GUN Mini Red Dot Sights: What to use?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ChipOnShoulder, Aug 7, 2009.

1. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

I want to put a mini red dot onto my precision AR and so it will become jack of all trades.

I'd pretty much settled on the Daniel Defense 1 o'clock sight mount: it's $40, it's daniel defense, and it's in a perfect location: you don't have to break your cheek weld to use it!

The RDP-II offered by Tactical Night Vision Company is $139. HOWEVER, you google "RDP-II" and you see that's made in China/India or some shit for fucking fractions of pennies on the dollar. $139 is only a good deal when comparing to $500 fucking Trijicon mini red dots.

http://www.tacticalnightvision.com/red_dot_sights.htm

Any thoughts?

Maybe try to acquire a RDP-II for even cheaper? Maybe look for a better quality/valued product?

2. I've seen pics of T1's mounted at 1:00

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

The RMR dual illuminations are only $399 I think. Seems like a 7 or 9MOA would be good as a secondary mounted at 1:00

4. ChipOnShoulder

Ack!

T-1s are like 5X the price of the RDP-II, and Trijicon RMRs are thrice the price of the RDP-II as well.

:wtc:

Need a better job, but in this economy i'll just have to make do

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Any idea one battery life of the RDP-II? I looked through the PDF but found no answers.

6. ChipOnShoulder

Probably gonna have to call up Victor directly.

I'd guess it's just like any other airsoft sight and have a few hundred hours.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

I'm glad I'm not the first person to mention the T1 :o

8. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I'll throw in a +1 for the T1

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Yar's prolly seen/shot with most, as the small dots are fairly popular with open pistol guys, and I see some in 3-gun. I also know that AB had one at least for a bit, but has since switched to a CMore.

I run a FastFire on a Kadet, and have another that occasionally spends time on a 22. I bought them when Live was doing the crazy cashback thing, plus I had another Ebay coupon. Think I paid ~$100 a piece, and they were definitely worth that for me.

I was really wanting a CMore mini-dot, but the more pictures I see of it, the more I'm not interested. Just doesn't fit my needs like I thought it would. Doctor was more/less the original, and they are what most open guys I see with mini-dots run; they are kinda spendy too.

Might also check into JP's JPoint, which is another mini-dot heavily used by 3-gunners. It's fairly cheap.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well we got the Cmore sts sights in stock now (well at least the first 6). It's a home run, I mean it is the fucking furture. Only problem with them right now is that there are not any mounts for them other than the carbage mounts that cmore is making. (psst... we are making our own mounts and they are out for bid for material). OK enough of the STS.

Any of the mounts that you put on the scope are garbage. You don't have to believe me you can learn the hard way. A secondary dot sight optic is very popular for 3 gun and we have tried it all.

A side mounted optic on the handguard at 1:30 is the hot ticket. You rotate the gun into the dot sight, no break of cheek weld. It is very fast and honestly it just looks cool to be kind of gangsta stylee on the close range hoser stuff. The tactical class guys are doing it too with secondary iron sights. It fucking works and the big benifit is that the sights are in line with the bore so it is not difficult to sight in.

The alternative is a burkett mount that is closer to 1:00 off the rail. Lot of people run this because it is a shorter rotation into the dot. How much shorter (not fucking much). It is very compact though and clean looking. I guess that's the big plus. One thing I don't like about these mounts is that the optic is not in line with the bore. Thus it is a pain to zero. When you want the dot to more left you have to adjust both the elevation and the windage. Because it is not in line with the bore the adjustments go at a sight diagonal.

