Misled during the interview process

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Frequency, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Anyone else finding they are grossly misled during interviews?
    Past 2 jobs I've taken have severely f-ed me over. :rl:

1st job I was hired as a dotNet Developer, in fact that is what my resume says I am looking for and it is the direction my resume is tailored. Well I land the job after a few red flags that should have alerted me to a problem and all is fine for week 1.
    Well week 2 rolls around and my team lead and I are called down to the boss's office she informs us I will be moved to an in-house project. :squint:
    The next day I am packed up and moved into my new home, a 6 year old project written in classic asp with a vb6.0 backend. The asp pages made the vb6 calls which then created xml and xsl files that were stored as resources files then returned them back to the user. It was a horrible horrible horrible horrible process. Changing any thing was a nightmare. Update text on a label? it required a change to no fewer than 3 files and a full code compile. but thats a whole other story.
    I complained to my multiple bosses saying nothing can be done this decision came from corprate. Finally one boss said the decision was made it was to be after my first interview but before my 2nd because of my dotNet skills. this was never mentioned to me during the interview process. I ended up leaving that job by month 6.

My current job - dynamic insurance forms. Much like you see from the auto insurance companies online, but for life insurance and annuties done online by an agent. Sounded great. Interviewed and was told a 3rd party tool was used very minimally for DB connectivity.
    My best guess is the guy that told me that think "very minimally" means we develop screens and code in a 3rd party application that is quite similar to vb6.0 but has the scripttin capabilities of a retarded VBScript with 0 debugging tools outside of MessageBoxes compiled into the code.
    I like the people I work with, I like the concept of the work but the technology used is a virtual black hole and slowly killing my resume because of how little dotNet work there is availble here.

I have many more stories about these 2 companies that i can share but thats awhole other thread. and I will get around to it eventually

Any one else come across this problem?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

New guys always get shit jobs. It's part of the deal.

3. Frequency

Frequency New Member

filling the role of our missing ogre of commenting and not reading?

1st job I was moved b/c of my dotNet skills - they wanted to convert the program but then decided against it
    2nd job everyone is working with this shit its not just a me thing

4. wayno

wayno New Member

Got some baggage, eh?

As an IT manager, I was thorough about what the job would entail when interviewing prospective developers, and held myself to it after hiring. My director wouldn’t have it any other way, and I always felt I was dealing with my new guys from a perspective of trust.

On the other hand, I was hired into a contracted proj mgt position in ’02, and was promised the world. After I arrived, my duties were considerably more limited than we discussed. After five months I was gone.

I’m considering a new position, and had an interview yesterday with my prospective bosses. There was plenty of grilling on my part about delineation of job responsibilities.

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

There are at least as many (if not more) shitty jobs out there, than there are shitty candidates in the industry. This is just unfortunately how it is. When I used to interview for jobs, I learned after a few years that when the manager asks if YOU have any questions for them, that you don't miss that opportunity to get as much information as possible. Ask about the things you've learned so far... what technologies are currently being used, how many legacy projects are there, software principal practices, normal work hours, what are the developer machines like, etc, etc. This is of course all in addition to the general employment questions like vacation, bene's, telecommuting, overtime, etc.

6. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

dynamic insurance forms? YES PLEASE! :rofl:

7. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Not C&P related but,

Got the job through a temp agency: My last job I was hired to clean an older building up (painting, patching walls, etc), or so I thought. I ended up corrosion coating aircraft control cables, running a cnc, carbon fiber disposal, making aircraft windows, etc... but no building clean up.

Got the job through the company itself: I was hired for a warehouse job, or so I was told. Showed up for the first day and found out that it was door-to-door vacuum sales. They wanted everyone to get in a van so they could drive us to some neighborhood to pillage. Needless to say I just told them to fuck off.

Point: Companies lie, companies change their minds, temp agencies don't know what the fuck is going on.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i'm usually pretty thorough with my questions now because i got kinda sorta lied to when taking a particular job. i was going from my first helpdesk position for a mail-order computer company to a corporate setting. i was told that once a month i'd be rotated out to do desktop support to help minimize burnout from being on the phone all the time. i was also told that the person with the highest ticket closed ratio got some sort of special treatment along with some other cool stuff. most of us there were contractors. when i start, after a month or so i ask about the desktop rotation and he tells me that doesn't apply to contractors and that everything he promised didn't apply to contractors, but only to those who get hired full time. i was pissed because i didn't want to take the job in the first place, but these things he promised sounded good.
    so, now when i interview i make sure they clarify exactly what they expect that i'll be doing and what they are telling me actually applies day one and what i only get after some random events in the future.

when i started interviewing people for my unix admin positions, i was always very clear what they were getting into. i was clear about how there was constantly conflicts in priority, that someone is expected to be able to work on 10 things at work and be able to keep them all progressing and that quite often we would work with idiots. anyone who isn't straight up with people coming in is an idiot. they have to stop for a second and realize that people who are lied to coming in the door aren't going to stay if they are smart.

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Pick smaller companies, you'll get better projects and less bullshit. Although yes, your first project is usually a shit one.