GUN Mini guns

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by D-FENS, Jan 2, 2003.

1. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

does anyone know where i can get one and how much it costs? im talking about one in a normal assault rifle caliber, like .308, .223, 7.62, etc.

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

mini guns, as in minigun, as in GE minigun?

or mini guns, as in small guns, chambered in rifle calibers?

either way, with rifles with barrels under 16" in length, you'll need a tax stamp. same for automatic weapons.

if you're talking about the GE minigun, i don't know if there is one transferable left. if there is, plan on shelling out a couple hundred thousand. i believe that's what the last one sold for. then you've got the ammo, which goes like water in a desert. but then, i do believe that the GE minigun is chambered in, what, 20mm?

or is that the bell minigun that's 20mm?

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I think it's the bell, isnt it the minigun mounted on A-10 thunderbolts? It's 20 or 30mm, I'd look it up but I'm lazy :bigthumb:

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

A multibarrel cannon is generically called a Gatling gun. A "mini gun" in 7.62mm is the GE GAU-2. i assume this is the one you're looking for. The GE M61A1 Vulcan cannon is the 20mm, and GE GAU-8 Avenger (on the A-10) is the 30mm version. Bell makes some of the 20 and 30mm cannons, but they're usually three barrelled, whereas GE makes 6 barrel guns.

i've seen hand cranked gatling guns in as small as .22LR, but a manual antique/replica with black powder cartridges is probably your best bet. If there are any modern caliber electric guns out there, i'd guess they'd be selling for easily over $25,000.

Then you'd have the usual class 3, NFA tax stamp, make the local police chief shit a brick when you ask him to sign the papers, etc, etc.

5. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

id think theyd be much more than $25k, a full auto M-60 is $23k on one website ive seen. im the only person in my town who would buy a gun the cost of a luxury(sp) car.

6. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

miniguns and gatling guns are different, a gatling gun is hand cranked, and from what ive heard, is just a little faster than rapid firing a semi auto gun. a minigun has several barrels, usually 6, which are spun by a motor, and some miniguns shoot 100 rounds a second.

7. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i don't know about that M60 for 23K. that sounds a bit much. my friend is getting an M240 for somewhere around 16K, i think. his M16 cost 5600.

8. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Any modern multi-rotating barrel gun/cannon IS a Gatling gun. The electrically powered 7.62 Minigun is just one of many modern variants of the system perfected by Dr. Richard Gatling. In the early 1900's (1915?), the army had the idea of motorizing everything. One of his hand-cranked Model 1883 guns was attached to a motor drive and the rest is history.

The hand cranked models were usually good for about 500-600 rounds a minute. That's about the full auto cyclic rate of a modern day M4 or AK.

9. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Guest

I got to see a GE one shoot a few months ago. UN-FUCKING-REAL. I'll try to find a link to the video of it. It turned a K-car to shreds!! Nothing like 2000 rnds a min for 30 secs!! Hope it comes back this year!!

As far as getting one, forget it. I think there's only 3 or 4 in private hands nation wide.