MiniDV Camcorder - Sony/Panasonic

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mongie, Mar 22, 2004.

1. mongie

mongie You know you love me. OT Supporter

I'm looking to buy a camcorder, at the moment, i've pretty much narrowed it down to the Sony Sony DCR-HC30 or DCR-HC40 or the Panasonic PV-GS50.

I'm just wondering if any of you have any knowledge of these models, and if you can provide some information, like, xxxxx has pisspoor low light performance... etc... etc...

kthxbi

2. johngalt1998

johngalt1998 Guest

I have the HC30 and have liked it so far. It's a little dark and/or grainy in low light situations, but it's really great in enough light. You'll learn to turn on all the lights in your living room when you are taping after dark, much better picture. There is a ever so slight 'hummm' you can hear in playback, but those DV's are so small, my research found that to be quite common in this size and price range for all DV's. All and all, so far so good.

3. newport

newport New Member

I am also in the market for either the HC30 or HC40. I talked to a guy at Circuit City (not my favorite place) and he said the big difference in the two is the video quality. He said that the HC40 has much better resolution as well as having better looking still digital pictures. I think I am going to purchase the HC40 soon, now just deciding on wether to get it online for like $100 cheaper or get it in the store.

4. Smahatma

Smahatma Bitch-Kumar OT Supporter

Obviously you don't know much about miniDV camcorders? Proprietary crap? The only "proprietary" part is the memory stick used for still pictures. Why you would be taking more than a few still pics with a DV cam is beyond me. Tapes -- standard miniDV. Lenses -- standard size.

Don't listen to him...

5. johnson

johnson New Member

Elaborate.

6. johnson

johnson New Member

Lenses are universal. Some brands/models may work better than others (vignetting, clarity/quality) but they all screw on using normal threads. Most common is probably 37mm.

7. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

I have a Sony TRV-33 and it is great, I have ripped using the firewire many times to my PC and made some really awesome videos, and also have compressed it and put it onto a DVD.

Let me tell you it is absolutly awesome how HQ some of these sony consumer products are.

I don't know about the models your looking at, but I am going to be selling my TRV-33, email me if your interested... I need to get money up to pay for my fall semister room/board :(

8. plat

plat New Member

just because sony calls firewire iLink doesn't mean its not firewire.

9. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You my friend are an arrogant idiot. Sony calls their firewire connector "iLINK" but its still FIREWIRE technology. I bet you paid sony's extravagant price for their "iLink cable" when you could have bought a 4 to 6 pin firewire cable (which is what iLink is) for $2.99 ( http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-999-012&depa=0 )

Same for USB. I'm assuming you would be referring to 4 pin usb cables (they look like this: http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=12-107-288-01.JPG ) Nothnig proprietary there....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. Brian

Brian New Member

my parents think sony stuff is real good so i hav like 5 really nice sony hd tvs in my house 2 sony vaio desktops 1 vaio notebook 2 sony handycam 1 sony minidv camera and a sony digtal camera and one thing i gotta say every 1 always says there shits the best but i dont think so with all my expernices we have had like every sony product i own fixed

but when they work they work great
    lol i hate that they call it iLINK first time i got my sony handy cam that had a firewire thing i was going crazy looking for the iLINK plugin on my vaio desktop lol

BUY THE SONY

11. Buy a sony PD-150...You cannot ask for a better camera...

:bowdown: PD-150