MIL Military Question---MOS Related

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TRN, Jun 10, 2004.

1. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I enlisted about 2 months ago in the USMC. My ship date is 9/7/04
    Now I know recruiters are by no means honest and nothing is promised to you.
    At my initial meeting with my recruiter I told him I wanted to be an MP. I have since reiterated this to him and his superior every time I have had contact with them. His superior called about a month ago and asked me if I wanted to ship early since they had a slot open for Intel. I told him no.
    It has come to my attention that he (the supervisor) still has me marked down as shipping for Military Intelligence.

My plans for the future are to get into law enforcement.
    I guess I'm just looking for opinions as to what everyone thinks as far as what can be gained from each MOS.
    Pros & cons to each MP or Intel.

As I see it right now I see them both being equally useful to me, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance. :wavey:

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

intel might lead to other fields, whereas MP will leave you pretty much with a LE career after the corps, and NOTHING else. after your time is up, you will have gained no other useful skills. if you're in it for skills and a future job outside the military, go with intel. as for recruiters lying, make sure your contract that you signed doesn't say that they can switch shit on a whim. i know the corps likes to promote the fact that you're in there to be a marine, and they'll put marines in any field they need them in, not the field the marines want to be in.

3. grnstreak

grnstreak New Member

hey, i just got out of the USMC recently and here is how it works as far as MOS's go. what they guarantee you isn't a specific job, but a specific field. So they'll tell you, "yeah of course we can send you in as a cobra helicopter mechanic." but all they can really guarantee is that you'll be a mechanic for aircraft. each field is designated by the MOS number. within that field could be 10 different jobs. so you'll get one of those 10 jobs, but they can't guarantee which one. hope that makes sense.

I had an situation in which i was "guaranteed" aviation electoronics. however, there was a mistake in the paperwork (you'll find that it happens quite a bit), and i was given a totally different MOS which was the data field (working with computers). i had a choice to stay in MCT for anywhere from 2 weeks to a year or accept the new MOS and just go. i chose to go with the computers.

My friend that i went in with was an MP so i can tell you a little about that. you won't usually end up right into a job of driving the police cars and arresting people. a lot of times you get sent to security duties which can be both in country and out of country. once that's done (it takes about a year or two) you get assigned to a base and work the admin side of the police work as you work into the job of driving the cars, etc.

The intel side isn't always glamorous. our intel marines (usually the S-2 dept) were more often than not doing work with maps and providing information to the other groups about how they would expect the enemy to be positioned, and also do cleanup details after everyone left a position to make sure no signs of us being there were left behind.

as for my opinion on the overall thing, i say go in no matter what. the marine corps is a great stepping stone for when you get out. especially for things like law enforcement because they look at you as someone with experience. but there's other things like the GI Bill that will allow you to go to college when you are out and not have to worry about paying for it. Employers in corporations like military backgrounds because you are taught leadership and understand fundamentals of things like teamwork a little better than most people your age with no prior job experience.

hope that answers a little bit for ya :)

4. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Guest

I also recently got out of the military after 8 years of service in the Army. My initial MOS, 11B, is nothing more than an infantry man. But I had the Airborne and Ranger schools guaranteed in my enlistment contract. During different missions with my Ranger Battalion we would work with the Intel guys. And those guys are the backbone of all the military. I later switched my MOS into Intel to get a better grasp of things and plan better for my future. I ended up getting better skills than the Infantry was going to get me and I also ended up with a higher security clearance. That right there is the ticket. Mt brother was an MP in the Army and it took him atleast 3 or 4 years before he was able to go on patrol, or do admin. His 1st two years were standing at the guard shacks checking ID's. He's now a cop in TX, but it took about a year to even get the job. From his experiences, most departments like to hire ex-military, but prefer some civie so they can train him/her their way. I work with a 4 year ex-Marine who was a camera operator (yeah he still thinks he's still in the Corp), and I guess that's career field in Marine Intel, who also has a high security clearance. We both work for Homeland Security, and we're doing REALLY well thanks to the clearance. If you go Intel, that'll be worth it IMO. You'd be surprised what an active clearance can get you once you're out. Just keep your nose clean and don't do anything that would compromise your clearance.

5. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where the Intel school for the USMC is located by chance? :dunno:

6. grnstreak

grnstreak New Member

It's conducted at the Navy Marine Corps Intelligence Training Center (NMITC) in Dam Neck, VA.

7. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

:cool:

Thanks for the answer.