MINI Cooper S

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by FstrungUCoutT, Jan 26, 2004.

1. I'm thinking about getting a MINI Cooper S. I'd like to know if anyone has one and what they think about it. Please don't respond to this post if you don't have one or if you only have the regular Cooper model. I'm interested in knowing how much interior space there is (I'm 6'1" and 185lbs), how the handling is, and how the acceleration is. I like getting a good jump off the line and i like cornering quickly.

2. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

:wavey:

I was just about to post pretty much the same thing. I've been looking in to them as well. In for response.

3. daft punk

daft punk New Member

you should have enough room (more than enough) in the front, and the back is bearable for your height (same as mine)

accel is great, feels faster than it is, and the handling is unbelievable. brakes are impossibly good too. get one.

4. modena

modena OT Supporter

they are hot cars...
    my cuz got 1 and he is quite tall and large..
    and he fits in like a glove with quite a few of space..

the handling is off the hsizzle for the S ... IF ur whilling to spend a few extra bucks u should get the WORKS mini cooper , or the Digitech 1
    check them out in the net...

5. wkndracr

wkndracr Guest

I've had my S since last November. The car is simply awesome! There actually is plenty of room inside. A friend of mine is about 6'5", and he says there's more room in my car than in his WRX. The car is quick, but it will bog off the line if you start at a low RPM. Once you get above 3K or so, it takes off very nicely. The car loves to do 85+ on the highway. I just recently had a 17% reduction pulley installed on the supercharger. Now anytime I romp on the gas in first gear, I get nothing but wheelspin. It was $280 installed and is good for about 20 hp (based on what I've seen from other people's dyno results).

The handling is amazing. You look at exit ramps in a whole new way. Even with the crappy all season runflats, The car will hang with anything through the twisties.

There isn't much backseat room, but I have had 4 people in the car plenty of times without too many complaints. With the rear seats folded down there is plenty of cargo room.

It's definitely a great car for the money. If you want more info, check http://www.northamericanmotoring.com

6. guru220

guru220 Everybody to the limit!

i am 6'1'' and 180 and i fit fine. dont want to have another person my sized in the back though. the speed is excellent and it is so much fun, the 6 speed gear box is the great too. there is lots that you can do to it also to get the power up quickly.

i have an indi blue 04 model with about 3500 miles on it now. it looks a lot like the one in wkndracr's avatar. white roof, stripes and wheels with blue body. good choice wkndracr, hehe. i have had mine since october only. yours could have come on the same ship as mine. mini's are so much fun and you get noticed by many. i have had some gasps and smiles while driving around. its a good feeling

let us know what specs you decide and if you do get it, welcome to the club.

7. I'd just like to thank all of you for convincing me that I really need to get this car. Unfortunately, it might be a little later than I had planned. I just got into a small accident and I'm paying for the other person's damages instead of going through the insurance. So that was a good fifteen hundred down the drain right there. But hopefully in the next couple of months, I'll be driving a coop around.

8. I am researching the MINI as well. S or not the interior is about the same. Lots, loads of room. I went and sat in one and was amazed at the room and the quality. I cant get the S, becauce some dope wont put the Automatic as an option. I am going for a test drive this weekend! I am so smitten, I starter the Long Island MINI Club http://www.marblesmahoney.com/MINI and I dont even have one!

Motor On... Marbles Mahoney

9. Yeah I can't drive stick but I'm gonna learn just to get the S. From what I've heard, the regular one is lacking in power. I like power. I like acceleration. So i'm gonna learn to drive stick and get the S.

10. slapey

slapey The only OG with a 2004 join date.

I got my S a week before Christmas and I can't stop driving it. It is the most fun I have ever had driving a car. The acceleration is great as are the brakes...and the cornering is the best I have ever witnessed. I do not regret buying this car one bit.

Hey Wkndracr, where did you get the 17 done for 280? Helix?

11. DK

DK New Member

testdrive the cooper. theyre fuckin great. mate of mine has his one chipped to about 170 - 180 hp. that is one little rocket. corners like a go-kart and accelerates like 300 hp saloon.

12. wkndracr

wkndracr Guest

You got it. I was in Philly for New Years and decided it was the perfect time to get it done. I autocrossed it all last season in Stock class and did really well, but no more stock for me, heh heh! I would have to sink a lot more money into it to be competetive in the new class I would be in, but it's well worth the daily driving experience. So instead I picked up a beater Sentra SE-R for $900 for auto-x duties.

13. slapey

Nice. I have friends down in Philly and go there a lot. I was thinking about having the 17% done sometime in the next few months. It is in North Philly, right?

And where do you autocross? Camden?

14. wkndracr

wkndracr Guest

Helix is in South Philly. I got there from the Girard ave exit off I95. Its a small shop, but the guy there, Eric, knows his stuff. I live in NY, so I autocross mainly at Nassau Coliseum and at Englishtown.

15. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

The only downside I've really heard about the mini coopers is they are not very comfortable for longer drives.

16. Well here's an update. I test drove the Cooper S this past saturday. Its such a fun car. I really liked the interior. I love the toggle switches on the center consol for the windows, etc. So I decided last night that I'm going to order it this weekend. The clutch is really smooth and easy too. I'm just mad that there is like a 2 month waiting period til it will actually come in. But I guess i'll just have to wait.

One more question before I'm completely sure of this purchase. I'm still stuck between the Cooper S and a V6, 2-door Honda Accord. What do you all think? I'm leaning more towards the Cooper. I'm 23, single and practicality isn't really a necessity at this point in my life. If it was, then i'd definitly be getting the Accord. I dunno. I'm like 90% sure about getting the Cooper though.

17. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

The Cooper has practicality going for it...hatchback, lots of room if you put the rear seats down, and room enough for you and your buds to go downtown.

18. wkndracr

wkndracr Guest

Yeah, with the hatch, you have plenty of cargo room. I fit 4 tires, a jack and some other misc stuff in there for autocrossing. If you like to drive, definitely go for the Mini. More fun than any Accord, and the resale right now is as good as any Honda as well.

19. I meant practicality as far as fitting more than 3 people in it. I'm over 6' tall, so with the drivers seat pushed all the way back, it doesn't leave much room for anyone to sit behind the driver. but i don't really care. I hardly ever have more than one other person in my car anyway. And if someone else wants to get in, they can kneel in the back. I'm getting this car for myself. If i was married and had a couple of kids, i wouldn't be getting this car. but i'm not, so i'm thinking purely for myself at this point. I'm just gonna be so anxious for the damn thing to finally come in. 2 month waiting period right now means i'm going to be going crazy for 2 months. Anyways. Thanks to everyone for giving me some input about it.

Peelout

20. guru220

guru220 Everybody to the limit!

i fit 5 people in mine for a short trip. it is physically possible!!!

21. slapey

So what is the combo/options you are ordering? Yeah, the wait sucks. I had to wait 2 1/2 months, checking the status daily. But, it was well worth the wait. By far the most fun I have had driving a car yet.

22. This is off the top of my head since my work blocked the MINI site.

Color : British Racing Green w/ Black roof and side mirrors
    Options : Sport Package (17"wheels, Dynamic Stability Control, Xenon headlamps)
    The regular 2-spoke steering wheel with the cruise control & radio control on it.
    Enhanced Hardman Kardon soundsystem.
    Still debating on the 6-CD changer. I like it but i don't like that its not in-dash.
    Not sure if I want the sunroof or not.

And that's really about it. No rear spoiler or anything. Might get the onboard computer if I don't get the CD changer. I'm trying to get the basic stuff that I really want and not go crazy with the options. I'm less than a year out of college and I'm not making a ton of cash so I'd like the payments not to kill me.

23. Ok well its official. I ordered the car on saturday. This is what I got. Remember, I would have loved to done more but I'm on a budget here.

Color: BRG with black roof and side mirrors
    Sports Package with 17" all-season run flats, DSC, Xenon headlamps
    Interior: Panther Black leatherette with Anthracite interior surfaces
    Harman Kardon 8-speaker soundsystem
    Onboard Computer (not navigation system)

That's about it though. The dealership said it should take no more than 6 weeks but they said it would probably be more like 4 weeks. So now the waiting starts. I just want to drive it again. Now I have to start my quest for insurance.

IF ANYONE IS FROM NJ, I'M TRYING TO FIND A GOOD LOW-PRICED INSURANCE COMPANY!! HELP! so far i haven't gotten a quote for less than $3,000 a year. I hate this friggin state.

24. wkndracr

wkndracr Guest

Nice spec. Good call on the anthracite. After seeing it in person, I really wish I had gotten that instead of the alloy patina. I can't help you with insurance, being from NY, but NJ definitely robs you in that respect. A friend of mine was going to move to jersey until he got an insurance quote for $6k for his S4. (ouch!)

25. slapey

The specs sound great. I was torn between getting the BRG or the DS. I ended up with the DS, but I still love the BRG. I also went with the anthracite interior. I love and and have no regrets. It goes with the color of my car so well too.

I am from NJ as well, but I don't know much about the insurance. I just went with the company I was using for my past cars, but it is for people/families who are/were in the military. They have great rates. I am paying $2100 with 2 points on my license. But, I am also 29 and have a great record besides the 2 points on there now. How old are you?

On another note: I went ahead and made my way down to Helix last Thursday and had the 19% reduction done. All I can say is that the car feels like a totally new, now unleashed beast. I am just waiting for Helix to get the intake done and that will compliment the pulley nicely. :bigthumb: