Milk thistle study.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Jam_Master_J, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

Nigga, what?

Milk thistle for the treatment of liver disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.

Jacobs BP, Dennehy C, Ramirez G, Sapp J, Lawrence VA.

Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA. [email protected]

PURPOSE: Milk thistle, an herbal compound, is the dietary supplement taken most frequently by patients with chronic liver disease. We performed a systematic review of the literature to determine the efficacy and safety of this herb for the treatment of liver disease. METHODS: We searched English and non-English reports through July 1999 using thirteen databases and reference lists, and contacting manufacturers and technical experts. Reviewers independently screened all reports to identify randomized placebo-controlled trials that evaluated milk thistle for the treatment of liver disease. Outcomes of primary interest included mortality, histological findings on liver biopsy specimens, serum aminotransferase and albumin levels, and prothrombin times. RESULTS: Fourteen trials met inclusion criteria. Four trials reported outcomes for mortality among 433 participants. The overall summary odds ratio for mortality in the milk thistle group compared with placebo was 0.8 (95% confidence interval [CI]: 0.5 to 1.5; P = 0.6). Three trials assessed histology on liver biopsy; study quality was inversely associated with the likelihood of histological benefit for milk thistle compared with placebo. There were no differences in serum alanine aminotransferase, aspartate aminotransferase, or albumin levels, or prothrombin times, among participants assigned to milk thistle compared with those assigned to placebo. The only statistically significant difference was a greater reduction in alanine aminotransferase levels among patients with chronic liver disease assigned to milk thistle (-9 IU/L, 95% CI: -18 to -1 IU/L; P = 0.05), but this reduction was of negligible clinical importance and no longer statistically significant after limiting analyses to studies of longer duration or of higher quality. The frequency of adverse effects was low and, in clinical trials, indistinguishable from placebo. CONCLUSION: Treatment with milk thistle appears to be safe and well tolerated. We found no reduction in mortality, in improvements in histology at liver biopsy, or in biochemical markers of liver function among patients with chronic liver disease. Data are too limited to exclude a substantial benefit or harm of milk thistle on mortality, and also to support recommending this herbal compound for the treatment of liver disease.

cliffs: Milk thistle had little to no affect on liver function in patients w/ liver disease.

I've also read it can inhibit protein sythesis.

2. Moolex

Moolex New Member

Did they test it with people on steroids?

3. Danny

Danny New Member

I know one of the top Hepatologists from the University of Miami's Liver transplant division, Dr. Miguel Rodriguez and he says milk thistle is useless.Of course he deals with patients with liver diseases only.I can't state or claim anything about milk thistle on patients with no liver diseases though.

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I'd be pretty shocked at that until I read the liver disease thing.

I'm interested to see it in normal people

5. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

any study on effects of milk thistle on alcoholics?

6. :werd: definitely an interesting article

7. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

:rofl: at name change ^^

thats one of my favorite lines

8. :bigthumb:

Glad ya like it

9. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

guys heres were my real world knowledge gripe comes into play, i have personally got blood work on a cycles with no pro liver or milk thistle and then blood work with...my liver enzymes were always were always elevated and sometimes doubled off it, on it i was always within range or high by only 3-4 points. I will take my own word

10. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

yeah... thats what I've always read and heard from training partners. Its gotta have some correlation to the preexisting liver disease

11. Danny

Danny New Member

That makes sense since someone with liver disease wouldn't have an increase in albumin levels or such taking something like milk thistle.Infact if you suffer from a liver disease such as NASH(non alcoholic stateohepatitis) and your albumin was low the only treatment is to IV it into the body.

12. PurEvl

ya somehow i dont think i would be taking milk thistle with my liver disease, i would like to think there is something a bit more fitting :rofl:

13. I've always stuck by Milk thistle and other liver protection supplements, but never really questioned their validity. Out of curiosity, what kind of doseage were you using, and do you have the results of any of the tests for comparison's sake?

14. PurEvl

back when i used about 1250 test...800eq and 75mg dbol for 10-12 weeks at a time. Milk thistle was always double what the bottle said

15. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

Good ta know. The only panel I had done was with no liver support, my high was 193, 80 being normal if I remember correctly. The booze'n and whore'n will kill me before the liver enzymes will anyways.

16. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

if i were juicing i'd be more concerned about cholesterol than liver enzymes anyway

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.