MIL Military town stigma - it exists

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fintheman, Dec 20, 2005.

1. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

I was wondering if you guys have had a stigma related to being at a certain base.

I know that at Offutt AFB (Omaha, NE) we didn't seem to be much of a bother to the town, even though there were plenty of girls that were like "Oh, your in the military, bye"

Here in Nashville, TN, the army (Ft Campbell) has developed a VERY negative stigma, to the point of not letting soliders into the clubs and other areas. The common view is that they are usually very rude and disorderly when they are out in public and seem to pick alot of fights. The stigma related to army wives is also in full force, I can back this up as I've been to a few clubs/bars out in Clarksville, the wives are out in full force. Chances are, if you ran into a semi-cute looking chick, her hubby was deployed with the 101st.

Do you guys ever "forget" to mention you are military when you first talk to someone. I have before, and its funny to see the reactions when they said "Oh, confused look, etc.," some girls just seem to geniunely want to stay away from guys that are military, no amtter what service.

Thoughts? Comments?

2. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

every base i've been to (all 3 of them :mamoru: ) is that way. the only town i've been in where being in the military didn't carry a stigma was San Antonio.

in pensacola it was horrible. every girl there has either dated or married military. it gets you nowhere to try to play that card.

we used to make up fake names and jobs just for that purpose. i was a contract electrician named Mike Slidell. worked much better than i ever would have though.

3. SweetDaddyO

the worst is that the girls just write you off because most have been mis-treated by military guys at some point in their lives. you couldn't swing a dead cat in pensacola without hitting a girl who was knocked up by some Marine PFC when she was 18 and divorced by 19 or 20.

it was possible to play it off correctly though. i don't have a high-and-tight (hair is within regs, but doesn't look like typical "military"), i don't wear the usual t-shirt tucked into the jeans combo when i go out, and i don't talk shop when i'm at the bar. we also found out where the local college folks hung out and frequented those establishments.

towards the end of my time there though i also started dating military women. there's something about them that is attractive, though i can't quite put my finger on it. my last g/f wasn't the best looking girl (she wasn't ugly either, just not a trophy), but she understood my life i think just because she was in the service too. she also outranked me, which was hot :o before i started seeing her i never would have thought i would be attracted to someone like that, but hey, it happens.

4. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

I've been a military brat all my life, now active duty, and the stigma exist at everybase I have ever been to. You cant really blame either party civilian or military. Just have to live with it.

I used to hate military when I was in HS cause they stole all the girls. But in the end you just have to live with it.

5. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

I would have gone with Bob Slidell, but I'm sure someone would have figured it out.

6. SweetDaddyO

i came up with it during a massively hungover car ride back from New Orleans. we were discussing awesome names right after passing a sign for Slidell Louisiana. at first i suggested Gunner Slidell, but Gunner is a little much.

i still plan on naming all of my children after American Gladiators, however.

7. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

Oh the days at Keesler.

8. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

:wiggle:

9. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

I haven't really noticed it around Ft. Bragg except just the sheer lack of women in the first place. My buddy was up at Ft. Cambell for Air Assault a few weeks ago and he said it was just crawling with married chicks everywhere. Out looking for dick cause all their husbands are deployed. Its pretty sad. Probably not the best idea to get married at a hung age and be in the Military. In most circumstances its asking for disaster.

10. darnit

darnit New Member

San Deigo (city and county)women hate the military..
    Texas(witchata falls) loved the Navy but hated Air farce/Army
    NJ-middle ground.

11. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

That's a HUGE affirmative at Camp Lejeune.
    The Marine Corps is what has made that city grow though.

I don't even bother telling people I'm in the Marines down there even if they can pretty much just tell by looking at you.
    Some clubs do the same shit though. What ever...I have better ways and places to spend my money at.

12. Capitals

Capitals Guest

Chattan in Okinawa is the same way execpt it's impossible to make up a fake name/job. If you're not Japanese you're either in the military or an ex-military civilian contracter. Military towns suck.

13. BillyJackNCoke

BillyJackNCoke I've got something to say, I raped your mother tod

what base are you at in Okinawa?

14. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

When i'm in a military town, I just don't mention to those around me that i'm in the service. Most can't tell.

But when i'm in some town where there isn't any base for several hundred miles, I flaunt that shit, and everybody loves it. Discounts and free meals abound, especially in uniform. And them girls haven't been "desensetized" yet. :naughty:

15. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

It's even worse at oversease bases. You get the "Yankee" stigma + the "Military" stigma ftl.

It doesn't help matters that Americans stick out like sore thumbs, and drunken assholes that are also American stick out even more. :ugh:

16. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

To make it worse most dont know the language

17. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

yuma arizona really isnt that bad. however the lady population kinda sucks. when i go out i try not to mention that im a marine to people. its kinda hard not to spot marines out though. but hopefully my low reg helps me out a bit =\

18. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

norfolk, virginia a.k.a. nofuck, vagina

nuff said.

19. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I definitely felt the stigma in Colorado Springs, CO (Fort Carson) while I was active duty Army. The odd thing was, the whole area loved the Air Force. There were three AF bases in the area (Peterson, Schreiver and the AFA). Every father wanted their daughter to meet an AFA Cadet. One girl I went out with would always tell me about something "her friend (insert name), the cadet" was doing or had done. It was annoying. Annoying to the point I wanted to kick a cadet down the escalator at the mall. I tried wearing a Colorado Rockies or Denver Broncos hat around, but they could still pick me out since I had an accent. Even wore an Air Force Falcons had and had some success. When the ladies asked if I was in the Air Force, I said I was just a fan of the football team. Most of the time, they just assumed.

20. Capitals

Capitals Guest

Camp Foster, you over here?

21. Capitals

Capitals Guest

The military has a ton of rape cases for little japanese girls here so it's not uncommon for them to hate us severley. An airforce tech sgt. molested some little elementary school girl a couple months ago.

22. BillyJackNCoke

I'm on Kadena

23. BillyJackNCoke

you can go off base regularly.....and I'm not totally sure about other bases here but Kadena Air Base has a liberty card program where E-4s and below that have blue cards have to be on base from 0100-0600 on weekends and 1200-0500 during the week........the DUIs are really bad here we're at 13 days since our last DUI. The commander said if we get 60 days without a DUI we'll have a base down day. So far the most we've had is 30.

24. eter

eter New Member

:rofl:

25. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I used to live on Kinser.