A&P Milky Way in colour

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ASIGN_Baz, Jun 16, 2009.

1. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz New Member

This one was fun to do.

Ten images on the static tripod, 35 seconds each. Four x darks subtracted.

Canon 400D
    EFS 18-55mm lens
    ISO1600

I turned up the saturation a touch as I was going for something dramatic.

I hope you like it.

Baz.

[​IMG]

2. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I like the color and love teh image as a whole. I just am finding it difficult to recognizing the milky way that I am used to seeing. I wish I could look up and see so many stars

3. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

what causes the variation in color? ie difference b/t the brown and white areas?

4. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

do you have a write-up on the software/process you use to do the stacking and the subtracting? if you took this with a kit lens, then i'd really like to see what i can do because i love these astrophotos.

5. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz New Member

The light areas of the milky way are made almost entirely of stars. Stars so numerous, they form a misty cloud of light, rather like tiny particles of water, gathered together in enough quantity, form a cloud.

The central bulge there is the centre of our milky way, as seen from edge on by us as we are around 2/3rds of the way out of it. If we were above it looking down, it would look like one of those classic spiral-arm galaxies you often see in deep space photographs.

The dirty orange, brown and black bits in between are actually vast clouds of dust, gas and other stellar material, that blocks out the light of the stars behind them.

We live in a very densely populated galaxy, with many billions of stars smaller, same and much larger than our own sun. It is really quite dirty too, as you can now see.

Baz.

6. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I know right I was looking also thinking this is being done with a kit lens and rebel camera at an obnoxiously high ISO for a rebel. Then i realized that the camera is proly mounted to a $10K tracking telescope and so he does not need anything better than a kit lens

7. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz New Member

Nope, it was just sitting on a tripod by itself on bulb setting for 35 seconds. I took ten shots and stacked them in a freeware program called Deep Sky Stacker. A bit of a play with curves and such, subtract a few darks and it's done.

If I wanted to go really deep, I would go for a lot more subs, or put it on top of a tracking mount and go for longer exposures.

Flats and offsets also help a lot. The more you put into these shots, the better they look, but they are a lot of effort to get it right.

Personally, I would like to do this again and see if I can improve. I know I can.

Have a look at these to see a bit more of how this sort of stuff is done.

http://www.asignobservatory.com/astrophotography_guide.aspx

http://www.asignobservatory.com/optical_trains.aspx

http://www.asignobservatory.com/widefield_and_time-lapse.aspx

8. tetsuo

can you give us any more of the camera settings you used? what focal length and aperture you were at?

9. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz New Member

Here you go mate.

[​IMG]

10. tetsuo

:cool: thanks

11. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I'm glad someone is having clear skies:-( Won't stop with the nightly T-storms in Ohio. I'm slowly working on getting my observatory built (I hate construction work.) I have the concrete pier in place and some of the posts up for the building. When on vacation last week so now I gotta get back to it.

12. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

wait...you were able to capture this with a simple 18mm lens standing on the ground? No telescope/etc. used?

I definitely don't get anything remotely close to that when I shoot into the sky

13. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz New Member

Darn straight!

14. tetsuo

Then you need to get a lot further away from the city lights. I can see skies like that if I head out to my parent's farm :cool:

15. The Great Deceiver

The Great Deceiver 21st Century Schizoid Man

Why is the ISO pretty high? I know it will take more time and effort to have longer exposures and maybe more images, but you'd get a lot less noise

16. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz New Member

Next time I plan to try ISO400 and see how I go. The problem with not having a tracking mount out bush, is that the stars trail and turn oblong with longer exposures. Even at 35 seconds you can zoom in on a star and see how eggy it is.

You are right though. It is pretty noisy at ISO 1600. I really would like a wider lens with a shorter focal length. I will keep you posted next time I go out.

Baz.

17. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

Amazing photo. Great job!

18. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

With the processes used in astrophotography after 40 or more frames even ISO 1600 starts looking pretty clean. When doing less than 20 frames it probably wouldn't hurt to use a lower ISO and increase the shutter time, but as you increase shutter time you also start to lose image quality in other ways such as alignment drift and field rotation.

19. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz New Member

Last night I was out until 4am in the observatory with my CCD camera on the telescope. It was minus 3 degrees C, which is fantastic for imaging (keeps the noise down)

Because my exposures are tracked precicely on the telescope mount, I am shooting exposures of 12 minutes and stacking them.

I went for 22 exposures, then when it got light, put the lens cap on the scope and left the camera to take 12 minute darks for the rest of the day while I am at work.

When I get home tonight I will wait for low light sky and take some flats, then flat darks as well.

If it is clear tonight, i will continue to shoot the same object again when it rises above the horizon. I like to get at least 5 hours total combined exposure in my deep space objects (DSO's)

If it stays clear for the rest of the week, I will keep doing this until I am happy I have enought for a killer stack!

I can't wait to process it all and see the result. I have been waiting for the moon and/or clouds to piss off for weeks!

20. tetsuo

:eek3: