Mini disc Q's - Sony vs Sony

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris87, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

I'm thinking of purchasing a portable mini disc player...

Sony MZ - N1
    Sony MZ - E900
    Sony MZ - E909
    Sony MZ - R909

I've never owned one, so half the features i read on websites mean jack shit to me.

Could someone please tell me the main differences in layman's terms:big grin:

I'm mainly interested in something with long battery life, and is very very small b/c i'll mainly be using it for snowboarding in the winter time.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2002
  2. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

they're all small. Most Sonys are great on battery consumption as well. I owned the MZ505 Type R netmd unit cheapest of the lot.

www.minidisct.com its a great forum there with people who own all the models imaginable. ask them for feature differences.

3. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

Mr. Breaker is right that is a good forum to check out. Also check out minidisc.org they have a BBS board there also. As a first time buyer unless you are only going to buy only pre recorded minidiscs the E909 and the E900 will be pretty much useless to you as they are only players and not recorders.

The MZ-N1 is a Netmd recorder which means you can dl from your computer at up to 32X normal time.

The R909 is also a recorder but if you would like to record from your pc you might need some cables I'm not sure if they are included with the unit but they might be. The R909 can only record at real time meaning 4 minutes of music= 4 minutes of record time. I believe all units feature MDLP which means that you can sacrifice the sound quality to record more onto a disc. There is LP2 which means you can record twice as much and LP4 which means you can record 4 times as much.

Hope this was of some help.

I just bought the E909 last week and I like it so far. Thinner than 3 MDs and it can fit completely behind the a minidisc case.

4. Chris87

Excellent[/Mr.BurnsVoice]

That's exactly the sort of info i'm looking for. I didnt know the E900's don't record...I NEED that feature :o

So its now R909 vs N1. I'll check out those minidisc boards.

Thanks guys :bigthumb:

5. ocular

ocular Active Member

Sony is more concerned about battery then sound quality. I've owned both Aiwa and Sony Minidisc players and the Aiwas sound MUCH better, but then again, if you want longer battery life stick with the Sony. E900 is nice though :big grin: My friend has one but he sold it :( but that's because we all realized MDs sucked anyway, so we went back to CDs. We ALL had MD stuff for like a year, then we all ebayed them all, what a waste...

6. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

Get the N1.

7. Chris87

8. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

im pretty sure mine is the mzr-909. kicks major ass. cd quality doesnt compare

9. HappymaN-01

HappymaN-01 Member

You stupid? CD >>>> MD

10. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

CD = MD they're both digital. Assume you have a digital file to transfer to the MD, that is precisely what you get.

MD isnt' second classed!

11. 98R-1144

98R-1144 V8 4.2L AWD = All Weather Fun

yes, CD and MD's are digital. For digital data recording purposes, they are equal in everyway... but the MD have much lesser space. For audio purposes, the CD > MD. Why? Because the MD has to compress the audio to fit the same amount of audio minutes. I believe the specs were on minidisc.org, but an MD recording is compared to a 292kbps of an MP3, and the CD is compared to a 320kbps.

12. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

interesting I always thought that MD recordings were equal to CD.