If you mount the dot up on the primary optic at say 12 or 1:00 it has it's usage but not really as a short range optic. In most cases you do have to break cheek weld or what I call going to a chin weld. Zeroing at 12:00 is the same but generally the elevation turret is in the way of the dot sight. At 1:00 it is not in line with the bore (see above). For short range shooting your way high over bore. What gets you in trouble is when you have to take a short range precision shot like at 3 yards. Your like 4" over bore and have to hold 4" over if you can remember this. For 3 gun what happens is that you shoot low on head shots at 3 yards or under. Really stupid way to drop points. What the 12:00 optic is good for is for spotting long range targets and then dropping down into you magnified scope. Say you have a bolt gun with a 25x optic, and your shooting plates out at 700. Well it is hard to find something like that in your optic. What you do is find it with your dot sight then drop your head into the scope and you should be in the general area. Refine your aim with the scope then call your shot.

As far as aimpoints you can run the bigger tube sights off the handguard though I think your better off with a cmore. The tube sights are just really big. Now if your a left hander shooting a right ejecting AR you can mount a tube sight at 10:30 just under your scope. It is inline with the bore and it looks kind of cool. One guy in our squad runs a aimpoint like this and it's pretty slick.

11. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Yar...... Tell me about the CMore (or make a new thread).

After seeing that one on BEnos, I thought it looked like gay shit. No one is saying much really, but the height of it looked fucked (as far as height of the base goes), and would be hard to melt in low enough to have a similar sight plane as irons. Got any measurements? Also looked pretty "blue", and there were some comments that the dot wasn't that great.

What's the price going to be?

12. ChipOnShoulder

Under $200 i'd prob buy it.

13. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

docter 4MOA.Around 400 bucks though

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Retail on the STS is between $300 -$340 which is pretty good for what your get. Glass lens, toggle switch off-regular power, extra power, calim 6 month run time on single battery.

The Jpoint is about the same price and has a lexan lens that can scratch, and is nowhere as beefy.

If you can find someone that has a doctor in stock they are $500+

The trijicon rmr is very good but $550.

OK back to the sts. The lens is a little blue but is not that bad. In a micro reflex it is not the same as a scope. On a scope a blue optic is sign of cheap optic. On a micro reflex it's a coating they put to reduce glare. The STS has a light coating which I now think is the way to go. Once I got past my blue bias I now see if the sun is behind you, there is less glare off the lens.

The height is taller than the doctor but i'd say once melted it'll place the dot at where a 300 height front sight would be. That's the height I typically run for competition anyway. The sight is also wider so there will be some overhang on pistols. I would say on a large frame 45 or 10mm glock it would be flush. Because of the meat on the glock I think it's the best platform for a low mount.

One thing we notice is the switch has some white paint on it that needs to be blacked out. At certain angles the dot reflect off it and gives a faint ghost dot. Once blacked out it dissapears.

Something soon we should have a few mounted on pistols. We are just too busy to free up the machines.

15. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

16. SoonDubu

SoonDubu The most honest moment in a man's life is the five OT Supporter

17. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Doctor and the RMR are comparable. The doctor is the current standard for mini red dots. The RMR is armored/built up as it is fucking trijicon and it's got way more battery life. The double hump design over the lens is brilliant in that if you drop the gun perfectly on the top of the lens it will not crack as the double hump potects the top edge of the lens. Pretty fucking smart. The RMR is probably the best thing out there but like the doctor it's way too expensive. Honesly the Cmore STS is the real winner with the extra features and better price point. Unless it's going on a real fighting gun and your going to do realy world solider shit you probably don't need anything as beefed up as the rmr

18. SoonDubu

SoonDubu The most honest moment in a man's life is the five OT Supporter

thank you :bowdown:

19. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Bump. Just saw the C-more STS, available in 3.5 and 7MOA. Yar, you know anything about this? Looks like a winner to me, especially at under $250.

[​IMG]

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

posted about it several times already in this thread. I got them is stock.

21. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:rofl: I hadn't checked it in a while and just posted this. I need to order some stuff from you guys, now I may have a bigger order

22. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I played with a friend's 3 gun AR at a 3guneque match we had a few months ago and he had irons on the forend and I must admit it was a pretty slick setup.