MMA Missed Opportunities in Life

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sammo, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

My mind tends to drift about training lately, it's hard not to think of the wasted time that could have been spent training. And I don't mean now, but earlier on.

For example, I didn't "discover" MMA until my third year of university. I ended up taking a once a week BJJ class (only thing available) but that's it. By the time I had reached fourth year, I had become more interested in MMA and learned the importance of developing a wrestling base in order to be successful. But by that time, I was in the last year of my engineering degree and didn't have time to ramp myself into shape and try to get on the wrestling team.

Now that I've graduated there is no wrestling team to join. So my only advice is that if you're in your freshman year of college or in high school...take wrestling while it's available. There is a school I plan on training at soon which has some wrestling elements, but I know I will not get the same base that I would have from collegiate wrestling.

2. Sammo

Sammo New Member

3. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

For me it sucked cause i feel in love with MT at a young age. Really wanted to start when i was in high school, never had money, started school and was broke forever, so i didnt ever really get to be financially stable enough to train till i was done with college. now i'm an old man and everything hurts.

4. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

Thats life, if i could do it over again i would have joined wrestling in high school, stayed in Karate when i was 7 and not punched fire safety windows in when i was 17.

5. roose

roose Guest

'Oh look, my wrist bones.'

6. Exiled

Exiled New Member

That's life

7. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

:fawk:

8. Sammo

Sammo New Member

:rofl:

9. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

I started MT in 1997.. But had to quit because no time to train :(

I wonder what I'd be like now if I just kept at it

10. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah I wish fairly often that I had wrestled in high school. I've said it before that if I could trade my kung fu for wrestling i'd probably do it.... though I still very much enjoy kicking people in the face.

I'm glad my brother's kid is growing up in the heartland where kids can start wrestling at age 6. he's gonna be a hoss if he sticks with it.

11. most likely fighting for 100 bucks a pop in Iowa Cattle Congress, weeping over your broken dreams and losting to travis fulton and dan severn.

12. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i wish i had jiu jitsu earlier but it was not in my city when i was growing up. i had to move to the los angeles to start.. that is unfortunate.

13. >DRIVEN<

>DRIVEN< Hi

I wish I would have been a lot more into mma back when I started watching the first UFC events on VHS. :hs:

14. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah while we're at it, I could have gotten into jiu jitsu back in the day, not only did I watch the old UFC's on VHS rented from the local non-chain place (while scoffing how that bjj stuff would never work against kung fu's ultimate power), but I got to train with a kung fu guy under the same master as my sifu who also had rank in BJJ... got to watch him school my sifu repeatedly and in just a few seconds.

and yet for some reason I wasn't convinced.

and going even further back when i was a kid of 7 or 8 I was getting ready to be enrolled in karate (really was obsessed with it too) but my dad was in a cropdusting crash and was paralyzed, causing my life to be flip turned upside down, moving and being semi-homeless for a while, living at the VA hospital, etc etc etc. needless to say I didn't get a chance to get back into martial arts until I was 15.

15. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I didn't start training until 10 years after I first watched a UFC. The whole going to the ground thing really annoyed me back then. :o

16. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

I just wish I hadn't been run over by an SUV causing me to take 2 yearts off from training when i was in the best shape of my life.

17. Optamix

Optamix New Member

You don't hear Nog bitching do you?

18. roose

roose Guest

Nog got right back up and triangled the truck. :bowdown:

19. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

STFU faggot geek.

20. Exiled

Exiled New Member

I wonder what my life would be like today if I hadn't watched Bloodsport that one night..