GUN MK23 or P7M13

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by USMCsilver, Jan 31, 2006.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Got permission to buy another HK. Got a USP 9mm about two months ago, and a Tactical .45 last week. Now, the question is, what next?

The MK23 is no longer being produced. I assume, like all other HK's, prices will soon skyrocket and these things will be quite scarce; therefore, the desire to get one of those is high. However, it is a big, impractical gun. It ranks up there with the Desert Eagle, in a sense. I couldn't CWP it, I don't have a can, so, basically, I guess it would just be for the range.

Now, a P7M8 or P7M13 would be more practical. The "collectability" is also there, but additionally, there seems to be a greater availability on the market. Also, prices aren't too terribly high on those. The gun could be used for CWP, so, it is, again, more practical.

What do you guys think? If I think I'll end up with both, ultimately, which do you think I should get now? I mean, I do kinda want them both, but obviously, funds won't permit right now.

Thanks for the help! :fawk:

2. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

I'd say to get the P7Mwhatever first, they arent going to be made anymore, and it seems like they are jumping in value faster than the MK23's. But yeah, i'd agree with the getting both of them :mamoru:

I'm trying to decide between getting a USPc and fullsize stainless, both in 9mm, or a P7M8 :mamoru: I've already got a USP fullsize in .45, but the HK bug bit me in the ass :o

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Found a SOCOM with the GG&G scope mount with it. Not that big of a desire, but it may be fun with an Aimpoint on top. However, my main motivation behind getting that gun, instead one of the others I found for sale, is due to the fact that GG&G was the only company that ever made the mount, it's $250, was only produced once a year, and will soon be out of production forever. Makes it more "collectable".

4. RRTX

RRTX New Member

If I was buying it mainly as a fun gun, which it sounds like you are doing, I would go for the Mk23. The P7 would make a good carry gun, but it's not a very good fun gun because they get very hot very fast.

5. soccaian

soccaian New Member

when i shot my boss's P7 it was rather exhausting for my hand for some reason. i think its a mental thought that you have to constantly squeeze the grip.... i only put a few mags through it, so i imagine it would get better over time.

6. Furner

Furner New Member

buy a can instead!

7. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Move from Germany to Austria, my friend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

I'd pick up a Mk23 right now, I don't think prices will ever be this low on them again. I just sold my NIB MK23 recently and barely got $1700 from the gun, I think you'd be able to find one slightly used for around $1500. P7s are more practical, but I never carried mine because of various issues with the guns.

9. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Styer? WTF? Give up a MK23 for a damn Styer? No thanks dude.

Found a MK23 that I'm pretty sure I'm going with. Has a Wilcox/LAM with it that's available for purchase. Gonna see what I can work out with the seller, but it'll probably be too expensive; who knows?

10. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

hey no knocking on steyr. i would go with the P7 since its such a unique gun. just one of those guns to have.

11. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

You know people keep saying that, but I've went thru about 5 P7s and haven't kept a single one yet.

12. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Well, I decided to go w/ the MK23. Seems like there's a P7 series for sale on any forum at any time. Not too many SOCOM's out there up for sale.

Had to option to add a LAM/Wilcox thingamabob for a grand, but passed. The way I look at it is this -- it's old technology, but it will be collectable. If I really wanna drop that kinda money on a toy, I'll go for the new Insight Technologies LAM450.

Pics will come when the gun does (like you didn't know that already).

13. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Thunder, after further looking at that picture, how in the hell would you operate that light, effectively, when it was mounted on that Styer, or almost any pistol for that matter?

14. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

but u bought 4 more after the 1st one tho right? :)

15. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I would buy the P7 if I was you since I don't have a big desire for the MK23.

But now is the best time to buy a MK23. Their are many more P7's rolling around.
    I am using a PSP as my concealed carry and love it. If I find a good deal on a P7M13 I will buy it instantly. My only problem with the P7 is the limited capacity.

16. Thunderbear

I replaced the G2 with the DigiLight, and it looks less like a blaster from a scifi flick now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only time that light stays on the weapon is at night, so if something goes bump, I reach for the firearm without fumbling for the light too.. grab pistol, light comes up with it. To operate, I usually use my middle finger on the rear button, but I have the tailcap tight enough that I can just roll my index finger across it for constant on.

17. shohan

shohan New Member

:mamoru:

No Han Solo blaster?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which is actually a Broom Handle Mauser
    [​IMG]

To the OP: I say get a P7M13 :bigthumb:

18. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

P7M13 or even a P7M10.

19. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

In case you missed the post, the MK23 is on the way, baby! :noes:

No consideration was ever given to the P7M10; I don't much care for .40.

20. Thunderbear

Apropos of nothing, how hard was it to put on that SureFire forend?

21. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

True, very true.
    Obligatory pic of one of my previous P7s
    [​IMG]

22. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

USMCsilver, I think you'll be happy with your MK23. It's a beast of a handgun, one thing you should seriously consider is getting a suppressor for it. Unfortunately I don't have a pic handy of mine with a suppressor on it, but here's a pic of what you've got coming:
    [​IMG]

23. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Eh? I assume you mean on my 870? Takes two seconds.

24. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

I would like to; just don't like the idea of rejection from the Sherrif. May wait until I get a job as a LEO; I assume that'd make it easier.

By law alone, I don't think that he can make a whimsical decision to refuse to sign a Form 4. I think they are supposed to do it as long as there is no law or county ordinace banning suppressors for private citizens.

Who knows...

25. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

If you're in a small county I don't think you'll have a problem, just let him know you're former .mil and you're a responsible individual. And then if he says "no" tell him to his face you're gonna get them anyways under the name of a corp.