MIL military privatized housing

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by greenpillow, Jul 10, 2006.

1. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

DO you live on a base with privatized housing? They say that our housing will be privatized by next march and the rent will be 1200 if not more.... Most of the people on our block are E5 or below.. so most of us will have to move off and to somewhere else like back home or in to a crappy neghborhood and im not sure if you have been to a crappy neighborhood here but mail is not delivered due to daily shootings:ugh: not a place where i would like to raise my kids.

Can they seriously charge $1200 for rent for on base housing?:eek3:

2. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

If they are...they're going to reimburse you with exact amount BAH.

3. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Oh and what base...I'll google it and see what the story is.

4. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

They've been saying they would privatize the housing at Altus for the last few years. Has never happened. Doubt it will anytime soon.

5. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

Barksadale AFB i have heard so many stories i dont know what to think..

6. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

You should have no out of pocket expenses.

7. Jyokker

Get out of base housing and buy one. Quit throwing your money away.

8. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

houses here are in good neighborhoods or in bad ones... will no delive mail.. good ones cost at the very least 150K for a 2 bed 1 bath.. :ugh: in this area.. if i was going to buy a house i would do so in Texas not in LA since the hurricanes none of the neighborhoods are that great.. Btw i enjoy live a walk away from the commisary and BX gas station childrens parks and medical crew.. i also like being able to have kids for my kids to play with and always having a neighbor to be there in case i need them and vice versa granted some of them are crappy neighbors but alot of them are very nice people.. these houses im in are very very nice and i would like to stay here untill the husband finishes up school and commissions..

not to many house have a wood floor and a fire place
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  9. Jyokker

You will be happy with that house until you have to move out of it. Housing will screw you if you let them. I prefer to put my BAH to work instead of losing it. I am in Biloxi, the area is not different. I lived in housing for 3 years. I will never make that mistake again.

10. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

nice pics :bigthumb:

11. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

i'm currently throwing my money away in base housing. my wife was too apprehensive about buying. so we didn't.

anyway, it's privitized. you rent is whatever your bah is. they're gettng ready to start making us pay for utilities - they're going to take 110% of our average, and reduce our rent by that much and then we pay our utilities from there.

12. evan2

evan2 Guest

is this new housing or old shit? they wanted to do this at eglin too but i think the whole project would take too long and cost to much and it got dropped

basically its on af land with contractor bulit housing and they are your landlord

not a bad deal if you get a nice house

i enjoy my house on base, fairford has some of the best housing ive seen
    plus it was renovated 2 years ago

13. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

It hurt to read that.

14. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

The privitized family housing is a fucking sham. Rent will be exactly what you're maximum allowed BAH will be. Fuck that shit.

15. Jyokker

man up and buy.

16. Jyokker

I get $1123 a month for BAH. I pay $980 for mortgage, electricity, water, sewage, and trash. The amount being applied to principle will build equity in my house. I also pocket $143 a month. No one tells me when to mow my grass. I could sell the house now, after three months of ownership and make at least $4k - a conservative estimate.

My point isn't to toot my own horn, it is to try to inspire you to invest in a house now so you aren't kicking yourself in the rear five years from now.

17. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

we get 700 around abouts.. if a house is 130k for a 3 br house.. we would be spending out of pocket..

18. ManinCamo

I would buy, but woth privitzation, you're locked in a contract - 12 months, there is a pcs clause.

19. darnit

darnit New Member

Privatization is the worse thing to happen to the Military. It completely destroys moral and puts our troops and their families in harms way.
    • If the housing is off base, like many are, you still have MP patrolling; once you get privatized, that stops. Along with any other base emergency services.
    • If they don’t fill a certain percentage of the house with military, then can rent to; Retired, DOD employees, reserves, and if there still is a large amount of vacancies….Civilians.
    • Since we transfer every so often, vacancies will happen, they minute they rent to a civilian, the unit is gone. In time there will be no one but civilians in housing. Here are the problems with renting to civilians.
    a. No chain of command for recourse
    b. They pay a different amount than military ( My wife called and said she had nothing to do with the military and they quoted $1300 for a two bedroom with utilities, but yet I know an E-7 that loses all of his BAH, a lot more than $1300 for a two bedroom)
    c. Some civilians just don’t understand, and are unwilling to accept the military mindset.
    d. No Background checks done on civilian that move on to federal property. I know that could happen if the Military member lives out in town, but this is supposed to be housing, where there is some safety.

• The rules are different for Military and civilian living in housing, ie pets, deposits, etc.
    There is a whole lot more problems.. The only good so far I have seen is maintenance is faster.

20. ManinCamo

darnit, thats not true - your information and whole line of thinking is flawed. I don't like privitized housing, but your info is wrong.

For the MP patrolling - The private housing is still on military property, and patrolled regularly.

I have a buddy in off-base-onbase housing, at Wright-Pat AFB,OH - they have someone through the neighborhood almost constantly.

I live on-base-onbase housing. We have regular SP patrols.

Both still get base emergency stuff.

Civilians in on-base housing - yea, I could see that being a small problem, but its not ever going to all civilians. Most housing has a waiting list to get in/on. I doubt they'll have issue filling it. Three of my neighbors PCS'd, withina week their houses were filled again.

21. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

1. I'm so, so sorry you're at Altus (Val's ftw)

2. They've been saying the same thing at Travis for a long time, too.

22. Isamu

Isamu New Member

DMAFB wants to be privatized by 2010..
    I agree with Jyokker 100%.. buying is the way to go.. i havn't yet.. but i am looking.. and will probably buy when i get back from Africa

23. C5Load

buying is the way to go for most, but those of us in the bay area (or most of california in general) would get hosed buying at a time like this.

24. C5Load

Djibouti?

25. Biggity

Biggity Only the dead have seen the end of war

Meade is privitazed by Picerne, and they blow. They wanted us to move into a townhouse which is smaller than the one we rent. :ugh: and we make money on renting (pocket about 150) we would lose that by moving on base. Our rent just went up, so we purchased a home, we're due to settle in 8 days. With buying we'll lose about 150 a month, but that 150 is well worth twice the space of base housing