Mini-Displayport; the new standard, or ADC all over again????

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5SpeedSER, Dec 11, 2008.

1. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Well i thought id get you guy's take on this as i was debating on this today. With the introduction of the new macbooks recently apple unveiled the new Mini display port which is not being used anywhere else currently, and are no real adapters for older machines to make use of the new LCD that uses mini display port connection.

Do you guys think apple is setting a new standard like they did with firewire and usb as standard in the late 90s/early2000s. Or have they created a new proprietary connector like the failed ADC video connector?

My thought is they should have offered adapters for legacy machines right off the bat. Seems like it was the right choice over using HDMI due to bandwidth issues.

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

While Apple has released it as a standard that anyone can use, I don't see it catching on. Think it will eventually go the way of ADC sadly.

3. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

I'll stick with dvi, kthx

4. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

ADC was a great idea. No power cable for the monitor was awesome. But it caused so many computers with ADC capability to blow the power supply, and the power supplies to this day for those machines are worth the amount of the whole computer. I think it's going to be a proprietary plug. I think there should be HDMI monitor plugs so you don't have to think "What kind of cables and adapters do I need to plug this into my TV", it just works.

5. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

it's not Apple's own design...they are just adopting it for use in their current lineup. I do think they could have at least included the necessary adapters in the box for their new macbooks/pros, but that's Apple.

http://fireuser.com/blog/category/display_port/

6. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i wouldn't say that Apple was behind the USB standard and Firewire is far from standard on most PCs. in fact, i believe Apple was pushing Firewire as an alternative to USB, but due to cost it never really took off on PCs the way USB did.
    a big reason why i thought ADC sucked was that you couldn't get a second ADC card in a Mac. if you wanted dual screens, you had to use DVI anyway and then you needed an adapter to use a second Apple monitor. ADC was great in theory with the whole single cable deal, but sucked in reality.

based on those examples, i wouldn't be surprised if display port stayed a niche, Apple-centric thing. it is easy for Apple to just switch all of their technology to display port because they don't really seem to care about backwards compatibility. but, PC monitor makers would probably be hesitant to add display port in addition to DVI and VGA and video card makers will probably be hesitant because the monitor makers won't do it... so...

7. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

Manufacturers have already begun adopting it though...

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/.../cto_display_port?c=us&l=en&s=corp&redirect=1

8. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

9. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

ADC all over again.

10. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

are there any links to any actual systems being made that will use displayport? an article from dell saying that they plan on one day, maybe, possibly will start using some technology doesn't mean that it's is actually going to show up on any of their systems in the near future. it may end up being an also ran like FireWire. yeah, there are quite a number of PCs that come with the FireWire 400 ports, but in the Windows world you still generally see most equipment using USB except maybe video cameras.

11. ady

ady New Member

Dell have had it for almost a year. The 2408WFP and 3008WFP both have DisplayPort connections. Samsung and HP also have models that use it and there are Nvidia and ATI cards with outputs.

12. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Other manufacturers are using DisplayPort, but AFAIK, NOT mini display port. So adapters will be needed for almost all displays still.

Damn near all higher end monitors come with display port already and the same goes for videocards.

13. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

:werd:

14. cixelsyD

cixelsyD OT Supporter

Apple released the MDP spec without licensing fees, so expect mini displayport to full sized display port adapters "soon".

15. Mortixer

Mortixer New Member

i see little no companies adapting to the MDP. what will happen is monitor makers will go fuck you apple every has been happy with dvi for years and will continue to do so. If they were to make an adapter qtih advanced technology that gave you incentive to use it maybe companies might adapt. This is just a new way for apple to nickel and dime you over stupid adapters. adapters you know EVERYONE will buy. I love apple but this is either going to be complete fail like ADC or like firewire an alternative used alot and may be better but soooo few things accomidate the technology that it will just be a pain in the ass everytime you wanna use a monitor with it.

16. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

engrish, dude......oh and punctuation. :eek3:

17. Mortixer

Mortixer New Member

way to avoid my points. Mini display = fail and so do you

18. cixelsyD

cixelsyD OT Supporter

Well, I own an HP monitor that has a DisplayPort on it right now. Also, Dell sells a lot of laptops with DisplayPorts on them, so your first point is wrong. Mini Displayport to Displayport cables and adapters will be available soon.

Again, Apple released the specs and it has no licensing fees associated with it, so I'd expect firefold.com and monprice.com to have a 2 dollar adapter eventually. You don't have to pay Apple for their adapters.

How is it a pain in the ass? If you have a new MBP, buy a Mini DisplayPort to VGA or DVI adapter and run whatever you want. The only product that is a pain the ass is the new 24" LED monitor. Don't buy it if you don't like it.

19. Taldir

Taldir Ask me about GasWatch!

We have a very cheap adapter coming in about 3-4 months.