mini GBIC to regular GBIC?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RotorBalls, Oct 17, 2007.

1. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

Need to know what adapter might be needed to hook up a srw2024 linksys switch to a cisco 2950 switch. Is this possible? The linksys uses mini gbic and the 2950 has a standard 850nm MMF adapter end. If I sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about it's because I don't. Thanks :)

2. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Might just need to swap the Mini GBIC on the Linksys if it's not MMF(multi mode fiber) for one that is MMF(multi mode fiber). Then just run the fiber cable between. Could also swap the GBIC out on the Cisco 2950 with one to match the type of connection the mini GBIC takes.

3. midcalbrew

midcalbrew OT Supporter

As long as both the gbic and the sfp (mini gbic) are the same type (SX vs LX etc) you just need the right fiber cable. Just get a SC to LC.

4. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

I don't know maybe all I need is what plugs into the miniGBIC ports. I think that's basically what I'm trying to figure out. It doesn't look like fiber will connect to the gbic (expansion) ports directly so I think I just need to figure out what will plug into them to allow the fiber to connect to it. :confused: So I think I just need to find out where I can buy a miniGBIC expansion module

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  5. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

Also, unfortunately the technical specifications I got for this thing don't specify if it supports multimode or not. Shitty ass linksys :mamoru:

6. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

Ok I think I found what I need:

The miniGBIC (gigabit interface converter) port is a connection point for a miniGBIC
    expansion module, so the Switch can be uplinked via fiber to another switch. The MiniGBIC
    port provides a link to a high-speed network segment or individual workstation at speeds
    of up to 1000Mbps.
    Use the Linksys MGBT1, MGBSX1, or MGBLH1 miniGBIC modules with the Switch. The
    MGBSX1 and the MGBLH1 require fiber cabling with LC connectors, while the MGBT1
    requires a Category 5e Ethernet cable with an RJ-45 connector.

7. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

I'm guessing the cisco switch uses LC type connectors? So I'm going to want to go with either the MGBSX1 or the MGBLH1

:x:

8. midcalbrew

midcalbrew OT Supporter

Which precise model of cisco 2950 do you have? I think most of those came with fixed SX ... in that case, you'd just need the SX module for the linksys and the appropriate cable.

9. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

It's a C2950G if that helps

10. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

Ok correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the above mentioned switch uses gbic based 1000base-x uplink ports and not the SX. So there for I would be ordering the MGBLH1 module for the linksys along with the appropriate cabling?

11. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

Just looked at the switch again it's a WS-C2950G-48-EI with a ws-g5484 module connecting to an SC fiber connector. Sorry thinking out loud to myself here since no one is reading :o

The WS-G5484 module for the cisco switch operates on 1000BaseSX so I do need the MGBSX1 module for the linksys?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  12. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

yes.
    I have the same cisco gbic in use in one of my switches. You will also need a cable which is SC on one end (for the cisco) and LC on the other, you can get adapter block things but they are junk.

13. midcalbrew

midcalbrew OT Supporter

Yeah tried to keep up with this thread but was out of town. mobbarley is correct.

14. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

ah ok so they do make cable with different ends? I went ahead and ordered the MGBSX1 module. I hope I only need the one.