MMA Mir: "Brock Lesnar Will Never Beat Me", But No Such Guarantee for Nogueira or Fedor

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2008/12/10/frank-mir-brock-lesnar-will-never-beat-me-but-no-such-guarant/

Frank Mir: 'Brock Lesnar Will Never Beat Me' But No Such Guarantee for Nogueira or Fedor

Posted Dec 10th 2008 7:00AM

Frank Mir will fight Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for the UFC interim heavyweight title at the end of this month, and he expects that to be the toughest fight of his career.

"I'm watching all of Nogueira's old fights to get ready," Mir told me when we talked this week. "He's a great martial artist."

Mir said he's training as hard as he ever has for the Nogueira fight -- which will take place at UFC 92 on Dec. 27 in Las Vegas -- because he believes he needs to fight better than he ever has before. And he also said he thinks he's going to need to out-fight Nogueira for 25 minutes and convince the judges that he's won at least three out of five rounds, because Nogueira is simply too tough to be knocked out or submitted. All in all, Mir knows he has a very, very big challenge ahead of him.

But while Mir had nothing but praise for Nogueira, he has a different attitude toward the man he'll fight if he beats Nogueira, Brock Lesnar. Mir has already defeated Lesnar once, at UFC 81 in February, and he says he's certain that if they fight again, he'll win again.

"Brock Lesnar will never be able to beat me because he has no submission skills," Mir told me. "What's he going to do, knock me out? No one has never knocked me cold. What's he going to do, arm bar me? No way. He is powerful. He is big. But martial arts isn't filled with guys from the NFL. Lesnar had to grab the cage not to get taken down by Randy Couture, who's 220 pounds. Lesnar isn't the phenom that everyone makes him out to be. He started at 30. Have you ever seen a boxer start at 30 and become a world champion?"

I told Mir that most fans think he'd lose a rematch with Lesnar, based on the way Lesnar was pounding him early in their fight. Mir got a brief reprieve when the referee stood the fight up and warned Lesnar about hitting Mir in the back of the head, and shortly after that, Mir submitted Lesnar by catching him in a knee bar.

Mir said he understands why fans think that way, but that he believes he's so much more skilled than Lesnar that he'll be able to beat him even if Lesnar jumps on top of him and lands a series of punches.

"You see, he was completely kicking my ass," Mir said. "He was beating the s**t out of me. But I'm saying I'm going to figure out a way to win. Lesnar hit me so hard I was seeing flashes of light every time they landed. But at no point did quitting ever cross my mind."

Mir also said that, despite Lesnar's freakish athleticism, he thinks he'll have a significant conditioning advantage over the bigger man.

"The next time we fight, it's a five-round fight," Mir said. "Even if he beats the s**t out of me for the first two rounds, he won't last. He's so big, and the bigger you are, the harder it is on your heart. ... Brock can take me down. He's bigger, stronger and wrestled for 20 years. When he's fresh, if he wants to put me on my back, he'll put me on my back. But until then I'll be putting my shin upside his head, and when he does put me on my back, what's he going to do then?"

Looking back on his first fight with Lesnar, Mir said he thinks the UFC chose him to be Lesnar's first opponent in the Octagon because the UFC thought Lesnar would win. Mir said the UFC believed he would fight against Lesnar the same way he fought in 2006 in a loss to Marcio "Pe de Pano" Cruz, a fight that Mir described as "Frank Mir at his p***iest moment."

But Mir says he's advanced so far as a martial artist since then that he barely recognizes the version of himself who lost to Cruz.

"I watch that fight now and it completely haunts me," Mir said. "By training with Ken Hahn, who comes from that full-contact karate school where he's hitting me in the back of the head while I'm hitting the bag, I learned that pain is a temporary state."

Mir said it's that training that gives him a chance to beat Nogueira in two weeks, and that makes him certain he'll beat Lesnar if he gets the opportunity in 2009.

But there's one person Mir doesn't think he could beat: Fedor Emelianenko.

"Fedor's the best heavyweight in the world," Mir told me. "I hope one day I could fight him and do well, but right now he's better than I am. As a martial artist you have to be truthful about yourself so you can approach your training properly and get better. Fedor has great killer instinct, he's tough, he's strong. If I fought him I'd try to catch him in a submission, but I don't know if Fedor can be beaten. He's the best heavyweight."

However, in a sign of just how much respect Mir has for his next opponent, Mir said he believes that Nogueira could beat Fedor. Although Fedor twice beat Nogueira by unanimous decision, Mir says that if those two fought for long enough -- and without judges -- Nogueira would figure out a way to come out on top.

"If Nogueira and Fedor fought in a fight with no time limit, I would bet on Nogueira," Mir said.

Fortunately for Mir, there is a time limit when he fights Nogueira, and he thinks he can beat Nogueira in 25 minutes. And Lesnar in less than that.

2. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

lmao

if nog and fedor fought with no judges and no time limits ahhaha

Wierd seeing frank mir on the show and being a douche, then reading a article and him being somewhat humble

3. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

TV persona != Real persona.

I happen to like Frank Mir :o

4. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

Once again, I think he is a much harder opponent for lesnar than randy was just because of his bjj and size. That bring said, Brock beats him in a rematch that'll never happen.

I just want to see nog vs Brock and then see how the HW division turns out with the rest if them, who gets the next title shot and such.

5. JoeyGladstone

JoeyGladstone New Member

Even though I would give the edge to Mir, I think its very possible for Brock to take Mir down and get a ground n pound win.

6. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

I was a mir fan going into the show but he acted or was played like a total douche on the show.

7. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

:rofl: Maybe nobody has "knocked him cold", but after one round against Ian Freeman he couldn't stand up. He kept trying to get up and falling over.

And all three of his losses have been TKOs. What a faggot, saying he can't be knocked out.

8. ilduce

ilduce New Member

he must have forgotten how bad Vera beat him.

9. Joe_Cool

And he might beat Lesnar again if the ref rescues him again.

No, seriously, it's conceivable, but I don't think it's likely. I think Nogueira has a better chance of beating Lesnar than Mir does of doing it again.

10. THE LIOG

THE LIOG EVVVVVVVVEERRYYOONNNNNNNE EEEEE

at least mir agrees with me about lesnar molesting the shit outta that cage

11. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I agree with Mir mainly because I dont see him being lucky enough to be in a position to fight Lesnar again.

12. REDTAIL

REDTAIL New Member

Too bad we never got to see CroCop in great condition in UFC. I'd love for Mir to take a high left kick to the dome. Maybe that will change his record of never being K.O.'d

13. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

Mir fucking sucks

I have never seen someone's status improve in MMA over one win. Before Lesnar, most people said he was washed up and done.

Now he beats Lesnar (off a bullshit call) who was 1-0 and all of a sudden he can fight #2 HW ever in Nog.

14. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Bullshit call?

15. yesitisyellow

yesitisyellow New Member

1-hit to the back of the head.

16. ilduce

ilduce New Member

as much as I dislike Mir we have gone over this and even had the video with the sound turned up where he was warned and then hit him I believe 8 times in the back of the head which prompted the standup.

17. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

the same definitely couldn't be said for Lesnar. :ugh:

18. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

:rofl::bowdown:

19. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Uh i don't think a lot of you are being entirely fair, the guy came from the doctors telling him he might never walk again.

Having his wife say 'a failure as a husband and a bad example to your kids'

He was a nut job after the accident, he was a psychological mess and you would be too. The poor guy went from winning the HW belt, getting in an accident and then walk he was all the way up again from being mentally scared from an ordeal like that.

For you people who say psychology doesn't play a huge part in a fight, i am guessing you are the same people who don't train. Once Mir gets over the trauma and back into a good training regime he will be deadly again.

He beat lesnar fairly squarely, Lesnar knew the rules, he broke them so he has no one to blame but himself. And i don't think you remember the Mir was the former champ, but never got a chance to defend his title due to his accident.

20. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

:bowdown::bowdown:

21. THE LIOG

THE LIOG EVVVVVVVVEERRYYOONNNNNNNE EEEEE

:bowdown:

22. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

mir is one of those guys that got passed by in the game. At the time Mir was hot shit because he was bad ass for that level. Unfortunately the talent pool has consistently been getting better and better. The bar has been raised and mir hasnt brought anything new to the table.

23. Beepsandbuzzes

Beepsandbuzzes New Member

Agree completely. Mir is a total nobody in the scheme of the heavyweights. Because he's spent however a few months on a t.v. show, and because he gets to fight Nogueira for starring in said t.v. show, suddenly he's the talk of the town.

24. Joe_Cool

Now I really want Mir to beat Nogueira, so he can fight Lesnar again.

I want to see if his body can cash the check that his mouth is writing. (I haven't heard that since high school and just wanted to use it :mamoru:)

25. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

i think Mir is gonna win by some freakish mishap against Nog, i think Rashad will TKO forrest as well.