Milkdrop background

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by machine, Mar 3, 2010.

1. machine

machine Welcome to the Machine OT Supporter

I've recently discovered that you can use Winamp visualizations in overlay mode to have the visualization as your desktop background.

So far, I've only figured out how to do this as a fullscreen thing.

What I want is to have the visualization constrained to this triangle.

[​IMG]

But how!? There's gotta be a way.

Edit: For greater clarity, I want to integrate the winamp visualization into a regular wallpaper..if possible.

2. kimsland

kimsland New Member

Enable Fullscreen visualization
    Press printscreen [PrtSc] key on the keyboard
    Open Paint > edit > paste
    save file as BMP
    Apply as wallpaper

Is that what you wanted?

More Visualizations here: http://www.winamp.com/visualizations

3. machine

No, I don't think that's it.

What I want is for the visualization to play inside the triangle on my desktop.

Maybe a simpler variation would be to keep the square shape of the visualization,and to place it inside the frame of something like this:

[​IMG]

So that the television set is my wallpaper, but it's playing the Winamp visualization. Can it be done?

4. kimsland

kimsland New Member

Hey that's my old TV :rolleyes:

Anyway, no the TV frame (using the example above) would need to be a part of the animated gif itself (the animated gif, not ActiveX) would be the entire wallpaper picture.

Also note that moving (animated) wallpapers like this, will slow your computer down considerably, as the wallpaper is drawn every time it moves, or when you minimize an application to view it.

5. Workin4Jesus

Workin4Jesus New Member

It's not an animated GIF, it is rendered in D3D in overlay mode to the desktop.

It may not be milkdrop that I'm thinking of, but some winamp visualization did this by overwriting only pixels of a certain color. Right in the options you would select the color that it would overwrite, then you would set your desktop background to that color.

IF that is how it works with this as well you could use a specific color, like one-off from black, (1,1,1) for example, and paint the area of the wallpaper that you want the visualization to show up in with that color.

Also, this won't really stress anything but the oldest computer. If you have a dedicated video card made within the last 5 years it should handle all or most of the processing and your CPU should see almost no usage and you will see almost no slowdown during normal use. Of course, I would disable it before you play any games on your PC.

6. Graham

Graham OT Supporter

I'm not sure if i'm following this right, but if you're talking about having an active gif inside the winamp player, you can usually set whatever you want in there.

7. kimsland

kimsland New Member

Look I know what you mean, but I got onto the MS Paint idea, which is confirmed that is not what you want.

I have seen something like this before, I had a screensaver once that allowed you to have the screen saver as a desktop background, but not everywhere you could adjust it in its settings. I removed it a long time ago (as it was just a gimmick type of thing) but it did work (only to those pictures and settings in the screen saver)

Plus, you can get animated buttons and put them on your Desktop, similar to how manufacturers have there (clickable) logo on the Desktop wallpaper.
    So the point is it can be done.

Its out of my area though so, I'll wait for other replies (suspecting there may be a program out there that does this)
    I hope I'm not way off this time with what I said. Obviously hard to explain for all of us.

8. Workin4Jesus

Workin4Jesus New Member

No, that is not what he is talking about.

Winamp supports different third party spectrograph visualizations, Milkdrop is one of these. Winamps own AVS (Advanced Visualization Studio) comes with the program. These visualizations can be displayed inside the frame where the standard spectrograph is normally displayed, they can be broken out of the main winamp window as their own resizable window, or they can be run in fullscreen or desktop overlay mode.

The guy who made this post was talking about the latter, in which the visualization is rendered to your desktop, in place of your wallpaper, by the program. It is not an animated GIF, it is not a video, it is an image rendered in real time by either DirectX or OpenGL that reacts to the music being played.

From my experience you have to set a color that the visualization will replace. So say you set it to black, you would then set your desktop background to solid black and it would overwrite the entire thing. If you set it to black on the left half and white on the right half the visualization would only be rendered to the left half of the screen.

My suggestion was to use a rarely used color, like [1,1,1] (as an RGB value) and paint the area of the wallpaper image that he wants to display the visualization with that color. It is basically like transparency keying, you would paint the area of the wallpaper that you want transparent and think of it like the visualization being rendered beneath the wallpaper, showing through any parts that you paint with the transparent color.

Milkdrop may not work this way though, but I am pretty sure AVS does.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  9. machine

We're on the right track here.

I think that your solution SHOULD work. However, I can't seem to get the overlay mode to work. I followed the steps found on this website:

http://www.alteraeon.com/~heart/overlay/

but when I click 'enable' and 'Set desktop to color', all that happens is my desktop background becomes a solid color. It doesn't display the visualization, although my wallpaper is replaced by the color i choose.

Note: I'm running Windows 7, using Winamp 5.572 and have a GeForce GTX 260. Maybe one of these doesn't support the overlay mode?