GUN Missed out on another buy back

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Dec 22, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nassau gun buy program nets hundreds of weapons

BY JOSEPH MALLIA | [email protected]
    December 22, 2008

Hundreds of illegal handguns and sawed-off shotguns were turned in to Nassau County authorities this weekend in a cash-for-guns buyback program, officials said yesterday.

In addition to 424 handguns and shotguns, 83 BB and pellet guns were redeemed Saturday, District Attorney Kathleen Rice, Police Commissioner Lawrence Mulvey and County Executive Thomas Suozzi said last night.

"This was successful, far beyond our expectations," Rice said in the statement.

"There is no doubt in my mind that there was a future murder weapon in this group of illegal guns. That's a life saved and that's the goal of the police commissioner and my administration," Rice said.

Nassau "is already the safest county of its size in America, but efforts like this will make it even safer," Suozzi said. "These are many more guns recovered than we ever thought likely, and I'm going to recommend that we do this again soon."

The program let people anonymously turn in guns to four churches Saturday in exchange for $200 each for the handguns and shotguns, and $20 each for the BB guns and air pistols.

Suffolk has a similar program but it has no time limit. Residents there can take handguns to two precincts, where they also fetch $200 each, officials there said.

In Nassau, funding for the gun buyback came from money seized in criminal investigations. Police will test the guns to see if they have been used in crimes, but no one will be pursued for dropping them off.

The drop-off locations in Suffolk are the First Precinct, 555 Rte. 109, West Babylon, and the Third Precinct, 1630 Fifth Ave., Bay Shore.

Weapons from Nassau County residents were turned in at Grace Cathedral of God and Christ in Uniondale, Refuge Apostolic Church in Freeport, and Antioch Baptist Church and South Hempstead Baptist Church, both in Hempstead.

=================

FUUUUUUUUUCK if I knew about this I would of dumped my .25
    Wish this state allowed pistol c&r's to go direct to me I'd buy a couple cases of nagants for the next buy back.

2. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

great leap forward

3. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

WOW, $200 for pistols?

I think that's the most I've heard... I could absolutely make a killing off that program.

4. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

I am going to have my own gun buy back. I bet I could get some really good deals doing that.

5. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Great, it just encourages more guns to be stolen so they can turn them in. You know they arent checking serial numbers to return the guns to their rightful owners.

6. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

"Taking guns off of the street and putting them ... into my safe."

7. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Will they accept airsoft guns?

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

About time someone is taking action to get these dangerous weapons off our streets.

9. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

I don't get this. What's to stop people from buying as many hi points as they can find and then selling them here for profit?

10. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Absolutely nothing.

That's what makes this so awesome.

11. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

I need to have one of those that pay that high around here. Would get rid of my Raven and use the cash toward a Glock 27 :coold:

Not bad, turning in a $60 gun and getting $200