missing prefs and settings

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BlackWRX02, Dec 29, 2005.

1. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

Still getting used to OSX and macs in general.

I've got a 12" ibook (free ibook crew :bowdown: )
    It seems after shutting it down last that now I have lost all items on my desktop except the HD and all items I had moved into the dock, as well as all dock prefs. I can still open the files that were on my desktop if I go into a program to open them (fireworks will still open the PNG that was on my desktop) but when I view the desktop the only thing that shows is the HD. I have also lost my wallpaper and like I said, all prefs and settings.

I have tried restarting, logging out and back in, but it seems as though I'm logged in as someone else or something :noes:

The only thing I did when it was on last was edit the name of the icon that looks like a house under the mac HD/Finder from my first name last name to first name only. After that it was shut down and is not right now. I'm sure this is a totally dumb question :o :o

any ideas? :o

2. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

ok so that is def. my problem. How do I make it boot to what I renamed it to? I found it under "users" but cannot seem to get it back to how it was where it would boot to that user. Looked under system prefs but I didn't see anything. What have I overlooked?

3. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

in syst. prefs, go to Accounts. If you have more than one account, choose the one that is the admin of the computer and remember the password. If by changing the name it created a new user, delete the new user and retain the old one. This is an extremely odd mistake so hopefully it can be easily fixed.