A&P Mini dv crew

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Stereo lol, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Stereo lol

Stereo lol I don't know if I should say it

I'm finishing off a fine arts degree and looking to start concentrating on film making.

Is now a good/bad time to purchase a prosumer dv camera for indy film making and craft refining?

Everything seems to be moving to hdv and hdd so I'm guessing that regular mini-dv prosumer cams will soon become a thing of the past and no longer available (thus making the only manually operable pieces of equipment the far more expensive hdv cams)?

In au the main competitors from what i can tell are the sony vx2100, panasonic dvx100 and canon xm2 @ aprox $3500au each. The hdv cams are a few grand more

So what do you think? Buy one now? Buy one second hand later? wait for a cheaper hdv option? something else you can think of?

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Personally I would rent all my camera gear if I was producing indy films. This will allow you the option of getting exactly what is needed for the shoot.

I can understand the desire to own your own equipment but bear in mind that the camera is only a small part of the total equipment necessary to produce videos.

3. Stereo lol

Stereo lol I don't know if I should say it

Yeah, I know what you mean there. The reason I don't intend to pursue said option is because the only place in my area that rents equipment is very community orientated (a very tight community at that), you are also required to attend payed camera operation days before you can hire cameras.

This doesn't appeal to me because I'm still feeling my way out as a film maker/experimental artist and would like to have a fully functional camera available to me at all times. Professional lighting/audio and other associated equipment would be hired at the time of organized shooting but I would really like to be able to play visually 24/7, so thats why I'm thinking of the camera purchase.

I have considered picking up a much cheaper camera (like an HV20) to experiment with, but the prospect of fucking around with fidgety consumer complicated operation does not appeal.

4. screaminginside

screaminginside New Member

MY 2 CENTS

I have gone both routs before. I have rented and i have owned. I would say that if you are early in your education or experience level buy a camera like a DVX100. The DVX100 has done some amazing work in the pro world, it reproduces color really well, and the 24fps options are top notch. It is professional enough to give you the options to develop your talents but priced very reasonably. Buy it and shoot everything you can. As you become more experienced, and hopefully gather investors, then move into rental on higher end HD solutions. Prosumer HD is still a little sketchy and needs some time to hash itself out. Anyway this is just one dudes opinion

5. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

HDV is the trend, but for just getting started, there's nothing wrong with getting a less expensive (and really fucking good) Prosumer Mini-DV like a Canon GL2 or XL2 for >$2k. I have a much less expensive Panasonic GS250, for my little projects. It works well, but I definitely see the need for a better camera in the future. But, I'm just getting my feet wet and learning basic film making.