Minty's TOP 5 Games of 2009!

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Minty Fresh, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh New Member

What a great year for gaming! 2009 had so many stellar titles, and quite a few sleepers. After a lot of thought, and review...here’s my Top 5.

#5 - Batman: Arkham Asylum

[​IMG]

This was unexpected. The game looked promising, but comic book games generally fall flat on their face. Not Batman: AA though. Not only is this the best comic book based video game ever, it’s quite possibly the best licensed game to date as well...at least in recent times. Top notch voice acting too....they managed to snag Mark Hamill, Kevin Conroy, Arleen Sorkin, etc....the cast from the old Batman Animated Series. Gameplay was nailed perfectly...using Bat’s gadgets, stealth, intelligence, melee skills, there were so many ways to deal with enemies. You really FELT like Batman.

#4 - Forza Motorsport 3

[​IMG]

The best racing game of this generation. Hands down. Turn 10 took all of what was great about Forza 2, and gave it soul. Graphics are improved, physics imrpoved, and even the robust livery has greatly been improved. Controls are impeccable. Seriously, they improved and added so much. Not to mention that the multiplayer in this game not only smashes all other racing games, but rivals the best FPS’. Sure Gran Turismo 5 is coming, eventually....but it’s gonna be really hard to dethrone this king. MW2 almost got this spot for me, but looking at Forza 3....so much was improved, and so much was added, it deserved it.

#3 - Dragon Age: Origins

[​IMG]

2009, definitely was the year of classic RPGs. Bioware brought us Baldur’s Gate’s spiritual successor. Talk about a deep game. Not only can you create several different characters, but your story will be different depending on which race/class you choose. Couple that with quite a few big moral choices throughout the game, and you’ve got yourself a game that can take many different turns. And has quite a bit of replayability. One game will last you quite a bit. My first play through, doing a lot of the side quests, as well as the DLC...lasted almost 35 hours. A great plot, great character development, incredible world...it’s reminiscent of the classic RPGs of years ago. Add the DLC, and Bioware has an instant classic on their hands. It’s not perfect, but it doesn’t make it any less of a game.

#2 - Assassin’s Creed 2

[​IMG]

Wow! The last one, had potential...and definitely laid the ground work, but fell short on so many levels. So, it was quite a shocker to see Ubisoft do something, that I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone do before....they literally fixed everything. All that was wrong with the first one, gone...and not only did they fix the bad, but they changed, improved and added so much, that AC2 was a whole new game. The world is amazing! Even though it’s not 100% historically accurate, you FEEL like that’s how it really was back in the Italian Renaissance. A lot of attention to detail, a great story, great voice acting, fun combat and free running, and incredible graphics. AC2 is a must play, even if you weren’t a big fan of the first.

#1 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

[​IMG]

I really can’t say enough about Uncharted 2. This game does so much right, that I think it should be used as the bible when it comes to making action adventure games. It’s so damn close to perfect, that it’s not funny. There are a few minor complaints, but they’re pretty much squashed by how great everything else is. Story telling like this really isn’t seen anywhere else. There’s a few other games out there that may be close, but Uncharted 2 is king imo. It’s a roller coaster, a not stop ride....right from the very beginning, you’re thrust right into the action, and it doesn’t stop. Not only is the probably the best single player experience, ever...Naughty Dog through in a multiplayer mode. And get this, they didn’t half ass it. Sure, it’s not on the same level of MW2, but for a multiplayer (from a single player heavy game) to be this good, this robust, and this fun...is rare. Honestly...there were so many great games this year, but Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is so far ahead of the competition, that it’s an easy choice for GOTY for me.

Here’s a list of other games that were close to being in my Top 5:
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    Borderlands
    inFamous
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    Demon’s Souls

2. Chanandler Bong

Chanandler Bong OT Supporter

nice

still need to beat U1 so I can play U2

3. HotSauce0034

HotSauce0034 Cowboys Crew : Xbox Live GT & PSN GT = Levati

Have ever game you mentioned and love every game you mentioned. Good list also.

4. deviant

deviant rest your trigger on my finger

i pretty much agree, but would remove dragon age (didn't play it, don't like the genre that much), move the rest up one, and then i would put infamous/prototype/mw2 as a tie for 5th. if mw1 didn't exist, then i'd put mw2 in the 2 or 3 spot.

5. slowbird

slowbird I am the son, and the heir, of a shyness that is c OT Supporter

need to get dragon age and borderlands someday soon. :hs:

6. stkorn97

stkorn97 OT Supporter

i like numbers 1 and 2 atleast, beyond that i got some others id swap into the other spots :bigthumb:

7. dontbehatin45

dontbehatin45 New Member

i like this list

8. Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie New Member

Replace DA with Borderlands and switch Batman and Forza, and I would say it's about perfect.

9. OFI

OFI New Member

What do you like so much about the Forza 3 multiplayer? Many have not liked it as much as Forza 2 as there are no public custom lobbies.

Unchartered 2 looks pretty cool :hs:

Wait did you go to all the effort of making those images? :bowdown:

10. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

cant complain

11. sony

sony Active Member

i've only played one of those :hs:

12. OFI

OFI New Member

I have both Forza 3 and Assassins Creed II :wiggle:

ACII was a bit slow the first hour running errands and shit but now i've got my sword and fancy jacket :bowdown:

13. Der SchattenJager

Der SchattenJager Kupo, asshat.

I've only played the #1. Excellent game. Fucking epic.

14. Matt Hood

Matt Hood New Member

I need to start playing my back log and get off the MW2 MP.

15. Sangster

Sangster OT Supporter

Solid list. I need to get ACII

16. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

Way to go out on a limb with those choices bro :mamoru:

17. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

Waiting for AC2 PC to make judgment. Put in borderlands there and that's a pretty solid list for me too. Although I'd never rank a racing game in the top anything. Maybe put NHL10 there, since I'm a sucker and buy that garbage every year :greddy:

18. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

You should make it say Dragon age PC only because for 360 that game is absolute fucking crap

19. Yoritomo

Yoritomo dad's jar chimer

Yeah the PC version dragon age is one of the best games ever... the 360 version is crap in comparison but still worth a play if you don't have a pc that can play anything above plants vs zombies.

20. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

:werd: i can't even imagine playing it on the fucking consoles :rofl::rofl:

21. Los

Los Active Member

i disagree with forza but overall the list looks good.

22. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh New Member

The amount of customization. It's incredible. You can customize everything. Points, starting grid order, roll out delay, AI drivers, use driver assits or not, team games, car types/classes, drift, point-to-point, tag, etc. I could go on an on...but you really can set the game up, however you like. It's rare to see this must customization in ANY multiplayer. It allows you to pretty much come up with any type of racing game out there, like Cat & Mouse, or even sillier.

And yes, I did make the images. :o

23. assclown

assclown Active Member

:werd:

24. Los

Los Active Member

Why don't we just have a GP poll of best game of 2009 and such. :eek3:

25. Los

Los Active Member

Why don't we just have a GP poll of best game of 2009 and such. :eek3: