mini mac worthwhiledness

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nicotino16, Sep 28, 2007.

1. nicotino16

nicotino16 New Member

soo, i need a new computer, and i was originally looking at a macbook pro, then i met reality and started looking at the new imacs, and then i looked at my paychecks and began looking at mac minis, lol.

im trying to decide if buying this cheaper system would be worthwhile. right now i have a windows 2.0 ghz amd processor, 256 mb ram, and its about 4 1/2 years old. the applications i run, and the things i like to do are surf the internet, have itunes running, burn cd's, instant message, and download things......ALL at the same time. right now my computer locks up, or gets amazingly slow to do these things.

will a 1.83ghz, 1gb ram mac mini solve my woes? its a slower processor, but it has to be way more efficient then my 2.0 ghz 4 year old amd processor right? i know the ram will obviously help. i just dont want to get this and still run into the same problems. will i be ok?

2. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

my go every do everything has been a mini for a while. had a g4 when they first came out, now have a 1.83 core duo with 2gb. there are times that i want more, but i really use the computer a lot harder than internet and email.

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I use a dual-core mini as a testing machine. Works well. Runs Windoze find using Fusion (and Parallels although I've made the switch to VMWare). For general use it's fine. I run our forensic suite on it and it runs great. I have a dual 1.6GHz dual and it's got 1.25GB of RAM (1GB chip and 256MB which doesn't make a difference as it's not the newer Core2Duo with a 64-bit processor so pairing it doesn't help). Go for it.

4. dooks88

dooks88 need some bat wings

mini will work good for that.

5. nehmia

nehmia New Member

mac mini, check out refurbs also