SRS minimal

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by northw3st, Feb 18, 2009.

1. northw3st

northw3st New Member

i have read a bunch of threads in this subforum, and I feel like there is one thing that is rarely mentioned that could help a bunch of people out.

as i grow older, i am becoming more and more of a minimalist. i used to have a thousand 'things' in my life. from clothes to silverware - i'm talking everything. from electronics to crap in your garage. i am even thinking about getting out of my cell phone contract and seeing what life is like without a cell phone.

keeping things simple makes life less aggravating. what i have found is that the more crap you have, the more worrying you do. the more sleep you lose, the more stress you endure.

i can't stress enough have good a life is with minimal things. for those who find their lives overwhelming, and have too many things to worry about, try getting rid of 70 percent of your crap. you'll free your mind.

2. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

:werd: it also saves you a ton of money every month. Avoid having a netflix, gamefly, premium cable (face it, most tv sucks), magazine subscriptions, overly fast internet, the "best" cell phone plan, etc...

It is absolutely amazing how much money a month you save!

3. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

I think you kind of need a cell phone in today's world, but you don't necessarily need to have the nicest one out there, just needs to call and text (which any 9.99 phone can do).

4. 7960

7960 New Member

best father's day gift I've gotten so far is a 30 yard dumpster in the driveway.

i filled it with random crap that had accumulated over the years. it was liberating to throw so much stuff away.

no you don't.

5. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

Tech you don't. But it is a a thing that can really make a difference in your life given the right situation. Car breaks down, use a cell phone.

6. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

I started early.

I find it odd hanging out with others from my peer group and being the only one who doesn't have to worry about spending money every time I need to fork over a few dollars for tip or to eat somewhere nice, because I don't spend hundreds of dollars a month in a brand new car payment that is way out of my league, or premium cable with 900 channels, or other dumb shit. I get annoyed sometimes too because out of all my friends I'm the only one without a steady income (I do web development as time allows, so my paychecks are random) and I'm conversely the only one who doesn't bitch about being broke.

I don't fill my apartment with meaningless shit either, like 10,000 pictures of the same people making the same retarded face, only at different locations, or whatever new toy just came out that everyone has to have. The only thing that takes up space is books :hs:

7. c.jawanda

c.jawanda New Member

Hey, im 100% for it if it makes you feel good and stress free. I was just reading my psychology text book that people who stress more show a 70 percent higher chance of suffering from illness. The book was referring to the small stresses of life, which have been found to accumulate and become more strainous then bigger ones. The best way to reduce the health risks is to find an effective coping mechanism; ineffective coping can cause harm.

8. eljefedetonto

eljefedetonto OT Supporter

I'm sort of the same way. Before I moved into this apartment, I used to live through off-book subleases and could pack my entire room into my car (even when I had a convertible) in, at most, a few hours. It was liberating, but then, so is living alone and not having to worry about moving every six months.