Mitsu Lancer Evo?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by IceMurder, Mar 19, 2007.

1. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

i'm thinking of getting one as my next car, probably the MR model...does anyone here have one? what do you think about it (pros vs. cons). is there anything i should know before looking into it further?

2. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

get it and start owning subaru sack riders.

3. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

we build and work on EVO's on a daily basis. It is a very well built car that will give you fun for years. It it easy to modify to have some real fun with.

great car in my opinion.

4. slowr6

slowr6 New Member

great car. takes well to mods

5. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

thank you for the replies, i can't wait!

6. P7

P7 You have something on your tongue, let me get that

Feel free to beat the piss out of it, so long as you know how to use a manual transmission PROPERLY.

7. Eclipsed830

Eclipsed830 Active Member

Awsome cars

8. 1.8t

1.8t Member

I have an Evo 8 for the time being. Great car, takes very well to mods and is very potent from a dig. I went [email protected] mph with an intake, exhaust, cams, BC, and a tune on pump gas. I am currently getting rid of it though for something more business like for my job(graduation senior from AU). Only downside is the styling, but that is debatable.

9. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

Evo 9 responds to mods even better, and IMO looks better from the front.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

They ride like shit, though. If you're older than 15, your back will not thank you for the ultra-stiff ride. You might want to look into getting a GTI instead, and then modding it to get more power so you can actually learn something about how your car works.

11. P7

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:bowrofl:

Don't listen to this fool. The EVO ride is rough, but stock it will turn circles around a GTI with thousands in suspension mods. And you're going to spend many thousands more on the GTI to make half the power of the EVO with the same invested. But apparently you'll learn more by owning one, so go for it:ugh2:

12. mcents717

mcents717 New Member

half the power?
    you can chip the 2.0 for 280hp for couple hundred bucks

can you gain 80 with a evo for the same price?

13. P7

Ok, so spend $500 or whatever on a chip, and your about where a stock EVO is and everything else is going to cost an arm and a leg. Spend $1200 on an exhaust and a tune on the evo and you're well in the 300s. You can get yourself to around 400 on the stock turbo. Plus you can use all that because you have traction, and you aren't driving a girly car.

14. deusexaethera

Okay then, Evo fanboy.

I'm not going to dispute whether the Evo gets more power than a GTI, but I promise that the GTI is a better real-world car than the Evo is -- it will stick to the ground more than well enough to take sharp corners at high speeds, it accelerates plenty fast, you won't get a speeding ticket every ten feet, and you won't look like a ricer idiot with your fake wings and airdams. Plus, the seats will actually be comfortable, you'll get a kick out of the DSG transmission, the radio won't suck when you're stuck in traffic, the clutch won't launch you into the car in front of you, and the occasional pothole won't knock teeth out of your head.

On the other hand, if you live in F&F:Tokyo Drift, then the Evo is the perfect car for you.

15. integraMAHxC

integraMAHxC New Member

i like evos great platform for power and handlin.. if i had the money id have one instead of the wrx i whip, which i love.. of course i know kids spendin 35k on evo's and @ that money i think id want sport luxury.. fuck wastin that much on what is ultimately an econo box.. but thats just my worthless .02...

16. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

seriously, don't listen to this tard. i bet he went to wyotech, lol

there's a reason why the fastest time-attack car is an evo, and its not because its a gti...

17. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

:ugh: AWD>FWD
    and this is coming from a FWD driver. the Evo is a good car, and you wont get speeding tickets unless you're speeding. The wing looks tasteful too. I like the GTI though because its a hatchback.

cliffs: Evo will easily outperform a GTI in every area.

18. k624ash

k624ash New Member

80 hp from a chip? i dont know about that

19. deusexaethera

I guess you don't know about VW engines then.

20. deusexaethera

AWD > FWD only when you're pushing the car to its limit, which you will almost never do on a public road, except maybe in snow, and the Evo's ride height and semislick tires rule out driving in snow anyway. The rest of the time, the AWD just weighs the car down, and the fixed 50/50 power split on the Evo is stupid. It should send power to the rear wheels only when you accelerate hard or go around a corner fast; the rest of the time it's useless to power the rear wheels. Fun, I suppose; good for bragging about, perhaps; but useless nonetheless.

Oh yeah, and any VW is more comfortable than the Evo. I noticed nobody's contesting that point, so I'll take it as a win.

21. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Evo's are great cars but I prefer Subaru. if you want one, definitely get one. don't get a vw

22. deusexaethera

See, here's a man who at least knows that he'll need his rice rocket to be useful for something someday. You don't like VW, fine, but the Evo is singularly useless for anything other than club racing and looking like you're trying to scrape together enough testosterone to finally grow a beard.

23. :werd:

The turbo lag is so bad, until you hit 5000RPM you'll get beat by a bus. If it was between the evo and a subaru, i'd take the subaru. At least that thing makes some torque. When you're just cruising around and you want to accelerate you can either floor the gas, and watch camrys still pass you, or you can downshift to second and take off like a rocket, until you hit redline a second later. The point is that if you want the car to be at all enjoyable on the street you have to drive around like you're on a track... never let the revs drop. Or you can constantly be downshifting. Another problem with the evo is that mitsubishi dealerships are getting harder and harder to find, they make shitty cars and people don't buy them, and their dealerships go out of business. Subarus don't have that problem.

24. Steef

Steef New Member

[​IMG]
    White Evo IX FTW. My daily driver BTW. NOTHING compares for the money!! :bowdown:

25. Compares how? Fuel economy? USEABLE torque? Ride comfort? Driveability? I could probably think of a few things that would compare. How much did you spend on that thing?