MIL Minimum Weight Requirements (Air Force)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by David, Nov 12, 2009.

1. David

David New Member

I'm 5'11", maybe 6' depending on how they round, but I've never really been able to gain weight easily. I'm 126 lbs, and the minimum is either 136 or 140 for my height. Do they really care about me being 10-14lbs underweight if I'm healthy?

2. SofaKingKong

SofaKingKong New Member

You might have to get a waiver. But I have heard that the Air Force no longer has a minimum weight requirement. But i have no source. If you ask a recruiter, ask more than one. Never settle on the word of just one recruiter.

I would post the link if I could. airforce dot com

3. Mr. Monopoly

Mr. Monopoly OT Supporter

My recruiter isn't bitching too badly, but MEPS tells me to eat a box of pizza every time I go.

4. David

David New Member

I talked to the recruiter on the phone for the first time today, and when I told him my height and weight, he said "oh wow", but didn't like say I'm not qualified or anything. Asked all the other questions like drugs, jail, etc too.

5. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I had a guy in my AF BMT class who was on a waiver. They couldn't touch him during chow, and he could eat as much as he wanted. He was physically able to keep up with us on everything we did so noone cared. Go for it if this is what you want to do.

6. BeatKonducta

BeatKonducta New Member

i'm a small dude (5'8 and 133 lbs), i was like 120lbs at time of enlistment. when i went to MEPs back in 03 they made me drink a shit fucking ton of water. got through.

7. BeatKonducta

BeatKonducta New Member

of course not. if you really want in and have no criminal record (this can be worked around too) he'll get you in. he won't let weight/height hold you back that much.

8. David

David New Member

I was just talking to one of the Live Chat recruiters on airforce.com and he said "Waivers are not generally considered if it's more than 2 lbs.". Not true?

9. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Go to a real recruiter. They will have a reason to get you in. Quotas...

10. David

David New Member

werd, i have an appt on wednesday with one.

11. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

They're called twinkies, go buy a few boxes a day and put on some weight

12. BeatKonducta

BeatKonducta New Member

not sure. there are always ways to work around things. they have quotas to make and they'll make sure that you pack on the pounds one way or another.

13. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

holy mother fuck, you are light

eat ice cream and chocolate all the time. then go work out every day and eat fried chicken and hamburgers. you'll be able to lift more and won't be emaciated.

14. Huh, interesting, I never heard about that, and I was 145 lbs and 6' 2", when I joined the Air Force in 1978. I am also like you at almost the next number of 6' 3".

That's a 3" difference, and your numbers are close to mine, and that's puzzling. They may have overlooked how skinny I was. They'll probably do the same for you, or at worst, have you join some program to gain weight. I can't imagine the AF trying to discharge you for that. ;)

I could easily be misleading you, so like Jyokker said, talk to a "real recruiter" and they have the incentive to get everything right for you.

15. David

David New Member

I actually went to MEPS last Thursday, they wrote that i was underweight, but somehow calculated my BMI as 18.9, with 17.5 being the minimum, so they let me through.

16. MouSe-05

MouSe-05 New Member

I'm also 5'11 maybe 6' depending on who's measuring. When I came into the Air Force I was 107 pounds. They let me in no problem. yes this was 4 years ago. No haven't put on much weight. I currently weigh 120-125. I haven't met a person get turned away for being to light from the AF. We like them skinny.