mips help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by notwist, Jan 27, 2007.

1. notwist

notwist Active Member

I'm trying to write a program that will have the user enter in an expression in the form: A (operation) B (operation) C and print out the result. After the user enters in the expression, I want to parse out each of the 3 integers and the 2 operations by reading the 2 digit ASCII code of each individual character and storing each digit or operation in its own register. I'm having trouble reading each seperate character after the user enters the expression.

li $v0, 8
    la $a0, expr
    li $a1, 20
    syscall

How do I store each character? Something like the code below? (I know the code below will not work.) Am i supposed to store the string in a new register before reading each seperate byte? :dunno:

sb 0(expr), $t0

Also, since i'm only working with numbers between 20 and 99, and the operations + and *, is it ok to reserve only 5 bytes for the entire expression since 1 byte can represent one ASCII character?

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

http://sandbox.mc.edu/~bennet/cs314/examples/echo_s.html strange i found a sight that sorta seems to do what your doing , im not familiar with mips tho.

In Borland builder i would use a character box and a integer box and then save them both to a notepad, so i could recall the values from the text.

3. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

Don't forget to leave room for the null terminator. You have the address of your buffer in $a0 already, so you can use lb (load byte) to read each character.

4. notwist

notwist Active Member

Hmm, I look into it once I sit down to work on it tomorrow. I was thinking, since 1 byte represents 1 ASCII char and 8 bits make up 1 byte.. I would have to load each char by an offset of 8?

5. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

It's byte addressable, not bit addressable.

6. notwist

notwist Active Member

Ok, so after the user inputs a string, it's saved in $a0.

Can i store a single char from that string into a seperate register? Something like:
    lb 2($a0), $s3

Btw, I'm not at my computer so I can't try that.