A&P Mirror Lock up?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Section8, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Section8

Section8 .

So the D300 has a dial mode for mirror lockup, but you can't use it with the timer, guess there's no easy way to take long exposure shots that are clear without a remote?

I thought my D70s could do it, but i can't get that damn thing to take a pic with the mirror locked up.

[​IMG]

2. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

the point of mirror lock up is to go beyond the preset time restraints

also to clean the sensor :o

3. Section8

Section8 .

I thought it was also to reduce shake during shutter release? I could swear I've read that somewhere. I've shot a lot of different exposure settings using the timer, and they all have a slight wobble on the stars that I can only attribute to the mirror movement on shutter release, they are too jagged to be normal earth rotation.

4. asdfbunk

are you using the countdown for the shutter release? or are you pushing the button?

5. Section8

Section8 .

That's the thing, the settings for Mirror lock up and timer are on the D300's selector dial so i can pick only 1. Doesn't make sense to me.

6. mikeskillz

mikeskillz New Member

mirror lockup is generally used with a remote shutter release. its so that you don't get "mirror slap" in your pictures if you're shooting with an extreme telephoto or under some delicate circumstances.

also if you're shooting a long exposure make sure you leave any image stabilizers off.

7. Section8

Section8 .

I thought i had VR off when using my 55-200, but maybe I didn't. That shot above was done with my 28-70 anyway which doesn't have VR, and i still got blur from the mirror slap. Guess I just need to invest in a remote if i want to do this stuff.

8. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

:rofl: Wrong & fail.

The first thing is what B (bulb) mode is for in your shutter speed settings, and the second is what cleaning mode is for in the settings menus.

Mirror lockup, as has already been said, is to minimize vibrations due to the movement of the mirror during some shooting circumstances.

9. asdfbunk

i think i realized that after mike posted :o

10. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

:werd: in order to use mirror lockup, you have to hit the shutter twice, once to lock the mirror out of the way, and a second time to open the shutter. Without a remote shutter release, you're still going to be adding a bit of camera shake when trying to hit the button a second time straight from the camera, rendering your efforts useless.