

8. MyLittleAirport

GTO is hilarious too, very true :rofl:

You probably won't find Angel Densetsu as funny as I did but still worth a read, I read GTO when it was first being scanlated from this site: http://mangatranslation.com/

And man, that brings back some good memories.

9. tokyonights

tokyonights Believe in me, who believes in you OT Supporter

Angel Densetsu is hilarious. Especially the bully who's always talking shit. That fucker cracks me up :rofl:

10. MyLittleAirport

Oh man, he's HILARIOUS all the way up to the end. Even in the last chapter, he was still pulling his stupid shit and I would laugh everytime :rofl:

11. Sr20magik

Sr20magik OT Supporter

Nice thread. Deff trying to get back into reading some mangas. Will be looking forward to you adding some more.:bigthumb:

12. Idea of Evil

Idea of Evil Struggle

[​IMG]

13. Sr20magik

Sr20magik OT Supporter

:eek4::bowdown::bowdown::drool::drool:

14. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

Just think how great that would be if she had an ass.

15. Idea of Evil

Idea of Evil Struggle

:hsugh:

16. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

There's only two I can think of at the moment:

Lone Wolf and Cub
    Pure badass from beginning to end. It could have done with a bit less in the middle (it's a long series) but it's worth it. It's about a former samurai and his son and their quest for revenge. That 3-year old kid is just about the manliest character I've ever seen. The art's great and has a very traditional look to it, nothing cute about it.

Beck
    A painfully average 14-year old kid finally finds something he's good at as he gets drawn into a band. Over the course of several years you see him and the band progress. I'm not a musician but I am a music nut so maybe that's part of the appeal to me and I love this series. The art is pretty good and sometimes he does some really detailed stuff that is fucking phenomenal. He really has a knack for drawing faces so that you can see what they're thinking and I never would have thought that static drawings of performances could be so moving.

17. MyLittleAirport

Damn you, I was going to do those two eventually :o:mamoru:

But yeah, I definitely recommend these mangas also, especially Lone Wolf and Cub.

Here are the links for those two:

http://www.vimanga.ru/manga/b/beck

http://www.vimanga.ru/manga/l/lone-wolf-and-cub

18. Idea of Evil

Idea of Evil Struggle

beck is worthless without the music

19. Idea of Evil

Idea of Evil Struggle

vagabond
    blade of the immortal

great series

20. MyLittleAirport

I have a completely different opinion, the anime ruined it for me.

When I was reading Beck long before the anime came out, you had to use your imagination and believe that the music they were making was amazing revolutionary music that no one has heard before, something that made the greats of rock and roll history such as Lennon, Mercury, and so on pass on their torch to Beck. It's something so unbelievable and unthinkable that music like that would exist, thats why when the anime came out and I listened to the music, I was horribly let down.

Of course I was let down, its impossible to topple the greats and its even more impossible for music in an anime to be greater than those musicians, the manga is another level so its silly for me to even think that but thats why the manga was so great. It also goes further into the story than the anime did and the Engrish did not help either.

21. MyLittleAirport

Agreed.

22. Soymilk

Soymilk New Member

oh, for those of you that were reading bitter virgin, the rest of it got translated / put up if you hadn't noticed.

23. JP

JP Active Member

serious?

fucking TUN posting stuff that wasnt finished, i have to re-read all of it now. :o

24. tokyonights

tokyonights Believe in me, who believes in you OT Supporter

:bowdown: I know what I'm doing tonight

25. Sr20magik

Sr20magik OT Supporter

7 Seeds is pretty good so far.... Up to chapter 3.